• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Version 1.48r feedback thread Please post feedback and suggestions here

#21 User is offline   matoh 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-April-05, 12:01

It is very ugly, blind and not intuitive. I still like the oldest version - client. You should come back to the client version - it is much faster and nicer. Each new version = getting worse. :-(

#22 User is offline   seleya 

• Pip

Posted 2016-April-05, 12:22

Why is it that when something wotks and is easy to use, the developer has to change it? This new version is just awful-- please b ring back the old version!

#23 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-05, 15:26

The massive free tourneys we're calling Daylong tourneys are back. (They had to be removed yesterday because of performance problems)

These are tourneys that run for the entire day, you get the whole day to play them. The field will be thousands of players if we do things right. We will keep monitoring and increasing limits.

One of the main features of these tourneys are still missing. They are meant to be cheat resistant by having a group of deals each player randomly receives when he joins the tourney. If all goes well, this will be in tomorrow.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#24 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-05, 16:04

barmar, on 2016-April-05, 09:37, said:

We can't do that until we add Vugraph Operator functions to the new version.

And we still have lots of long-time users who prefer the old version. We have said for a long time that we won't break it for them. About 25% of users still use the old version.

You should know this will become a serious problem.
It should say that the most of bbo complainers are from them, even many of them don't know web-client. They often complain about the lack of certain features, of course, hoping BBO add some powerful features, just like web-client, some of them is very difficult to understand why doesn't upgrade it since it have been still using old software.

#25 User is offline   Giddymon 

• Pip

Posted 2016-April-05, 22:17

How do get on the new version?

#26 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-April-05, 23:09

Giddymon, on 2016-April-05, 22:17, said:

How do get on the new version?

The original web link should automatically put you on the new version. No downloading or installation required - it is all server-based. If you have problems the first thing to try is to clear your browser cache.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#27 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-April-06, 05:05

I have a question about a translation problem on chinese language version, here is a screenshot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My question is why wouldn't you translate English " Challenges " into chinese character.

It is really amazing what a PK you would translate and use.

For chinese language, the exact meanings of PK is " sb have a competition to test sb's ability and skill". So your translation into PK is really very good.

For English, the exact meanings of " Challenges" here is " It motivates sb to step up to another level, to see if sb can meet the challenge."

So I think it would better translate " Challenges " into chinese " 挑战赛 " or " 挑战 " or “ PK赛 ”.

#28 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-April-06, 08:44

It takes time for all our translators to fill in all the new places, and we didn't want to hold the release until they're all done. It will be done soon.

#29 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-April-06, 15:12

No vertical scroll bar

as reported here

http://tinyurl.com/zfat5a6

It was identified in beta phase and is still there

It is by no means certain that BBO even acknowledge it as an issue.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#30 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-April-06, 15:19

In the dying moments of the beta testing phase I reported

http://tinyurl.com/hua7xhc

So I am repeating it in this thread lest it gets overlooked.

It is about listing Challenge hands in MyHands database

#31 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-April-06, 19:28

BBO 1.48r version is a kind of groundbreaking design.
1- Better category
2- Wonderful added items : News Feed and Challenges

Especially for " Challenges " option,as a largest bridge game website, of course, this is an indispensable items. However it is still limited to the personal challenges at the current, it's not the most stimulating, so the most important issue is " How to make team matches in a fair way. Of course, this is very tough work, perhaps this is an impossible project. I want to say many many people have desire to see the challenging achievement be used for competitive purposes. Hoping BBO would have a feasibility study on it in the future.
Just suggesting.

#32 User is offline   Elyk25 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-06, 23:28

I really like Challenges-- but there needs to be some guarantee that you match up with someone after playing the boards. Twice now my challenge results have come back as 1/1 because the other person matched with me did not complete it. Also challenge results should come immediately as the other person is done-- I think this would be more efficient for the players to reflect on their performance. Great job like the new design and features overall!
:-)

#33 User is offline   RickAtlant 

• Pip
  • Interests:ACBL

Posted 2016-April-07, 03:03

Compatibility ratings are GONE for all players in the new s/w. Are you working to fix this problem ? Thank you.

#34 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-April-07, 04:29

Elyk25, on 2016-April-06, 23:28, said:

I really like Challenges-- but there needs to be some guarantee that you match up with someone after playing the boards. Twice now my challenge results have come back as 1/1 because the other person matched with me did not complete it. Also challenge results should come immediately as the other person is done-- I think this would be more efficient for the players to reflect on their performance. Great job like the new design and features overall!

Okay,very interesting suggestion, what you said is also a good way. I think it is best that BBO would organize "Challenges" at the beginning of the current period.
It first needs to determine challenging candidates with 8 hands records, and then everyone can challenge them.

1- Who is the best challenging candidate in the early stages ?
Of course,they come from BBO stuff, for example : Barmar, Fred, Rain, Uday etc, including jdonn and inquiry.
One time every week.
However,the major problem is that they dare to accept everybody challenge?
For me, I want to challenge Barmar since he have won many many BBO masterpoints, here I wanna to say to Barmar : would you dare to accept my challenge? ha-ha.

2- Who is the best challenging candidate after several weeks?
Very simple thing, BBO can invite some decent winners of BBO masterpoints as guest candidates , and it can be regarded as a part of BBO Awards. In fact, there are many design options on challenge program.

Obviously, this will be a wonderful competitive game. " News Feed " will play a great role in support of the "Challenges".

#35 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-07, 07:53

I guess there is a bug in chat when playing a tourney. When addressing a message to both opponents it seems only be sent to one of them. At least I had only one message shown in my chat window.

#36 User is offline   Vesian 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-April-07, 08:40

It's always a good plan to have regular updates of all software - long overdue on BBO.

But - as a regular user of BBO I now find I do not like the colours on the home screen. Plus - gaining access to the various parts of the website is now counter intuitive..

#37 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-07, 09:06

I find the new colour scheme offensive but I suppose I might get used to it.

It is confusing that to start a "competitive" table in the main room you have to start by "casual" rather than "competitive". Maybe the "competitive" tables in the main room should be called something else? Or maybe the distinction between competitive and recreative tables is obsolete.

I like that the newsfeed is now part of the tabs on the right side.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#38 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-April-07, 09:45

RickAtlant, on 2016-April-07, 03:03, said:

Compatibility ratings are GONE for all players in the new s/w. Are you working to fix this problem ? Thank you.

We're having some database performance issues, sp we temporarily disabled this non-critical feature to reduce the load. It will be restored when we resolve the problem.

#39 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-April-07, 10:06

RickAtlant, on 2016-April-07, 03:03, said:

barmar, on 2016-April-07, 09:45, said:

we temporarily disabled this non-critical feature to reduce the load. It will be restored when we resolve the problem.

I have been wondering who might care about compatibility ratings, actually compatibility ratings are inaccurate even sometimes rediculous data.

#40 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-April-07, 12:17

barmar, on 2016-April-07, 09:45, said:

It will be restored when we resolve the problem.
Shame.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users