• You cannot reply to this topic

What is suggested?

#1 User is offline   chrism 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-02, 09:32

ACBL
Swiss Teams
Board 1, first board of the first round.

EW are experts, semi-regular partners. This specific auction is undiscussed though they play responsive doubles in analogous auctions starting at the 1-level.
NS are not regular partners.
Both pairs are playing 2/1.

West's double was slow (agreed).
What are East's logical alternatives, and does the hesitation suggest any of them over others?
East stated when asked that with some other partners the double would show 4 spades with a hand too good for a non-forcing 3 call, but that was not an explicit agreement for this partnership.

(I will post this hand as an online poll when the Bridge Winners site fixes some server glitch that is currently preventing me from posting bidding polls).

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-April-02, 10:26

This is the day after April Fools. QJx QX tXXX AQXX Didn't double 2.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   chrism 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-02, 10:39

View Postaguahombre, on 2016-April-02, 10:26, said:

This is the day after April Fools. QJx QX tXXX AQXX Didn't double 2.

Yes it did; are you looking at some auction other than the one I posted?

#4 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-02, 10:58

View Postchrism, on 2016-April-02, 10:39, said:

Yes it did; are you looking at some auction other than the one I posted?

He's suggesting that the double is so bad it can't be the correct hand in the post.
Wayne Somerville

#5 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2016-April-02, 12:23

I think the slow double suggests not defending 3X, so it suggests bidding over passing.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#6 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-02, 15:51

I would say that East's double is a bit, even more than a bit, odd. But there is nothing in the laws aganst it. That being said, I wonder wether W smells something, these two being semi-regular partners. I'm wondering about his hand. But if I were E, I would pass with this hand.
Joost

#7 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2016-April-02, 16:08

I would pass 3Hx 100% of the time, having doubled on this hand, and see no logical alternative.
(If anything, a slow double suggests partner doesn't want you to pass)

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2016-April-03, 02:17

A slow responsive double suggests either inadequate values or imperfect shape. If the former, it suggests bidding; if the latter, it suggests passing.

A slow undiscussed double might be the same, or partner might merely be thinking about what double means.

I don't think any action is demonstrably suggested over another, so East is not constrained.

Regarding the LAs, if you give partner a prototypical responsive double like Kxx xx Kxxx Kxxx it's not clear what you should do (though it's clear what you should have done on the previous round). If you're going to bid, there are arguments for either minor. I think that pass, 4 and 4 are all LAs.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-03, 02:34

I think we need to consider what West's double means and in my experience different players have different views on that. Whatever this partner's view is, that's not the West hand on this occasion.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#10 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-11, 15:27

East's hesitation shows he has some strength. West does not know if that strength is H's or elsewhere but he knows East has some tricks in his hand. If he factors that information (UI) into his hand and forms the view that the contract can be defeated, he must pass. The question for me is . . . if West has got the other H's and a natural/obvious/LOGICAL penalty double MUST be still pass because the laws states that he must not choose that (advantageous) logical alternative and must choose the less sensible/logical alternative and pass?

#11 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-11, 15:38

View Posteuclidz, on 2016-April-11, 15:27, said:

East's hesitation shows he has some strength. West does not know if that strength is H's or elsewhere but he knows East has some tricks in his hand. If he factors that information (UI) into his hand and forms the view that the contract can be defeated, he must pass. The question for me is . . . if West has got the other H's and a natural/obvious/LOGICAL penalty double MUST be still pass because the laws states that he must not choose that (advantageous) logical alternative and must choose the less sensible/logical alternative and pass?

I think you mean West's hesitation. I agree with FrancesHinden that there is no sensible alternative to Pass. You have made your bed; now lie in it. I also agree with gnasher that you are not constrained.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-April-11, 22:40

View Postchrism, on 2016-April-02, 09:32, said:

EW are experts, semi-regular partners. This specific auction is undiscussed though they play responsive doubles in analogous auctions starting at the 1-level. NS are not regular partners.Both pairs are playing 2/1. West's double was slow (agreed). What are East's logical alternatives, and does the hesitation suggest any of them over others? East stated when asked that with some other partners the double would show 4 spades with a hand too good for a non-forcing 3 call, but that was not an explicit agreement for this partnership.(I will post this hand as an online poll when the Bridge Winners site fixes some server glitch that is currently preventing me from posting bidding polls).
I'm unsure of the answer but part of the problem is disclosure rules which say that if you don't know your agreement, then you shouldn't speculate. You are rarely certain, but In an experienced partnership, you can normally "guess" better than opponents. Sometimes you can provide some help to opponents by explaining related agreements. Almost always, some otherwise plausible explanations wouldn't fit your partnership philosophy. All that can take minutes and often you can't remember why one explanation is more likely than another. It would be shorter and more helpful if the rules permitted you to cut to the chase and supply a rough probability estimate. For example, here you might speculate 97% take-out, 1% penalty, 2% other. This kind of disclosure is likely to be more accurate and honest although I don't know whether that would help the director to make a ruling. Asking the bidder to explain his own call. in your absence is a simpler better alternative but, in practice, few directors are prepared to endure the palaver.

The significance of hesitations is even more a function of partnership experience,

#13 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-12, 01:19

View Postlamford, on 2016-April-11, 15:38, said:

I think you mean West's hesitation. I agree with FrancesHinden that there is no sensible alternative to Pass. You have made your bed; now lie in it. I also agree with gnasher that you are not constrained.

Ooops, my mistake, although I have to say that if it had been E's hesitation it throws up more interesting (and more common) set of questions.
But, for the sake of my education, I would like to use this example with East as the hesitant, to learn and will create it as a new question

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-12, 05:41

View Postnige1, on 2016-April-11, 22:40, said:

few directors are prepared to endure the palaver.

What palaver? "You, go stand at least four tables away." "You, explain the meaning of your call." wtp? B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-April-12, 08:30

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-April-12, 05:41, said:

What palaver? "You, go stand at least four tables away." "You, explain the meaning of your call." wtp? B-)

Yes, it is not frequent, but it happens.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-April-12, 21:02

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-April-12, 05:41, said:

Recently. Mike Amos reminded us of this option but I can't remember any director taking it, in practice, even when a player suggested it..

#17 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-12, 23:43

View Postnige1, on 2016-April-12, 21:02, said:

Recently. Mike Amos reminded us of this option but I can't remember any director taking it, in practice, even when a player suggested it..

I've certainly taken it several times, and IIRC not only when a player suggested it.

But this is only appropriate where there actually is an agreement that bidder's partner can't remember. A TD will not get bidder to say what he meant when there is no agreement.

#18 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-April-13, 03:58

View Postcampboy, on 2016-April-12, 23:43, said:

I've certainly taken it several times, and IIRC not only when a player suggested it.

But this is only appropriate where there actually is an agreement that bidder's partner can't remember. A TD will not get bidder to say what he meant when there is no agreement.

I had this a couple of years ago when an opp couldn't remember what partner's bid meant and the meaning of my double would be T/O over one meaning and pens over the other. The bidder volunteered the actual meaning in partner's absence with the director's cooperation.

#19 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2016-April-13, 04:29

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-April-13, 03:58, said:

I had this a couple of years ago when an opp couldn't remember what partner's bid meant and the meaning of my double would be T/O over one meaning and pens over the other. The bidder volunteered the actual meaning in partner's absence with the director's cooperation.

This is really good, and does not give UI to partner of the bidder, IF....the partner already acknowledged that it had some special meaning (as stated). Otherwise, sending the guy away is UI in/of itself.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#20 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-April-13, 05:15

View Postaguahombre, on 2016-April-13, 04:29, said:

This is really good, and does not give UI to partner of the bidder, IF....the partner already acknowledged that it had some special meaning (as stated). Otherwise, sending the guy away is UI in/of itself.

Yeah, partner was in an "it's either this or this" type situation

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users