• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

And another one

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-03, 07:59

MP Instant, 35

Here is another fix that did not get introduced in the 9 month wait for version 35.

Before all y'all pile in with "but you didn't have your 2N bid" and "you didn't have your 4H bid" may I respectfully pre-counter with "what has that to do with the price of fish"?

I feel that the method of scoring here is quite important, although it is perhaps a bit much to expect GIB to alter its strategy for that. Presumably the 5D bid was a grand slam try, committing to 7H if I had shown up with the Queen. I don't think that I would have been quite that optimistic, even opposite a 20 count that had shown all the aces and KQx of trumps, but am happy to accept that GIB simulations are more reliable there.

Whatever, he has no business bidding again over 6N, which is by no means a shoe-in, but as the cards lie (1) it makes and is the par spot that would have raked in the matchpoints, and (2) is no worse than 6H.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-03, 08:15

I have a little sympathy for GIB here. North really is the captain in this auction and it showed a hand that was interested in grand, so when you bid over 6H, it took it as accepting it.

I agree with the 2NT opener for what it's worth, but I wonder what GIB would have expected with a 4243 20 count? I guess 4D or 4S probably showing club support?

I remember posting a hand here ages ago where I thought I was the captain and put the contract in 6N with a known heart fit and it got pulled into an awful 7H, though it did come home in that occasion when AKx vs Txxxx proved to be a sufficient trump suit.

edit: The hand I mentioned was from 2014 here
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-03, 09:18

I see your point.

A human North would acknowledge that he had relinquished captaincy at the point that he placed what he expected to be the final contract. Perhaps a concept that is a few generations of GIB down the road, yet.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-04, 02:08

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-April-03, 07:59, said:

MP Instant, 35
Here is another fix that did not get introduced in the 9 month wait for version 35.
Before all y'all pile in with "but you didn't have your 2N bid" and "you didn't have your 4H bid" may I respectfully pre-counter with "what has that to do with the price of fish"?

I feel that the method of scoring here is quite important, although it is perhaps a bit much to expect GIB to alter its strategy for that. Presumably the 5D bid was a grand slam try, committing to 7H if I had shown up with the Queen. I don't think that I would have been quite that optimistic, even opposite a 20 count that had shown all the aces and KQx of trumps, but am happy to accept that GIB simulations are more reliable there.

Whatever, he has no business bidding again over 6N, which is by no means a shoe-in, but as the cards lie (1) it makes and is the par spot that would have raked in the matchpoints, and (2) is no worse than 6H.

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-April-03, 09:18, said:

I see your point.

A human North would acknowledge that he had relinquished captaincy at the point that he placed what he expected to be the final contract. Perhaps a concept that is a few generations of GIB down the road, yet.

Unrealistic comments, wrong thinking.
We should respect Gib CC, which is made by the experts of bbo company, that's to say that we should follow Gib CC as possible when we study or report Gibs issue, let's understand Gib well.
Now here I replayed your hand to express what I see.

1- Normal sequence :

Result : 3NTN+3

2- After I opened 2N, then let Gib take my seat to play :

Result : 4NTS=

Here, may I ask you a question?
Would you respect Gib CC? Would you follow Gib CC?
After north Gib rebid 4 to show 4+, 5+, 8+hcp, Gib CC should be :
1- 4 will say " Support for --- 2-5,2-5,3-5,2-5,21hcp, 22+TPs."
2- 4 will say " Support for --- 2-5,2-5,3-5,2-5,20hcp "
3- 4 will say " Support for --- No 3rd , 4-5,2-5,2,2-5,21hcp, 22+TPs. "
4- 4NT will say " No good support in , No 3rd --- 2-3,2-5,2,2-5,20-21hcp."
5- 5 will say " 4-5, 2-5, 2-5, 2-5, 20-21hcp, 22-TPs."

So in fact your rebid-4 wasn't a correct auction after 4 on the Gib CC.

To be honest, bbo Gib experts have thought of problems you could think of. It is very difficult for you to look for more better alternative at the current.

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-04, 13:53

Unlike today's other hand, I have no problem with 2NT here. But you know GIB is aggressive at the slam level in NT auctions, especially with a fit. 4H was playing with fire. Especially since a natural 4NT was available.

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2016-April-04, 15:45

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-April-03, 08:15, said:

I have a little sympathy for GIB here. North really is the captain in this auction and it showed a hand that was interested in grand, so when you bid over 6H, it took it as accepting it.

If Gib's programming has bidding 6N over 6 as a grand slam try I would truly be shocked and be willing to pay a $1 to the swear jar.
The fact is 7 will likely have almost no play opposite a 2N opening and even if there is a play will have to find Q, so horrible.
I got a feeling that Gib's simulations using double dummy analysis always finds the Q so not a problem for Gib.

6N will show up as showing a certain range and distribution not as a slam try.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2016-April-04, 16:27

Another thing why is Gib bidding 4 with 8 points balanced with a ratty club suit. Should be just bidding 3N and offering a choice of games.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users