• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Rabbit's Rithmetic A Claim

#41 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-April-08, 08:38

I thought he was being sarcastic about the EBU Director classes.

#42 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-08, 09:20

Again. and again, and again, when you claim, make a clear and complete statement of your intended line of play. No shortcuts. If you don't do that, you have only yourself to blame if the director rules your claim not valid, and thus you are entirely missing the point if you decide you will never claim again. It's not the director who's the bad guy in this scenario, it's you, the claimer.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#43 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-09, 07:07

View Postbillw55, on 2016-April-08, 07:10, said:

IMO if that is a correct ruling, it goes a long way to explaining why some players are reluctant to claim.

It is clearly a correct ruling, but I think that a more frequent reason people are reluctant to claim is that until all of the cards left are clearly winners, it can take longer to explain the line of play than to just play it out. Also, of course, in MPs you can try to coax an error out of the opponents. I am not sure whether this is ethical, but am inclined to believe that it is.

View Postbarmar, on 2016-April-08, 08:38, said:

I thought he was being sarcastic about the EBU Director classes.

No, Lamford definitely believes that the Club and County director courses are excellent. And I agree with him.

Because they are excellent and also fun, most London (and England?) clubs have loads of spare directors around -- which helps the less experienced director and ensures that no one has to direct too often.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#44 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-09, 07:14

View PostVampyr, on 2016-April-09, 07:07, said:

It is clearly a correct ruling, but I think that a more frequent reason people are reluctant to claim is that until all of the cards left are clearly winners, it can take longer to explain the line of play than to just play it out. Also, of course, in MPs you can try to coax an error out of the opponents. I am not sure whether this is ethical, but am inclined to believe that it is.

No, Lamford definitely believes that the Club and County director courses are excellent. And I agree with him.

Because they are excellent and also fun, most London (and England?) clubs have loads of spare directors around -- which helps the less experienced director and ensures that no one has to direct too often.

Yes they are are excellent, and they spend their time discussing law rulings, rather than whether people are spectators or players.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#45 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-April-09, 09:16

Also, of course, in MPs you can try to coax an error out of the opponents. I am not sure whether this is ethical, but am inclined to believe that it is.

So am I.

Law 73E: A player may appropriately attempt to deceive an opponent through a call or play (so long as the deception is not protected by concealed partnership understanding or experience).

Seems close enough.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#46 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-April-09, 09:17

View Postlamford, on 2016-April-09, 07:14, said:

Yes they are are excellent, and they spend their time discussing law rulings, rather than whether people are spectators or players.

I don't understand the point of this comment. After all, you're the one who brought it up.
--------------------

#47 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-April-09, 10:56

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-April-09, 09:16, said:

Seems close enough.

I don't think that law is really necessary in this case. The question is whether playing out in case an opponent makes a mistake counts as trying to "disconcert" them, since the law against delaying says that this is not allowed. But if you're merely "confusing" them ("Hmm, I wonder why he isn't conceding, did I miscount something?"), that's allowed.

I have a partner who rarely gives up hoping for an extra trick, even when it's obviously hopeless. She claims when she has the rest of the tricks, but I almost never see her concede when she's run out of tricks.

#48 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2016-April-09, 15:25

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-April-09, 09:17, said:

I don't understand the point of this comment. After all, you're the one who brought it up.

I did not want to deter people from attending because they were worried it would be a linguistics course or they would need a degree in English (or perhaps Mathematics) to understand it.

#49 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-10, 06:31

How do people rule on an alternate hand where the Rabbit is missing the Queen, not the King? That is, the Rabbit thinks he is missing the Queen only, but is in fact missing Qx, and only the x pops up when he plays the first round of the suit?

#50 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2016-April-10, 06:39

View PostStevenG, on 2016-April-10, 06:31, said:

How do people rule on an alternate hand where the Rabbit is missing the Queen, not the King? That is, the Rabbit thinks he is missing the Queen only, but is in fact missing Qx, and only the x pops up when he plays the first round of the suit?

If the Rabbit is missing only two hearts, then he will follow his reliable rule on whether to finesse for the queen (ten ever, eleven never). Of course he is applying the rule for when he is missing the king, but it is quite an achievement for him to remember any rule at all. So he will play for the drop, as failure to do so even for the Rabbit would be worse than careless.

If he is missing Qxx, then he will be deemed to take a losing first-round finesse, as the superior line of winning a top honour and then entering dummy to take a marked finesse will be way beyond him.

Which reminds me of a puzzle from a friend. Holding KJ9xx opposite AT8xx, how do you guarantee no loser if the suit breaks 3-0? There is no opposition bidding, and no inference can be drawn from the opening lead.

#51 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-11, 06:11

... but I think that a more frequent reason people are reluctant to claim is that until all of the cards left are clearly winners, it can take longer to explain the line of play than to just play it out.

Definitely agree with this.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users