• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Version 1.48r feedback thread Please post feedback and suggestions here

#61 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-18, 03:42

Posted Image

I never open it, don't know if it is normal.

#62 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-April-18, 08:16

lycier, on 2016-April-18, 03:42, said:

I never open it, don't know if it is normal.

Since about a month ago, if you're not logged in when a tournament ends, so you can't get the popup results, BBO sends you mail with the results. When we added challenges, they were included in this. So if you finish a challenge first, and you're not logged in when the other person finishes, you'll get the result in mail.

#63 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-April-20, 01:43

Hi Barmar :

Would you help me?
There is " BBO's 15th Birthday " on News Feed, I have no way to open its link, so I would ask you give me its link in your reply. Many thanks.

#64 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-20, 01:55

lycier, on 2016-April-20, 01:43, said:

Hi Barmar :

Would you help me?
There is " BBO's 15th Birthday " on News Feed, I have no way to open its link, so I would ask you give me its link in your reply. Many thanks.

http://webutil.bridg...tch.php?id=3334

#65 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-April-20, 05:01

Diana_eva, now I am glad to open it, how wonderful " Brief History of BBO ". Thanks.

#66 User is offline   heyrocky 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:mountains, college basketball, math

Posted 2016-April-24, 14:01

It isn't a crucial bug, but when I opened the new version and clicked on the VuGraph button this afternoon, I found the display below:

Attached File  Screenshot 2016-04-24 15.55.18.png (36.29K)
Number of downloads: 4

(Clicking on it shows a bigger image, at least on my Mac. I rarely, if ever, post images, obviously...)

It should be needless to say, but when I enter a room, there is more than one kibitzer. When I return to the table list after being at a table (which is probably legacy code), the number of kibitzers is more accurate.

Rich

#67 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-24, 14:49

heyrocky, on 2016-April-24, 14:01, said:

It isn't a crucial bug, but when I opened the new version and clicked on the VuGraph button this afternoon, I found the display below:

Screenshot 2016-04-24 15.55.18.png

(Clicking on it shows a bigger image, at least on my Mac. I rarely, if ever, post images, obviously...)

It should be needless to say, but when I enter a room, there is more than one kibitzer. When I return to the table list after being at a table (which is probably legacy code), the number of kibitzers is more accurate.

Rich

I can't see your image, but if the vugraph was Bridge Winners Challenge Match, that's not a real vugraph. It's an online match artificially linked on vugraph to make it easier for kibs to join it. That 1 kibitzer is the vugraph operator. As soon as you click the Join button you are taken to the real match, which has more kibs.

#68 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-27, 20:39

I expect that old news feeds remain available to view, if you know the URL, despite that they no longer are linked from the main screen. I reckon that one of the tabs currently devoted to a news feed should be reassigned to a general "archived news feeds" link.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#69 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-April-28, 09:07

Old news articles can be found at

http://webutil.bridg...ews_taglist.php

It's cumbersome, so we're probably not likely to make a link to it from the main application, but we don't have a problem sharing it when requested.

#70 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-16, 01:15

How do the daylong tournaments actually work? I've entered them several times and was assuming other people played the same hands; but having just played the Total Points daylong, I had a look at the top scorer and discovered they won because they were served up two grand slam deals, and I wasn't, which seems a bit bizarre.

#71 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-May-16, 08:33

smerriman, on 2016-May-16, 01:15, said:

How do the daylong tournaments actually work? I've entered them several times and was assuming other people played the same hands; but having just played the Total Points daylong, I had a look at the top scorer and discovered they won because they were served up two grand slam deals, and I wasn't, which seems a bit bizarre.

Each board number randomly selects among 25 different hands for each player.

This reduces problems with cheating, since a friend could tell you about their boards, but most of your boards will be different.

#72 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-16, 19:48

I can see it helps with cheating, but it also makes the tournament rather pointless, does it not? You can't say one person should rank higher than another just because they got dealt a better hand.

#73 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-May-17, 09:19

The expectation is that it will even out -- some players will get a better hand on board 1, other players get a better hand on board 2, and so on.

People play rubber bridge for money, which is highly dependent on who gets good hands.

#74 User is offline   42krunner 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-May-21, 21:35

barmar, on 2016-May-17, 09:19, said:

The expectation is that it will even out -- some players will get a better hand on board 1, other players get a better hand on board 2, and so on.

People play rubber bridge for money, which is highly dependent on who gets good hands.

Huh? Mean reversion doesn't happen in eight boards.

#75 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-May-22, 14:26

42krunner, on 2016-May-21, 21:35, said:

Huh? Mean reversion doesn't happen in eight boards.

No, but maybe across all the tournaments you play over time.

#76 User is offline   42krunner 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-26, 19:35

barmar, on 2016-May-22, 14:26, said:

No, but maybe across all the tournaments you play over time.

"In the long run we are all dead." -John Maynard Keynes

#77 User is offline   bbstar 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-June-08, 00:13

Two suggestions.

* Announcing the Free daylong tournament results should be more user friendly. Currently a "mail" is sent. This seems like a hack. It also means that If I log on, I cannot do anything else before reading/deleting my mail/mailbox. I cannot even logoff.
However on the right there are 3 tabs: 1. News, 2. Who's online, 3. Results. I suggest showing tournament results in one of those tabs on the right.
* If I am idle from BBO for 1 hour, then BBO displays a warning message "BBO thinks you are away". Why is there a sound alert with the message? I think the message is really low-priority one, if i don't click "OK" nothing bad happens. Please remove the sound from the message.

#78 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-08, 01:46

barmar, on 2016-May-17, 09:19, said:

True. But I guess the difference is in rubber bridge you're competing against your opponents at the table, so the strategy is a bit different.

With MPs or IMPs, every hand averages out to 0, so it doesn't matter which hands you play and they can be split up like in the tournaments without affecting the outcome much.

If playing TP in true duplicate (with everyone playing the same hands), it's very similar to IMPs, except the risks and rewards are weighted differently. When people play different hands though, it no longer works due to the lack of a 0 average.

Perhaps there is a way to calculate a weighted average so that you're still playing TP strategy, but in a way that gives everyone a chance of combined success? I guess that's basically turning it into IMPs, but..

(Eg, your score for a hand is the difference between the score for your contract and the median score for the hand - a mix of MPs, IMPs, but with TP weights.)

#79 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-June-08, 09:43

bbstar, on 2016-June-08, 00:13, said:

Two suggestions.

* Announcing the Free daylong tournament results should be more user friendly. Currently a "mail" is sent. This seems like a hack. It also means that If I log on, I cannot do anything else before reading/deleting my mail/mailbox. I cannot even logoff.

This is done for any tournament that you play in and completes while you're logged out, not just daylongs. If you don't feel like checking the results now, just close the mail window.

However on the right there are 3 tabs: 1. News, 2. Who's online, 3. Results. I suggest showing tournament results in one of those tabs on the right.

Reasonable suggestion, IMHO.

#80 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-08, 11:42

bbstar, on 2016-June-08, 00:13, said:

Two suggestions.

There is other mail apart from tourney results. Users want to know about mail in their mailbox then the log in. If you are not interested, you can get rid of the message with one click and later invoke the mail when it is more appropriate for you.

Tourney results are already shown under "My BBO - Hands and Results". They are not such important to grant them a new tab on the right.

* If I am idle from BBO for 1 hour, then BBO displays a warning message "BBO thinks you are away". Why is there a sound alert with the message? I think the message is really low-priority one, if i don't click "OK" nothing bad happens. Please remove the sound from the message.

Maybe the BBO window is minimized when the message occurs - then the sound is really useful if you like to stay logged in.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users