• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Rabbit's Rithmetic A Claim

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-05, 07:43

MP pairs.

There was an interesting claim ruling at a recent North London Club duplicate. North, who looks and behaves like a Secretary Bird, took his full 10 seconds to pass over 4C, even though West had withdrawn the stop card early, and it seeemed to South, one of the club's weakest members, that North was thinking of bidding. He gambled, quite unethically, with a wild leap to 6 and SB decided to add a seventh - after all it could scarcely be worse than a heart hook into the long club suit.

West led a top club and RR claimed. His statement was "Drawing the trump. I have seven heart tricks - the king is the only one out - and six tricks in the side suits". West protested that the king of hearts was not the only trump out, and the TD was called. SB was quick to guide him. "The rabbit clearly thought he had twelve hearts", he stated. "And even for someone of his class, if you can find someone that bad, to finesse when there is only one out would be irrational". "I don't agree", replied West, "RR might win the club in dummy and lead a heart and when East follows to the first round of hearts with a small one, not the king, RR might reconsider and play the pre-emptor for the shorter hearts and finesse". How would you rule? Most of the other pairs were in 6H=, although a couple had dropped the king of hearts and made 6H+1.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-05, 08:18

The claim statement is clear on the intent to play the A. Result stands.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-05, 08:22

The claim is easy - stated line is A followed by 6 side suit winners, which results in 13 tricks. Dealing with the ethical side is another matter but there is no guarantee that that will even come to light.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2016-April-05, 08:36

View Postbillw55, on 2016-April-05, 08:18, said:

The claim statement is clear on the intent to play the A. Result stands.

The rabbit did not say that he intended to lead the A. He implied it, sure. "Drawing the trump" breaks down because trump is singular and there are two out. In the US "drawing trump" is used for more than one I believe. When the claim statement breaks down we revert to the worst normal line, so I think the intent to play the ace of hearts is only in order to "draw the trump". Playing devil's advocate for a moment ...

#5 User is offline   Manastorm 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-05, 09:47

Not making. It is not clear how declarer planned to play the hand. A reasonable line is to play a heart towards the ace, however declarer is going to wake up as mentioned and then the finesse must be taken and it fails.

#6 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-05, 10:05

The claim statement makes it clear that the Rabbit intends to ruff trick one in hand and not play the ace of clubs. After all, he intends to draw the trump and take "SIX tricks in the side suits". If he plays the A from dummy, it may get ruffed by East and there are only 5 tricks left in the side suits.

Conclusion: The claim statement translates to "ruff club in hand with the 5, play AQJT96, cash AK, cash AKQ, cash A". 13 tricks.

Typical for the rabbit. Karapet, in the West seat, will complain for the rest of his life that RR would have been down on a spade lead. Blame it on the curse of 1392 by the witch of Ararat.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2016-April-05, 10:12

"the king is the only one out". How do you play that trump suit?

Having said that, if you win on the board, and play a heart to the Ace, and the 2 shows up, now what?

So the only argument I'm willing to look at is "win this with the Ace" (which is stupid, but not Rabbit Stupid - in fact, I'd say it's Flight B Stupid), "then play a heart, then when the 2 shows that he doesn't in fact have 12 trump, guess to finesse." If you don't believe it's normal* for this player to win trick 1 with the A, given the claim statement, then you can't give them this line.

"I'll ruff this, then pull the trump (only the K is out),..." makes 7.

The ethics of 6 is one that I can't really deal with, given that over here, Stop Card use is ... erratic.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-05, 13:01

View Postlamford, on 2016-April-05, 08:36, said:

The rabbit did not say that he intended to lead the A. He implied it, sure. "Drawing the trump" breaks down because trump is singular and there are two out. In the US "drawing trump" is used for more than one I believe. When the claim statement breaks down we revert to the worst normal line, so I think the intent to play the ace of hearts is only in order to "draw the trump". Playing devil's advocate for a moment ...

Thinking that only the K is outstanding, the intent to play the A is about as obvious as it gets.

If the trump lead comes from dummy, the "worst normal line" certainly includes playing the A anyway, for this class of player. And perhaps for any player - after all, they just failed to count to 13.
-gwnn

#9 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2016-April-05, 14:19

View Postbillw55, on 2016-April-05, 13:01, said:

Thinking that only the K is outstanding, the intent to play the A is about as obvious as it gets.

If the trump lead comes from dummy, the "worst normal line" certainly includes playing the A anyway, for this class of player. And perhaps for any player - after all, they just failed to count to 13.

The worst normal line means the "least successful normal line" and that is clearly to win with the ace of clubs and finesse the heart, waking up when the two appears. And it does not matter if the ace of clubs is ruffed. Correct play of the hand is to try the ace of clubs (even the rabbit knows what to do if that is ruffed small) and to finesse the heart. His statement that he is "drawing the one missing trump" has no validity whatsoever and the rule that says that the TD should resolve the claim as equitably as possible means the rabbit is one down.

He made no statement about the order of the play of his cards. He made no statement about where he would (try to) win trick one. So he gets the normal one off.

#10 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2016-April-05, 14:22

View Postmycroft, on 2016-April-05, 10:12, said:

So the only argument I'm willing to look at is "win this with the Ace" (which is stupid, but not Rabbit Stupid - in fact, I'd say it's Flight B Stupid)

Given that the no-cost play of playing the A is routine for all but Flight C players, I presume you belong to the latter category - sub-Rabbit level?

#11 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2016-April-05, 14:28

View PostTrinidad, on 2016-April-05, 10:05, said:

Conclusion: The claim statement translates to "ruff club in hand with the 5, play AQJT96, cash AK, cash AKQ, cash A". 13 tricks.

No, the claim statement does not translate to anything. No order of play of the cards was given and it breaks down when the Rabbit said "draw the trump - there is only one out"

#12 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2016-April-05, 14:33

View PostTrinidad, on 2016-April-05, 10:05, said:

If he plays the A from dummy, it may get ruffed by East and there are only 5 tricks left in the side suits.

Not so; aside from the fact that if East ruffs the ace of clubs, declarer never loses a heart and can claim, he also does have six tricks in the side suits as the last heart will squeeze East in the pointed suits, even if the Rabbit forgets to ruff a diamond in dummy. He will thus make seven hearts, three spades, two diamonds, and an extra card in a pointed suit from the squeeze. Two extra cards in fact, so maybe it should be scored as 7H+1?

#13 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2016-April-05, 15:23

View Postlamford, on 2016-April-05, 14:33, said:

Not so; aside from the fact that if East ruffs the ace of clubs, declarer never loses a heart and can claim, he also does have six tricks in the side suits as the last heart will squeeze East in the pointed suits, even if the Rabbit forgets to ruff a diamond in dummy. He will thus make seven hearts, three spades, two diamonds, and an extra card in a pointed suit from the squeeze. Two extra cards in fact, so maybe it should be scored as 7H+1?
Seriously, you're telling me that someone that would try to win the A here (if he thinks he's got "7 hearts and 6 winners" - yes you caught me) will then manage to pull all the trump but doesn't see that 4 winners and two ruffs is game; will clearly run a(n automatic, okay) squeeze, and having done it, figure out which suit is good?

You're right, it's no-lose given the ruffs. But I was focussed on the "6 winners". I'm allowed to be lucky, too :-)

Okay, the argument is that since all lines work, that the potential losing line must be followed to provide a decision point; and that the only lie of the hearts that we will give the Rabbit is 1-1 with K onside (Kx with East we play for the drop; this lie, we finesse). I do admit that "pull the only trump and I have 6 winners" leans me to an implication of the winning line; OTOH, I can't see why it should. [Edit: Wait, we are also ruling against the Rabbit when the hearts are 1-1 with K onside when the clubs are 9-4-0-0, aren't we? Club, A, ruff K, overruff, trumps are out, whichever suit West has one of is led, and the second round is ruffed.]
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#14 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-05, 16:43

If I had to rule in this situation (ouch) With the club A at trick 1 a superior play ducking and trumping in hand (least rational) and should be chosen so declarer ruffs. Once that happens it becomes irrational to play any more top cards before the stated intent of drawing trump king has been accomplished. That means declarer will have to lay down the heart A
and drop the (as expected) stiff heart K from lho never seeing rho drop a heart. The rabbit nods sagely and runs out the rest of the 13 tricks as claimed. Making 7 and then I walk away wondering why I ever took up this crazy game in the first place:))))

#15 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-05, 18:02

View Postlamford, on 2016-April-05, 14:19, said:

The worst normal line means the "least successful normal line" and that is clearly to win with the ace of clubs and finesse the heart, waking up when the two appears. And it does not matter if the ace of clubs is ruffed. Correct play of the hand is to try the ace of clubs (even the rabbit knows what to do if that is ruffed small) and to finesse the heart. His statement that he is "drawing the one missing trump" has no validity whatsoever and the rule that says that the TD should resolve the claim as equitably as possible means the rabbit is one down.

He made no statement about the order of the play of his cards. He made no statement about where he would (try to) win trick one. So he gets the normal one off.

I don't agree. IMO assigning the finesse amounts to enforcing a line of play contrary to his claim statement.
-gwnn

#16 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2016-April-06, 07:08

View Postmycroft, on 2016-April-05, 15:23, said:

Seriously, you're telling me that someone that would try to win the A here (if he thinks he's got "7 hearts and 6 winners" - yes you caught me) will then manage to pull all the trump but doesn't see that 4 winners and two ruffs is game; will clearly run a(n automatic, okay) squeeze, and having done it, figure out which suit is good?

Even a rabbit might play the ace of clubs in case he has miscounted the trumps, when East ruffs ending all problems. In fact, it is even more important for a rabbit to play the ace of clubs here. That will give East a losing option with Kx of trumps. He doesn't need the squeeze of course, that is just showing off. A simple diamond ruff in dummy will suffice.

#17 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2016-April-06, 07:11

View Postgszes, on 2016-April-05, 16:43, said:

With the club A at trick 1 a superior play ducking and trumping in hand (least rational) and should be chosen so declarer ruffs.

You are not supposed to choose the least rational. You are supposed to choose the least successful! That happens to be best play, of playing the ace of clubs and finessing the heart, around 12 to 5 on. He is able to "draw the trump" wherever he wins trick one, so is assumed to win it in dummy as that is clearly best. If best play fails, and the claim was deficient or breaks down, it is quite ridiculous to give the rabbit an inferior but successful line!

And it is quite interesting as to whether you punish (adjust, sorry blackshoe) the Rabbit for wrongly concluding that SB was thinking of bidding and jumping wildly to slam. SB always and meticulously takes ten seconds even after (Pass)-1NT-(Pass)-3NT so there was no UI.

#18 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2016-April-06, 07:23

View Postmycroft, on 2016-April-05, 15:23, said:

[Edit: Wait, we are also ruling against the Rabbit when the hearts are 1-1 with K onside when the clubs are 9-4-0-0, aren't we? Club, A, ruff K, overruff, trumps are out, whichever suit West has one of is led, and the second round is ruffed.]

Indeed, and if West is 3-1-0-9 I think the Rabbit goes off as well, because he will overruff, cash three top spades, notice they are 3-3, and cash a winning spade to throw a diamond loser while West ruffs. Basically we rule against the rabbit whenever there is a "normal" line to go off. Because his claim statement was gobbledygook. If he had claimed silently, I hope you would rule one off. He has been advised to claim silently by SB many times, as he then gets the least successful rational line, and he often does worse than that if he plays it out.

#19 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-06, 08:11

I think I have more sympathy with Lamford's devil's advocacy on this ruling than on many others. If you try too hard to follow a claim line that does not make sense then you risk tying yourself in knots. When the claim statement breaks down (in terms of its linguistic rather than bridge logic) then it seems sensible to revert to how you would rule in the absence of a statement, and in this case that means one down - as it would also mean if RHO had Kx of hearts.

#20 User is online   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-06, 08:33

View PostManastorm, on 2016-April-05, 09:47, said:

Not making. It is not clear how declarer planned to play the hand. A reasonable line is to play a heart towards the ace, however declarer is going to wake up as mentioned and then the finesse must be taken and it fails.

Considering what claimer said:

"Drawing the trump. I have seven heart tricks - the king is the only one out..."

Declarer claimed he would lose no hearts (tricks) and the HK was outstanding. When reading the claim above it is clear that there is exactly one way to play the first round of hearts. The ace must be played to the first round because that was the claim; looking at it from a different direction, to someone that 'believed' that there was exactly the HK outstanding, it would be irrational to not play the HA on the first round- and the presence of a 14th heart does not interrupt the claimed play of the HA on the first round.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users