BBO Discussion Forums: I thought I bid it down the middle - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I thought I bid it down the middle

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-03, 14:51

MP Challenge, 35

Hats off to Diana who out-gamed GIB on this one against me. Diana opened 2N (and to be frank I don't know why I did not - I would do normally). And GIB effectively slam-forced.

But on this occasion I decided to bid down the middle "a la carte" or so I thought.

Of passing interest, both 3H and 4H (where I bid 3H) are described identically. I can understand that 4H might be undefined, having defined 3H as a splinter. But if (as programmers) you are going to go to the trouble of assigning a specific meaning to 4H, then you could have the decency to ascribe to it a meaning that distinguishes it from 3H. I dunno, say a void or summat. Probably something better available than that, but ANYTHING.

Anyway, given that their meanings are identical I (reasonably, I thought) chose the cheaper alternative.

Feel free to disagree, but I do not think that I had anything in reserve or my 3H bid, and the 4H cue from partner did not, to my mind, assist in any way. So I temporised with 4S.

Should I have committed beyond 4S? Should North?

Maybe slam is not so great? Result was of course 12 tricks at both tables.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-04, 02:38

If you reviewed Eric Rodwell - Jeff Meckstroth CC, almost of their CC wrote " Judgement allowed in any situation " .
For this hand, the blame is not Gib. Gib work normally.
For missed slam, the blame is just you due to your wrong Judgement.

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-04, 13:49

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-April-03, 14:51, said:

MP Challenge, 35

Hats off to Diana who out-gamed GIB on this one against me. Diana opened 2N (and to be frank I don't know why I did not - I would do normally). And GIB effectively slam-forced.

But on this occasion I decided to bid down the middle "a la carte" or so I thought.

Of passing interest, both 3H and 4H (where I bid 3H) are described identically. I can understand that 4H might be undefined, having defined 3H as a splinter. But if (as programmers) you are going to go to the trouble of assigning a specific meaning to 4H, then you could have the decency to ascribe to it a meaning that distinguishes it from 3H. I dunno, say a void or summat. Probably something better available than that, but ANYTHING.

Anyway, given that their meanings are identical I (reasonably, I thought) chose the cheaper alternative.

Feel free to disagree, but I do not think that I had anything in reserve or my 3H bid, and the 4H cue from partner did not, to my mind, assist in any way. So I temporised with 4S.

Should I have committed beyond 4S? Should North?

Maybe slam is not so great? Result was of course 12 tricks at both tables.

I would bid exactly as you did. No extras having made a GF splinter. Slam easy as cards lie but hardly cold. N could certainly make another move with 5H.

Definitely there should be a distinction between single and double jump. Here is one that has some adherents - 3H is either just game invitational - will pass 3S - or a super-max that would be tempted to make a second slam move. 4H is in the middle, a game force but no extras.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-April-05, 04:34

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-April-03, 14:51, said:

Result was of course 12 tricks at both tables.

I made 13. We missed grand :P

My link

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-05, 05:01

Ah yes another of GIB's famous double ducking the Ace. Becoming a regular feature. This time despite announcing possession of the King by winning the previous round with the Queen and despite dummy running out of Clubs.

Most amusing
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-05, 05:52

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-April-05, 04:34, said:

I made 13. We missed grand :P

My link

Very interesting.
- your hand :

Result : 6S+1

It is second time to see player is very easy to get such 13 tricks in the Gib hand with a defensive A at Gib robot forum. So I replayed it.

- While Gib opens 1 :

Result : 4N+1

- While I open 2NT :

Result : 6S=

- After I open 2NT, I let Gib take my seat to play :

Result : 6S=

Now you see Gibs make rapid improvement because Diana get 13 tricks.
This have showed that the current Gibs are quietly becomming more and more smarter, just like AlphaGo, I guess Gibs have known a little of Deep Mind.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users