BBO Discussion Forums: Type R Double Squeeze questions (C. Love) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Type R Double Squeeze questions (C. Love)

#1 User is offline   jimmyg010 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-April-04, 13:07

Hi, apologies if this is the wrong forum - not sure what qualifies as expert or not.

I'm reading C. Love's "Bridge Squeezes Complete" and have some questions regarding the Type R Double Squeeze:

1) Sometimes a double squeeze is sequential - the simple squeeze against one defender is extended while the other defender still has idle cards. In all examples in Love's book and hands I can construct myself, East is always squeezed before West (where South is the single threat hand - holding the right threat). Are there any examples where West gets squeezed first? If there aren't any, why not?

2) Love says, "Positions can be constructed where the left suit must be cashed last, but since you are unlikely ever to encounter one, the wording of the Rule ("cash left suit winners early") as it stands it satisfactory for practical purposes". Any examples of where this rule fails?

3) "When the hand opposite the common threat [South] has no winner in the common suit to serve as an entry, the squeeze card must be played from that hand". This makes sense, but can someone construct a Type R squeeze where, if South has an entry in the Common suit, North has the squeeze card and South's entry in the common suit is actually needed after the squeeze trick?

Many thanks for any help.

#2 User is offline   robert2734 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-04, 22:19

I can answer question three.
.............................. S 2
...............................H AK2
...............................D
...............................C
................S..............................S
................H QXX..........................H Jxx
................D A............................D
................C..............................C A
...............................S A
...............................H 3
...............................D 2
...............................C 2

In this position, South has no entry in the common suit which is hearts. The squeeze card of the ace of spades must be played from the south hand. If we switch the ace and 2 of spades, the squeeze fails because there's no way to reach the south hand.

...............................S A
...............................H A32
...............................D
...............................C
...............S.............................S
...............H QTx.........................H J9x
...............D A...........................D
...............C.............................C A
..............................S
..............................H K4
..............................D 2
..............................C 2

Here south has an entry in the common suit so the squeez card can be in north. On the ace of spades, east throws a heart to retain the ace of clubs, south throws the two of clubs and west is squeeze.

#3 User is offline   jimmyg010 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-April-05, 02:33

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately it doesn't quite answer the question as those aren't Type R squeezes. I need the single threat hand to have the right threat, but in your examples that hand (North) has the common threat.

#4 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2016-April-05, 09:44

View Postjimmyg010, on 2016-April-04, 13:07, said:

Hi, apologies if this is the wrong forum - not sure what qualifies as expert or not.

I'm reading C. Love's "Bridge Squeezes Complete" and have some questions regarding the Type R Double Squeeze:

1) Sometimes a double squeeze is sequential - the simple squeeze against one defender is extended while the other defender still has idle cards. In all examples in Love's book and hands I can construct myself, East is always squeezed before West (where South is the single threat hand - holding the right threat). Are there any examples where West gets squeezed first? If there aren't any, why not?

2) Love says, "Positions can be constructed where the left suit must be cashed last, but since you are unlikely ever to encounter one, the wording of the Rule ("cash left suit winners early") as it stands it satisfactory for practical purposes". Any examples of where this rule fails?

3) "When the hand opposite the common threat [South] has no winner in the common suit to serve as an entry, the squeeze card must be played from that hand". This makes sense, but can someone construct a Type R squeeze where, if South has an entry in the Common suit, North has the squeeze card and South's entry in the common suit is actually needed after the squeeze trick?

Many thanks for any help.

Hi jimmyg010. Probably what i said in topic "Double squeeze technique in C. Love" answers to you: see http://www.bridgebas...post__p__796330

#5 User is offline   jimmyg010 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-April-06, 06:36

Hi Lovera,

Assuming you mean this post:

"Indipendently from the Exercise 31 let's study this position: Q 9 in North against J 10 in West in spade, K 8 and A 6 2 in North South against Q x x and J x x
in West East in heart, diamond J in South against Q in East, Ace in South in club and 2 in North. When you play club Ace West pitch heart otherwise you have the
extra trick, then little heart to King but when you play spade Queen East must discard heart or diamond and you 'll have the extra trick. "

I have rotated the hands so that South has the single threat (the right threat) to keep it consistent with my original set of questions.

I believe you've answered question 3, so thank you! South does indeed need the KH entry and North has the squeeze card.

---

That leaves questions 1 and 2. I have no idea about 2, but my suspicion for 1 is that there are no Type R sequential double squeezes where West is squeezed before East (indeed, in the hand above East is squeezed before West again). I think the reason is because the squeeze against West is positional: you need to play the squeeze card from South, and upon West's discard you must throw either a threat or a small card needed as an entry from North - this destroys the squeeze against East. Perhaps this is correct? It's not exactly a proof though!

#6 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-06, 07:39

View Postjimmyg010, on 2016-April-06, 06:36, said:

Hi Lovera,

Assuming you mean this post:

"Indipendently from the Exercise 31 let's study this position: Q 9 in North against J 10 in West in spade, K 8 and A 6 2 in North South against Q x x and J x x
in West East in heart, diamond J in South against Q in East, Ace in South in club and 2 in North. When you play club Ace West pitch heart otherwise you have the
extra trick, then little heart to King but when you play spade Queen East must discard heart or diamond and you 'll have the extra trick. "

I have rotated the hands so that South has the single threat (the right threat) to keep it consistent with my original set of questions.

I believe you've answered question 3, so thank you! South does indeed need the KH entry and North has the squeeze card.

---

That leaves questions 1 and 2. I have no idea about 2, but my suspicion for 1 is that there are no Type R sequential double squeezes where West is squeezed before East (indeed, in the hand above East is squeezed before West again). I think the reason is because the squeeze against West is positional: you need to play the squeeze card from South, and upon West's discard you must throw either a threat or a small card needed as an entry from North - this destroys the squeeze against East. Perhaps this is correct? It's not exactly a proof though!

Hi, i have put the url also because you can read that Laocoon166 topic entirely for yours better knowledge; such as, have you seen post #21 by nige1 addressing to Pavlicek double squeezes examples ? This mine is infact the number 10 and another with automatic descarting is the n. 9 so that idle and squeeze card can exchange each other and you leading the heart King and spade Q before A obtein the positional balanced double sq. with 3 cards (type R). In post #21 by nige1 there is another type R presented also in reciprocal form, the n. 14 recessed reciprocal.

This post has been edited by Lovera: 2016-April-09, 18:00

#7 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-06, 08:17

As i think you can have understood i have this book ("this Dover edition, first published in 1968, is an unabridged republication of the work originally published in 1959."). About your point n. 2 this is written in the chapter II 23 second paragraph pag. 56 and in the fifth the author ends saying : "In the rare case when this is not possible, the squeeze fails. (An example presently [the exercise 26 pag. 59].)".

#8 User is offline   jimmyg010 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-April-06, 17:29

Unfortunately I'm not sure which sections of the book you're referring to as I have the new edition and the exercises seem to be numbered differently.

I'm also afraid I don't know how your most recent responses help towards my first and second questions!

#9 User is offline   jimmyg010 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-April-06, 19:17

I have found an interesting Type R sequential squeeze where one can choose who is squeezed first!

If South cashes AD first, East is squeezed. If AS is cashed first, a diamond or heart is pitched depending on West's discard (he is positional squeezed).

This means my answer to question 1 is yes.

As for question 2, I can't construct a hand where the left winner MUST be cashed last. Indeed in the hand above it can be cashed last, but this isn't required.

#10 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-07, 09:18

View Postjimmyg010, on 2016-April-06, 19:17, said:

I have found an interesting Type R sequential squeeze where one can choose who is squeezed first!

If South cashes AD first, East is squeezed. If AS is cashed first, a diamond or heart is pitched depending on West's discard (he is positional squeezed).

This means my answer to question 1 is yes.

As for question 2, I can't construct a hand where the left winner MUST be cashed last. Indeed in the hand above it can be cashed last, but this isn't required.

This type of is termed "reciprocal squeeze" where the two winners that are toghether at unilaterals, squeeze reciprocally and at turn the opponents. When where is no winner with unilaterals you have a simultaneous ending where on the same trick opp are squeezed (three endings) and when there is instead a winner toghether you have a sequential (usually four endings but there is another with unilateral blocked). Love studies endings not operating a separation among types and rules should satisfy the same but, it being that his analisys is different and goes deeply about argoument from rappresentation by others authors, perhaps can help to differentiate.

#11 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-08, 10:03

About point 2: the author continues telling "In 20 you were told to cash the L winners when in doubt. We have now learned that for Type R - commonest of the three forms - this a standard procedure. Thus in planning the execution of a double squeeze , the first step (after identifying the threats ) is to note whether the squeeze is Type R of Type B. If Type R, get rid of those L winners! In most cases, the rest of the hand will play itself. Let us point out explicity the failing case. If South holds neither a B winner nor the last L, then all L's "must" be cashed while South has remaining an F or R "entry", in addition to the last F-R winner (squeeze card). That is, Declarer must be able to re-enter the South hand and "then" lead the final squeeze-card. In the rare case when this is not possible, the squeeze fails. (An example presently.) (From Love text pagg. 56 and 57)

#12 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-08, 23:43

The exercise 26 on pag. 59: "Bidding N/S (opp silent) -/2, 2/3, 4/4NT, 5/7NT, all pass West leads J North A6542 10652 A2 107 South KQ AKQ4 QJ AKQJ8 T.1: East plays 8. Queen wins. T. 2: K. East discards 3. Spread the hand for contract . Analysis 26. West J10973 9 10754 532 East 8 J873 K9863 964 Two rounds of Heart will espose the situation. If East has a stopper, Type R double squeeze with threats R, 4; L, 6; B, 2. Cross in Clubs ; cash A (last L winner); run the Clubs. If West stop Hearts , Spade-Heart simple (left to you). Note that with 10, 9 switched , the simple squeeze would still make but the double would fail (23, fifth paragraph.)."

#13 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-10, 01:41

I although suggest, expecially if you are reading the Love book (there is an up-to-date edition by J. Pottage) to remain and referring at the text for a more clear study of double squeeze in all its forms/endings and subsquently to watch reciprocal endings. The schemes in post #2 are i.e. two endings simultaneous type B (the third is a balanced with three cards and unilaterals divided). The sequentials have, as told, a winner with an unilateral and are becoming by a "trasformation of twin entry ending" having the double threat (=B) togheter squeeze card (with one or two winners as the case).

#14 User is offline   jimmyg010 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-April-11, 03:59

Many thanks for all your help, Lovera.

I've managed to answer question 2 and construct an example where the last left suit winner must be cashed last.

Playing in no-trumps, South can cash either ace first. Cashing AD first reduces the position to an ordinary simultaneous Type R double squeeze.

However if clubs (the free suit) are trumps, then the AC must be cashed first, squeezing West before East and meaning the last winner outside the common suit to be cashed is the left suit.

I have decided to classify all Type R double squeezes as follows:
- Simultaneous: last winner outside common is free suit.
- Sequential: one winner outside common and free suit that will squeeze one defender before the other
- Reciprocal: winners in left and right suit and none in free suit, choice of which defender to squeeze first.
- Recessed: the first squeeze card is held by North (really just an extended Sequential type where East is squeezed by North before entering the South hand to squeeze West).

#15 User is offline   jimmyg010 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-April-11, 04:55

In fact, the following squeeze answers all 3 questions at once! When clubs is trumps the AC must be cashed first, and so:
- West is squeezed first,
- The last winner to be cashed outside the common suit must be the left suit,
- South needs an entry in the common suit.

Solved!

Observe that in no-trumps, by cashing AD followed by AH the hand is just an ordinary simultaneous squeeze.

#16 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-11, 09:12

View Postjimmyg010, on 2016-April-11, 03:59, said:

Many thanks for all your help, Lovera.

I've managed to answer question 2 and construct an example where the last left suit winner must be cashed last.

Playing in no-trumps, South can cash either ace first. Cashing AD first reduces the position to an ordinary simultaneous Type R double squeeze.

However if clubs (the free suit) are trumps, then the AC must be cashed first, squeezing West before East and meaning the last winner outside the common suit to be cashed is the left suit.

I have decided to classify all Type R double squeezes as follows:
- Simultaneous: last winner outside common is free suit.
- Sequential: one winner outside common and free suit that will squeeze one defender before the other
- Reciprocal: winners in left and right suit and none in free suit, choice of which defender to squeeze first.
- Recessed: the first squeeze card is held by North (really just an extended Sequential type where East is squeezed by North before entering the South hand to squeeze West).

It is right. To adopt a terminology already used in official way (in this case by Chien-Hwa Wang and Romanet) "when is leaded the squeeze-card, West and East are squeezed at the same trick. It is called a "simultaneous" double squeeze. If the situation is such that one opponent is squeezed first, while this partner is squeezed at a later trick, it is called a "non simultaneous" double squeeze." The squeezes, then, are positional(=in favoureble or R position about threats) or automatic when interchanging E-W cards squeeze works yet. In reciprocal squeeze ,the suit with all winners is cashed entirely and winners with threats ending squeeze on opp turning. The term "recessed" is used ,although, to indicate that is another winners more in ending with threat.

#17 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-11, 09:25

View Postjimmyg010, on 2016-April-11, 04:55, said:

In fact, the following squeeze answers all 3 questions at once! When clubs is trumps the AC must be cashed first, and so:
- West is squeezed first,
- The last winner to be cashed outside the common suit must be the left suit,
- South needs an entry in the common suit.

Solved!

Observe that in no-trumps, by cashing AD followed by AH the hand is just an ordinary simultaneous squeeze.

When you have an idle opposite the squeeze card and tranfererts(=comunicants) are not one (as in Type B recessed in post #2) the squeeze card and idle can be in N or S indifferently.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users