• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can you open ?

#1 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-30, 06:02

Playing 2/1 I opened 1 in first position not vulnerable against vulnerable. My P said I could only do that in third seat.
Hand was AKJ73 K108 103 962. I thought 2.5 tricks was enuff to open.

I saved this as a poll but seems it didnt work

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-March-30, 06:09

It's down to agreements at the end of the day, but this looks like a good 11 and I would open.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2016-March-30, 09:30

extra point for all hcp in 2 suits, the concentration of strength in is very helpful
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-30, 09:37

Got to have 13 Miltons to open or take your place on the rack for the appropriate punishment. No room for judgement or thinking in this game! B-)
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-March-30, 14:01

I'd open it 1 -- 2.5 QTs and 11 HCP is enough. In addition, the points are working together and are in the "longest" suits. Also, the 10, an intermediate, is a positive as it is working with the K.

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-March-30, 15:00

Clear opener. Not even a minimum.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-30, 15:48

You seem to have all the best case elements for a "light" opening: good honors (AKs), 2.5 QT, intermediates supporting them, a 5-cd suit which has the good idea to be the most expensive one, and 1st at green.

I wrote light with "" because I'd probably open all positions all vuln nevertheless.

Compare it to QJ5 K74 QJ82 QJ3 which has the required 12 HCPs.

#8 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-30, 16:46

It is a substantial underbid to think of passing this hand.

#9 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-30, 18:14

Shapes is more important than hcp.
Even you have a decent opening suit with 11hcp and two tricks in it, but
1- 5332 shapes, it is too flat. And there are not any defensive card in your minors suit.
2- while light opening , you are very worried about pd's 2/1 responding.

I never give a wrong opening information to pd, I never open 1 only with flat 5332 shapes in the first or second seat unless opening suit is 6+ card.

#10 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2016-March-30, 18:43

If you open in first or second seat then it would help if partner expects a hand this light. Otherwise you might be in game with only 23 HCP and worse: two relatively balanced hands. I would open this playing Precision or any 2/1 style where partner has full values for a game force. In the long run, open. Light initial actions have proven to be a winning approach. Just build the rest of your system to handle this.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-30, 21:11

lycier, on 2016-March-30, 18:14, said:

Shapes is more important than hcp.
Even you have a decent opening suit with 11hcp and two tricks in it, but
1- 5332 shapes, it is too flat. And there are not any defensive card in your minors suit.
2- while light opening , you are very worried about pd's 2/1 responding.

I never give a wrong opening information to pd, I never open 1 only with flat 5332 shapes in the first or second seat unless opening suit is 6+ card.

It's a matter of partnership agreement. If you agree with partner not to open 5332 shapes in 1st or 2nd seat, then you shouldn't do it unless, as you say, the 5 card suit has 6 cards in it. But not everyone makes that agreement. To me, this is a 1 opener in any seat.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-30, 22:47

SteveMoe, on 2016-March-30, 18:43, said:

If you open in first or second seat then it would help if partner expects a hand this light. Otherwise you might be in game with only 23 HCP and worse: two relatively balanced hands. I would open this playing Precision or any 2/1 style where partner has full values for a game force. In the long run, open. Light initial actions have proven to be a winning approach. Just build the rest of your system to handle this.

Thats exactly what happened. My partner bid 2H with 12points. With nothing extra I used fast arrival and raised to game. After he luckily made the contract he said: If you open like that again I will stop playing with you. Compare my hand with following: KJxx AJx Qxxx Qxx. 2 points more but high cards scattered in all suits.

#13 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-March-31, 00:25

UdcaDenny, on 2016-March-30, 22:47, said:

Thats exactly what happened. My partner bid 2H with 12points. With nothing extra I used fast arrival and raised to game. After he luckily made the contract he said: If you open like that again I will stop playing with you. Compare my hand with following: KJxx AJx Qxxx Qxx. 2 points more but high cards scattered in all suits.

what is the issue?....Pard told you what they play!

You don't seem to want to listen.

Do you think your partner is a liar?

If you think your partner is telling the truth, what is the issue?

#14 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-March-31, 00:29

blackshoe, on 2016-March-30, 21:11, said:

It's a matter of partnership agreement. If you agree with partner not to open 5332 shapes in 1st or 2nd seat, then you shouldn't do it unless, as you say, the 5 card suit has 6 cards in it. But not everyone makes that agreement. To me, this is a 1 opener in any seat.

Well and good.
I remembered I saw JEC passing in the similar hand in my eyes, it would confirm my opinion. Of course, it is a matter of partnership agreements indeed.

#15 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-31, 00:46

mike777, on 2016-March-31, 00:25, said:

what is the issue?....Pard told you what they play!

You don't seem to want to listen.

Do you think your partner is a liar?

If you think your partner is telling the truth, what is the issue?

Mike, I dont understand your comment about thinking partner is a liar. We have different opinions and I think he is a little conservative. Just wanted to know what other players thought about this opening as my P is very stubborn. Anyway it seems that the majority is in favour of opening.

#16 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-March-31, 00:48

UdcaDenny, on 2016-March-31, 00:46, said:

Mike, I dont understand your comment about thinking partner is a liar. We have different opinions and I think he is a little conservative. Just wanted to know what other players thought about this opening as my P is very stubborn. Anyway it seems that the majority is in favour of opening.

Yes, you make an excellent point, your partner is stubborn. If your post is a survey, great. If your main Q IS does the forum open on balanced 11 hcp...ok

You miss the big point...your partner does not

For some unknown reason you hint this is not Kosher.

#17 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-March-31, 01:55

Here I would take a real example at BBO - a hand with light opening , it was played by bbo star, they are experts.

Result : 2NX=

Now you see the hazards of light opening, so in the meantime, west player can only huff and puff, finished this hand,then left the table at once.

#18 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-31, 02:43

I think that it is close, and I wouldn't criticise anyone who passed or bid on this hand. Playing on BBO with a random partner I think it is wisest to pass. Players here seem to get excited very easily. The last thing you want is partner leaping to 4NT just because he has 15 points or doing something equally manic. There are a lot of points to be made on BBO by playing a steady game and letting others be aggressive.

Another factor is how good you and partner are at play and defence. Light opening bids are fine, but won't bring in the points if you or your random partner misplay or misdefend the close contracts that you may reach.

BBO seems to be full of payers who want to run before they can walk. Most would benefit from learning to play a simple system, with just a few conventions, and improving their play and defence. When they can do that they should be ready to be more aggressive and maybe to adopt more complex methods.

#19 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-March-31, 04:31

UdcaDenny, on 2016-March-31, 00:46, said:

We have different opinions and I think he is a little conservative. Just wanted to know what other players thought about this opening as my P is very stubborn. Anyway it seems that the majority is in favour of opening.

I disagree .

The bridge is only a probability of game, that's to say in further that not all the aggressive are correct, likewise, not all the conservative are wrong, it often has something to do with strategy and partnership agreements.

If hold SAKJxxx, Kxx,any destribution on minors, it should say opening 1s in any seat should be valid because there are 13 value points (11hcp+ 2 length points).And in the meantime, such opening is in line with 22 rule.This is a standard qualifying opener.

However only hold 5332, too flat and only 21 rule, such opening is often too aggressive.This isn't fair qualifying opener.its best benefit is often to send error messages to pd, helping the enemy.

For such hand, defence is often a good strategy.Pass always is a choice.

#20 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-March-31, 04:39

If you open all or almost all balanced 12-counts then you should open this hand. If you generally require 13 points or a good 12 to open a balanced hand, even with a 5-card major, then don't open.

Either is fine. The latter is old-fashioned and almost certainly a losing style in a strong field, but if partner is a weak player and you just aspire to do well in a weak field then the conservative style is not necessarily bad - aggressive bidding is less essential against opps who are poor bidders, and of course the sound style makes bidding more accurate when you do have sound values. Anyway, it is of course more important to have clear agreements than to have optimal agreements so if partner is more comfortable with a conservative style then by all means agree to play that way.

OTOH, if partner insists that the rule is 12 walrus points with no room for judgement then it is no big loss if he stops playing with you.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users