BBO Discussion Forums: Variable NT and color-coded score card - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Variable NT and color-coded score card

#1 User is offline   OBSugar 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-March-25, 06:25

Partner and I intend to play a 10-12 white v red, 15-17 red v white, and 12-14 the rest of the time. I usually make a note of pair number and board numbers before each round. Is it illegal to preprint a color-coded scorecard as an aid to my memory?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-March-25, 08:42

The normal score cards already show declarer and vulnerability. I don't see how changing the way this is indicated on the scorecard could constitute any more of an aid than is already provided. And the vulnerability is also on the duplicate board itself, it's not something you need to remember.

Also, the law regarding memory aids is only applicable "during the auction and play periods". You can certainly use this aid before the auction starts.

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2016-March-26, 20:43

It sounds illegal to me. You are using a memory aid pertaining to the current board to remind you of the NT range your partnership can open.
If may not be explicitly stated in the laws but IMO it is clearly against the spirit of the law.

When I was playing a variable nt I had to make myself pause before the auction started to check position and vulnerability.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-March-26, 21:57

Why is it any more against the spirit of the law than checking the vulnerability markings on the duplicate board itself? Players aren't expected to memorize the rotation of dealer and vulnerabilities.

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2016-March-26, 22:56

View Postbarmar, on 2016-March-26, 21:57, said:

Why is it any more against the spirit of the law than checking the vulnerability markings on the duplicate board itself? Players aren't expected to memorize the rotation of dealer and vulnerabilities.

Checking the vulnerability doesn't tell me what my nt range is for that board/vulnerability. Players are expected to know their system, without aids.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-27, 08:44

Surely whether this is ethical or not depends solely on whether you look at your scorecard subsequent to your side taking their cards from the board. So long as you are only referring to it before the hand I do not see a problem; you could equally check it with partner verbally without penalty. Of course if you plan to refer to it during the hand that is something else entirely...
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-27, 09:01

I would say it is illegal since you are using it to remind yourself that you play variable NT. Things like board markings are not going to change just because you play a constant NT opening. How to police it without without punishing those who just like a bit of colour on their card though....
Wayne Somerville

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-27, 22:33

You are allowed the "aid to memory" of the vulnerability marked on the board, or the scorecard. However, if you color code the scorecard, so that say, green corresponds to 10-12 1NT, yellow to 12-14, and red to 15-17, you have gone too far. This aid to memory is illegal.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-March-28, 09:51

I still think that if you don't consult the color-coded scorecard during the auction, you're OK.

In fact, I think it would even be legal if you or your partner said to each other "We're red vs. white on this board, so it's strong NT", so long as you do it before either of you takes your cards from the board. This is similar to checking the opponent's CC, noticing that they play weak NT, and reminding each other "We're playing Cappalletti against their NT".

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-March-28, 17:43

On reflection, I think you're right barry, that reminders (literally aids to memory) are legal if only used while hands are still in the board.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-29, 09:47

Many years ago I had a team-mate who liked to play NT ranges that varied with position as well as vulnerability. On every hand before taking his cards from the board I'm told he used to say something like "we are red, so a 1NT opening by this hand would be x-y and by that hand would be a-b". It used to upset oppo a bit because, of course, they suspected that he was doing it primarily to remind his partner rather than to help them. But nobody seemed to think there was anything illegal about it....

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-March-29, 09:59

I think I would find it slightly annoying, but not illegal as well.

When playing against a pair with a sight-impaired player, their partner will announce the dealer and vulnerability before each board. Of course I understand that it's necessary and acceptable, but that doesn't change the fact that it feels annoying.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-March-29, 10:02

Why would it upset opps for him to remind his partner before the cards were taken from the board? It is only a problem once one of the pair has taken their cards.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-March-29, 10:06

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-March-29, 10:02, said:

Why would it upset opps for him to remind his partner before the cards were taken from the board? It is only a problem once one of the pair has taken their cards.

I imagine they feel that the partner should be able to determine it on his own, rather than having to be reminded on each hand.

And the repetition of this kind of information before is simply annoying, like my example of the dealer/vul and the sight-impaired player. Or bad habits like card-snapping.

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-March-30, 04:12

It must be illegal to consult the scorecard during auction and play anyway since it could serve as a memory aid in all sorts of way: state of the match, -1700 means that we are (not) playing Ghestem, etc. So I don't see the problem.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-March-30, 04:19

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-March-30, 04:12, said:

It must be illegal to consult the scorecard during auction and play anyway since it could serve as a memory aid in all sorts of way: state of the match, -1700 means that we are (not) playing Ghestem, etc. So I don't see the problem.

That interpretation would presumably make the practise of entering the contract and OL into the scorecard when dummy goes down illegal, which might surprise a large portion of the player base. Heck, I've seen players use the scorecard to remind themselves what the OL was often enough, on occasion to remind their partner what the OL was too. :angry:

#17 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-March-30, 09:22

There's a difference between "seeing" and "consulting". Just because you can see other scores while you're writing down the contract for the current board, it doesn't mean you're consulting them -- that takes more time and concentration on the parts of the scorecard where you're not writing.

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-March-30, 15:09

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-March-30, 04:19, said:

That interpretation would presumably make the practise of entering the contract and OL into the scorecard when dummy goes down illegal, which might surprise a large portion of the player base. Heck, I've seen players use the scorecard to remind themselves what the OL was often enough, on occasion to remind their partner what the OL was too. :angry:

I ask players to turn over their scorecard or close their booklet if they have entered the opening lead.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#19 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-March-31, 04:18

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-March-30, 04:19, said:

That interpretation would presumably make the practise of entering the contract and OL into the scorecard when dummy goes down illegal

As long as it is only dummy that fiddles with the score card I think it is ok.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users