BBO Discussion Forums: Would you interfere? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would you interfere?

Poll: Would you interfere? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you bid?

1. No, I'd pass - our line is very weak and I have 4 [diamonds] (17 votes [89.47%])

Percentage of vote: 89.47%

2. Yes,I'd bid 1[hearts] - let my partner know about that (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

3. Yes, I'd preempt at 2[hearts] - take away their bidding space when they surely belong in 4[spades] or 3NT (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   heart76 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-30, 03:44

White vs Red, MPs.
Partner passes in 1st seat and RHO opens 1.
You hold: Kxx - 109xxx - K10xx - x.
Would you bid?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-March-30, 04:05

If I bid, 1 or 2 depending on how I was feeling, but probably pass.

#3 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-30, 05:28

I think pass is clear, but only because your suit is very poor.

If you improved the heart suit a little, say: [xxx KT9xx KTxx x] and you would get plenty of support for some level of interference.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-30, 06:51

i have no objection to a style where you bid on much less than this, but only if your suit's sensible. here you have far too much defense relative to offense. 2H would be even worse.

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-30, 08:18

I overcall with this shape and point range all the time but only if I can at least stand partner leading the suit I bid so I pass here.

I WILL balance if they try to stop low as my partner can still have some flatish decent hands that others would open.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-30, 09:18

I will happily bid 2 here, but I've trained my partners (through bitter experience) not to lead my preempted suits in such positions unless they really have no better prospect, nor to raise it unless they really have the nuts for their initial pass. If partner is unlikely to bid again and I'm this weak, then ODR isn't that relevant - the opps very likely have game and possibly slam, and I want to make it harder for them to find which (and which one).
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-30, 10:16

View PostJinksy, on 2016-March-30, 09:18, said:

I will happily bid 2 here, but I've trained my partners (through bitter experience) not to lead my preempted suits in such positions unless they really have no better prospect, nor to raise it unless they really have the nuts for their initial pass. If partner is unlikely to bid again and I'm this weak, then ODR isn't that relevant - the opps very likely have game and possibly slam, and I want to make it harder for them to find which (and which one).

this is a line i often hear but a 2 level wjo isn't very powerful though. its power comes from partner's raising it. you're losing the majority of the upside by playing such a loose method. you have absolutely no reason to think the opps have a slam on with ktxx of rho's suit and another king. partner's got 0-10 and it's more likely 10 than 0. in fact there's a fair chance they are due to go minus in game on this deal. of course if they happen to catch you in 2hx, it's guaranteed they'll be scoring more from it than whatever they can make themselves.

yes this kind of stuff works against clueless people though (at the cost of increasing variance) but i don't think there's much point answering on the forum with bad bids that might make clueless opponents make even worse bids.

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-March-30, 10:55

I would overcall. This hand has nice positional values and could produce game opposite a weak NT. If partner had already passed I'd also pass.

Last night I held KQ Txxxx Kxxx xx but the opening bid was 1C, we were r/w and partner was a PH, so caution prevailed.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users