Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Translation auto-translate typed text in chat

#1 User is offline   wuudturner 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-25, 05:39

BBO is SUCH an international site, with so many viewers and players from around the world. Not everyone will be speaking in english, or whatever your personal language of choice may be. This is important when playing, and an opponent explains their bids in French, German, Chinese, Polish, Sanskrit, Cuneiform, whatever. As important is when you are kibbing a vugraf between France and Germany, and the commentary is in one of those languages. Yes, I can SOMETIMES guess what was intended from my long ago taken classes in various languages.

In these days of automatic translation capabilities, I'd love to see the capability to set a native language setting for myself (english in my case). Now, if someone else has set their native language to Chinese or French, then BBO would see that we would not communicate well. All comments made by that person will be run automatically through a translate tool when the comment is sent to my chat window. And any response by me will be automatically translated for them. Yes, I know that the result would sometimes be a garbled mess. But a string of Chinese characters is not much better from my point of view. And it certainly would beat me being forced to copy what they just said, switch windows to Google translate, then paste in the text to do that same (sometimes horribly garbled) translation.

Another option might be to have me be able to right click a line in chat, and have then translated to my indicated language.

Think of how nice this would be! And while I know that auto-translation tools are far from perfect, those tools are improving every year. I'd forgive you of course, if there were no settings to go between the various versions of English spoken around the world.

#2 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2016-December-10, 04:23

When, in 2013 autumn, i begun, initially via application (BB), to frequent this site remember there was a Google translate toolbar at the top of app page with this pourpose available for guest (i wrote in italian language). Than re-start it not should have to be difficultous (almost for app and Forum) and can help condivision.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-December-10, 21:05

We've never had translation here. That must have been a browser extension of yours.

#4 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-11, 04:46

View Postbarmar, on 2016-December-10, 21:05, said:

We've never had translation here. That must have been a browser extension of yours.

And about application instead ?

#5 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-11, 09:46

View PostLovera, on 2016-December-11, 04:46, said:

Wouldn't it be a waste of BBO resources when there is already a solution for this problem? You could simply use an add-on.

#6 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-11, 14:45

View Postscarletv, on 2016-December-11, 09:46, said:

Wouldn't it be a waste of BBO resources when there is already a solution for this problem? You could simply use an add-on.

What is "an add-on" ? I was talking that i saw in app a toolbar by Google translate already available at the top of page (at the time of "1832 Oren's DD Challenge 21").

#7 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-11, 15:08

https://en.wikipedia...Add-on_(Mozilla)
Extensions for Firefox or Opera are called add-ons.

https://en.wikipedia...owser_extension

#8 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-11, 15:19

Pay attention that i don't know much about informatic but if for app it is as scarletv told, because is not avalaible also for the Forum ?

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-December-11, 23:40

View PostLovera, on 2016-December-11, 04:46, said:

There's never been a translation button in the application, either.

#10 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-12, 17:43

View Postbarmar, on 2016-December-11, 23:40, said:

There's never been a translation button in the application, either.

That bar, very thin, was on top of page from right to left side (Google translate). Probably anything actived it.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-December-13, 10:46

View PostLovera, on 2016-December-12, 17:43, said:

That bar, very thin, was on top of page from right to left side (Google translate). Probably anything actived it.

It was something you added to your browser, not something we did. We have never had a Google Translate feature in the app.

#12 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-29, 13:53

View Postbarmar, on 2016-December-13, 10:46, said:

It was something you added to your browser, not something we did. We have never had a Google Translate feature in the app.

Why is not possible to have "Select language" window (Powered by Google Translater) ? This one has a lot of languages to choise. Or an expansion, inserting these ones, in bottom window of Forum page (actually is indicate only "English USA") ? Thanks.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-December-30, 09:48

View PostLovera, on 2016-December-29, 13:53, said:

Why is not possible to have "Select language" window (Powered by Google Translater) ? This one has a lot of languages to choise. Or an expansion, inserting these ones, in bottom window of Forum page (actually is indicate only "English USA") ? Thanks.

The forum software isn't our own, it's commercial software.

#14 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-30, 10:59

View Postbarmar, on 2016-December-30, 09:48, said:

The forum software isn't our own, it's commercial software.

I have posted it because in my last topic i have seen : http://www.bridgebas...post__p__908836
Clicking on the URL (infobridge) at the bottom of page there is the Google translater i talked about. There is difference for having it (being that..) ?

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-December-30, 15:23

View PostLovera, on 2016-December-30, 10:59, said:

I have posted it because in my last topic i have seen : http://www.bridgebas...post__p__908836
Clicking on the URL (infobridge) at the bottom of page there is the Google translater i talked about. There is difference for having it (being that..) ?

The difference is that we don't control the design of the forum page, it comes from a third party vendor. If it's possible for us to add that to it, I don't know how to do it. And we can't ask the vendor for advice, because we're running an old version that they no longer provide technical support for.

#16 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-30, 17:04

View Postbarmar, on 2016-December-30, 15:23, said:

The difference is that we don't control the design of the forum page, it comes from a third party vendor. If it's possible for us to add that to it, I don't know how to do it. And we can't ask the vendor for advice, because we're running an old version that they no longer provide technical support for.

Ok thanks. I hope it is possible to make it because it 'd to be of great helpfull.

#17 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-December-31, 11:06

View PostLovera, on 2016-December-30, 17:04, said:

Ok thanks. I hope it is possible to make it because it 'd to be of great helpfull.

If you use Google Chrome, it has a built-in feature to offer translations whenever it notices lots of foreign language on a page. When I go to that infobridge.it page, Google displays "This page is in Italian, would you like to translate it?"

#18 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-31, 11:48

View Postbarmar, on 2016-December-31, 11:06, said:

If you use Google Chrome, it has a built-in feature to offer translations whenever it notices lots of foreign language on a page. When I go to that infobridge.it page, Google displays "This page is in Italian, would you like to translate it?"

If you go and click on url indicated in post #14 and 15 (http:..post p 908836) about Avarelli conv.. When you open the second url (http:....Avarelli.htm) at bottom of page (under indice - index) there is the box "Select language" ( cliking on the other languages to choise for changing) and indication "Powered by Google Traduttore" (already indicated there in italian language).([Seleziona lingua]is the box window then Powered by GoogleTraduttore copy and past)

#19 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-01, 01:53

Yes, with Chrome browser is offered the translater (than for BBO also). From infobridge homepage and then clicking "Conventions(=Convenzioni)", if may it to need (for translater), you can see: http://www.infobridg...Convenzioni.htm

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users