For the win Your bid

#1 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-27, 00:56

1NT-2C
2D-2N
3H

You Stayman, and partner denies a major. But over your invite, he bids 3H - hello there! What's that then?

Thoughts please. And same over 1NT...3N-4M?

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-March-27, 01:18

View Postzenbiddist, on 2016-March-27, 00:56, said:

1NT-2C
2D-2N
3H

You Stayman, and partner denies a major. But over your invite, he bids 3H - hello there! What's that then?

I expect it shows heart values, implying that he's worried about the spade situation.

This is an asking bid. Asking for a new partner.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-27, 02:34

View Postmgoetze, on 2016-March-27, 01:18, said:

I expect it shows heart values, implying that he's worried about the spade situation.

Well, for completeness he has three good hearts, otherwise suggesting a Moysian would be unwise.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-March-27, 02:35

Please delete
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-27, 04:52

1nt-3nt-4M is obviously to play. partner no doubt has his reasons. playing with a strong player, so no hogging, i once had the auction 2NT - 3C (normal stayman)- 3H - 3NT - 4H. i had a 3622 shape.

1NT-2C-2D-2NT-3H sounds like an offer to play a moysian, probably with weak spades. something like xx axx akxxx aqx

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-27, 04:56

View Postwank, on 2016-March-27, 04:52, said:

1nt-3nt-4M is obviously to play.

I think he was too lazy to type out 1NT-2-2-3NT-4M.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-27, 05:29

View Postzenbiddist, on 2016-March-27, 00:56, said:

1NT-2C
2D-2N
3H

1.Appears to be asking to bid 3NT with a H stopper.
2.To play.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-March-27, 05:40

View Postalok c, on 2016-March-27, 05:29, said:

1.Appears to be asking to bid 3NT with a H stopper.

Interesting but not very useful.

#9 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-27, 06:26

View PostVampyr, on 2016-March-27, 05:40, said:

Interesting but not very useful.

Otherwise bid your longer minor.

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-27, 07:28

I remain a skeptic this is useful -- a long but crummy dia* suit near max and opened 1n with a singleton (in whatever suit opener bids). The willingness to play 2d with long hearts makes zero sense. AQx x Qxxxxx AKQ. All kinds of rebid problems (in standard systems anyway)if not open 1n

over 2c opener would have to bid a suit at 3 lvl to show the same hand but with long clubs. This is a much scarier idea since responder could well be using emergency stayman.

The number of hands that would fit this type of description would be pretty darn small and you need to be able to sign off in 3/4n if responder feels it is right so another set of agreements is needed on how to proceed if 3n or 4n are not deemed correct by responder.

#11 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-27, 07:49

I would have assumed weakness in that suit, usually a small doubleton. This sequence actually came up for me a few weeks ago undiscussed, partner had confused stayman and landy and had bid 2D with 4-4 in the majors.
Wayne Somerville

#12 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2016-March-27, 10:25

Would play this to mean weak , but accepting the invite. If responder has no stopper this asks to play in the safe minor at the 4 or 5 level.
1N...3N-4M means partner found not one but two M cards mixed in with ther m suit of the same color and wants to play in the safer 4M game. Time to call in the relief pitcher.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#13 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2016-March-27, 11:52

3H over 2NT shows a maximum, a strong 3-card heart suit and a weakness somewhere. It's probably only worth while if 2C promised a major or else it's just giving too much away.

4H over 3NT says I missorted my hand and my 3334 is really a 3604 or whatever.

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2016-March-27, 18:01

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2016-March-27, 11:52, said:

3H over 2NT shows a maximum, a strong 3-card heart suit and a weakness somewhere.

You mean something like xx KQx AKxx AJxx? Maybe that's what it shows, but I just can't imagine anyone actually bidding it
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#15 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-28, 05:08

Or even any max 3h hand when responder might be 4522

#16 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-28, 08:18

Since you are asking about the meaning of this, it is safe to assume that you have not made an agreement with partner. Since a 4 card major has been denied, these subsequent bids are "idle" bids for which the partnership may assign meanings by agreement. These bids are unlike other "idle" bids for which there is wide agreement about the meaning (e.g., the 2S rebid in the auctions 1H-1N, 2C/D-2S showing a super max raise of opener's minor).

So, in the absence of discussion, the bid is clearly an announcement that your partner has such disdain for partnership and you that your partner no longer wishes to play with you.

There are many ways this bid could be played. It could be played, for example, as a 3 card major showing bid with a maximum and weak doubleton in the other major. But, that is not clear without discussion and, as such, such a bid should never be trotted out for the first time in the heat of battle.

#17 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-March-28, 09:04

View PostCaitlynne, on 2016-March-28, 08:18, said:

Since you are asking about the meaning of this, it is safe to assume that you have not made an agreement with partner. Since a 4 card major has been denied, these subsequent bids are "idle" bids for which the partnership may assign meanings by agreement. These bids are unlike other "idle" bids for which there is wide agreement about the meaning (e.g., the 2S rebid in the auctions 1H-1N, 2C/D-2S showing a super max raise of opener's minor).

So, in the absence of discussion, the bid is clearly an announcement that your partner has such disdain for partnership and you that your partner no longer wishes to play with you.

There are many ways this bid could be played. It could be played, for example, as a 3 card major showing bid with a maximum and weak doubleton in the other major. But, that is not clear without discussion and, as such, such a bid should never be trotted out for the first time in the heat of battle.

OMG partner made a call that we might not understand! Circle the wagons.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#18 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-March-28, 09:31

Perhaps it shows a maximum hand and a holding AQx, AKx, Axxxx,xx .with such a hand a Moysian major suit game may prove a better contract.

#19 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-28, 10:09

View PostCaitlynne, on 2016-March-28, 08:18, said:

Or maybe it shows so much respect for partner that you expect him to figure it out? (the 3M case at least, in the 4M case I agree with you.)
    -- Bertrand Russell

#20 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2016-March-28, 10:10

"So, in the absence of discussion, the bid is clearly an announcement that your partner has such disdain for partnership and you that your partner no longer wishes to play with you."

No it's not. Making bids that you haven't discussed is a compliment to partner in that you hope he or she will understand them.
There are auctions where it is incredibly dangerous to invent some system at the table, because the auction can go totally off the rails.
These are not auctions like that. The 3M call clearly doesn't stop partner bidding 3NT if he wants. The 4M call can't be anything except natural.

I recently came up with a bid in a sequence that we had never discussed. The auction started 2NT P 3S (minors) dbl. I bid 4H because I had KQJ10x of hearts and Qx of spades. Partner happily passed with his 2245, and we took 11 tricks after they cashed the AK of spades. This was another auction where it was obvious what 4H meant.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users