• You cannot reply to this topic

Limited options

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-02, 17:29

MP, Instant, 35

Over 4D, by North, South's options are 4H = cue, 4S = cue, 4N = RKC in D

Over my 4H, 4N by N is RKC in D. I actually bid 4H cue in the hope of eliciting 4N Bwood from partner. In that respect the operation was successful but the patient died.

I have to accept that there is not a lot of bidding space, and sometimes pre-empts work. That said, I am not enamoured of the systemic options available. I think we should do away with Bwood here.

Of passing interest, the winning action on the South hand is to protect with X rather than 3N, which North miraculously guesses accurately to convert to penalties, despite having a 6 card suit in which partner has implied support.

So he is happy to sit for the double, but over 3N has to virtually commit to slam?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-03, 03:53

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-April-02, 17:29, said:

MP, Instant, 35

Over my 4H, 4N by N is RKC in D. I actually bid 4H cue in the hope of eliciting 4N Bwood from partner. In that respect the operation was successful but the patient died.

I have to accept that there is not a lot of bidding space, and sometimes pre-empts work. That said, I am not enamoured of the systemic options available. I think we should do away with Bwood here.

Of passing interest, the winning action on the South hand is to protect with X rather than 3N, which North miraculously guesses accurately to convert to penalties, despite having a 6 card suit in which partner has implied support.

So he is happy to sit for the double, but over 3N has to virtually commit to slam?

the logical choice for north is pass over 3nt- dont rescue.

#3 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-04, 03:20

Real good topic .

I replayed your hand, I found there are several different .

1- The sequences Gibs play normally.

Result : 4S-2

2- After I bid 3NT,then let Gib take my seat to play.

Result: 3NTS=

3- After I bid 3NT and 4 respectively, then let Gibs take my seat to play.

Result : 4N-3

I guess my conclusions should be :
1- Here is difficult to define. Perhaps there are no alternative options.
2- Here some bids are not to be define in fact.
Sorry, I am a layman, just saying.

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-04, 03:36

I don't have access to the data, I have no way to make my conclusion.

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-04, 13:39

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-April-02, 17:29, said:

MP, Instant, 35

Agree on all counts. N should pass 3NT. If 4D is bid, 4NT should be to play. And passing a double with the N hand is poor.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users