Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Third hand opening

#1 User is offline   bluerib 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-March-27, 01:22

Sometimes, it pays to open light at third position. In the following deal, as South, I opened 1, then passed partner's response of 1. We made 1 for a top score, while, the opponents can even make 3NT.

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-March-27, 01:30

West has a pretty obvious balancing 2.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-27, 04:41

Sometimes, it pays to play against weak opponents. 1 looks like it would have been one off on a forcing heart defence, whereas had you passed it probably would have ended the hand.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-27, 04:46

View PostJinksy, on 2016-March-27, 04:41, said:

Sometimes, it pays to play against weak opponents. 1 looks like it would have been one off on a forcing heart defence, whereas had you passed it probably would have ended the hand.

declarer wants to be forced - he can reverse the dummy and make ak, ak, 1 spade in south and 2 ruffs in north (2 trumps in south and 1 ruff if east overruffs). the defence need to lead trumps at t1 or after the ace of clubs.

but yes 1 heart is a bad bid with a poor suit and so much defence and west had a clear protection.

#5 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2016-March-27, 11:11

I can't see how EW can make 3NT on either a spade or a diamond lead. On a club or a heart lead North seems to be squeezed on the fifth round of clubs but I haven't thought it through carefully.

I think I agree with the 'sometimes it pays to play against weak opponents' sentiment

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-02, 09:44

View Postmgoetze, on 2016-March-27, 01:30, said:

West has a pretty obvious balancing 2.

1 NT balancing better for me.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-April-02, 13:09

I also think West has to balance on this auction. South has passed the 1 response which certainly makes you suspect a "light" opener.

2 would be my choice. The pass of 1 certainly implies some tolerance, so letting them play 1 isn't likely to get a good result. are something I'd like to mention, at least lead directing if nothing else.

It's OK to open light in third seat. This time it worked out, but I agree with wank this wasn't a good hand to do it on.

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-02, 14:09

View PostMrAce, on 2016-April-02, 09:44, said:

1 NT balancing better for me.

Is 1NT natural for you rather than some minor-oriented hand? I suspect most Easts would advance diamonds over 1NT, which is likely to lead to difficulties.
(-: Zel :-)

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-April-02, 18:35

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-April-02, 14:09, said:

Is 1NT natural for you rather than some minor-oriented hand? I suspect most Easts would advance diamonds over 1NT, which is likely to lead to difficulties.

Natural, of course. With a minor oriented hand i can bid my minor. With both minors i have an easy take out double. I do not see why any sane east will advance diamonds on natural 1 NT.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-02, 19:12

View PostMrAce, on 2016-April-02, 18:35, said:

Natural, of course. With a minor oriented hand i can bid my minor. With both minors i have an easy take out double. I do not see why any sane east will advance diamonds on natural 1 NT.

Without having discussed it, I would be more than a little worried that double would be taken as something like a 2344 12-14 count, with 1NT showing a weaker hand with 4-5ish in the minors. A natural 1NT also strikes me as rather risky given that the remaining points might be sitting 11-4-13. Naturally we can choose to run to 2 if a double comes but that is surely riskier than a direct 2 even when it is right.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-April-02, 19:31

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-April-02, 19:12, said:

Without having discussed it, I would be more than a little worried that double would be taken as something like a 2344 12-14 count, with 1NT showing a weaker hand with 4-5ish in the minors. A natural 1NT also strikes me as rather risky given that the remaining points might be sitting 11-4-13. Naturally we can choose to run to 2 if a double comes but that is surely riskier than a direct 2 even when it is right.

Without having discussed? Balancing with 1 NT? I am surprised suggesting that this NT would be 5-4 minors and dbl would be only 4-4 minors, instead of a natural NT, when there is no discussion, comes from you. Why would anyone ever disable themselves from balancing with a natural NT at MP, just to make sure pd knows when he has 4-4 or 5-4 minors one day when it comes. I maybe old fashioned but sparing a NT bid in a balancing position for something other than natural seems wrong to me.

#12 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-03, 02:27

"Sometimes it pays to play against weak opponents".

The weaker Wests would have over-called 2C on the first round.
The stronger Wests would over-call 2C on the second round.
NOBODY is passing twice with the West cards.

#13 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-03, 02:48

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-April-02, 19:12, said:

View PostMrAce, on 2016-April-02, 19:31, said:

Without having discussed? Balancing with 1 NT? I am surprised suggesting that this NT would be 5-4 minors and dbl would be only 4-4 minors, instead of a natural NT, when there is no discussion, comes from you. Why would anyone ever disable themselves from balancing with a natural NT at MP, just to make sure pd knows when he has 4-4 or 5-4 minors one day when it comes. I maybe old fashioned but sparing a NT bid in a balancing position for something other than natural seems wrong to me.

This happens to players, who can never have enough agreements and conventions played.
Suddenly every bid gets suspect.

Rainer Herrmann

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-03, 03:50

View Postrhm, on 2016-April-03, 02:48, said:

This happens to players, who can never have enough agreements and conventions played.
Suddenly every bid gets suspect.

We are not talking about players with complicated agreements here, only extended UNT is needed. The most common way of playing that is for a 1NT or 2NT call after an initial pass to be artificial. I have plenty of sympathy with the idea that a protective 2nd round 1NT should be an exception, in the same way that a protective jump to 2NT on the first round is natural, but I would not be willing to bet the house on it when a good alternative is available.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users