BBO Discussion Forums: "Zero Tolerance" in forum description - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

"Zero Tolerance" in forum description

#1 User is offline   JFriedman 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-March-20, 10:44

Just thought I'd mention that I found the description of this forum, "a friendly, zero-tolerance setting" intimidating and off-putting. Zero tolerance for what? Beginners and novices are unlikely to know the ACBL's special meaning of "zero tolerance", and I see no reason to make them guess. I asked in alt.usage.english; a few people agreed and nobody disagreed.

https://groups.googl...ish/Fw3mvw-NC4k

I'd recommend something more positive like "a friendly and polite setting" or "an atmosphere of friendliness and mutual respect".

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-March-25, 10:16

Hi JFriedman and welcome to the BBO forums. The ZT for the N/B forum refers to the idea that no question is too basic here and replies will be accommodating and friendly. By contrast, if someone asks a beginner question in the Expert forum it can attract something of a sarcastic reaction. This has nothing to do with the ACBL ZT policy.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-25, 12:31

But Zel, the problem is that "zero tolerance" sounds hostile for people who are not familiar with the ACBL (or maybe wider American?) use of the expression as meaning "zero tolerance for anti-social behaviour" or some such.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-25, 19:44

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-March-25, 12:31, said:

But Zel, the problem is that "zero tolerance" sounds hostile for people who are not familiar with the ACBL (or maybe wider American?) use of the expression as meaning "zero tolerance for anti-social behaviour" or some such.

It even sounds hostile to some Americans who have been ACBL members for 30 years (like me). See this excellent entry in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia...e_%28schools%29 .

#5 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-25, 20:11

View PostBbradley62, on 2016-March-25, 19:44, said:

It even sounds hostile to some Americans who have been ACBL members for 30 years (like me). See this excellent entry in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia...e_%28schools%29 .

I find the phrase Zero Tolerance to be pretty awful and the way it often works in practice to be even worse. However with BBO I have never experienced any problems. I take it in the spirit that it is intended here. When I was a beginner someone told me not to underlead a king. So I led the king. Seemed stupid, but if my betters thought it right, I supposed that it must be. I think we are being asked to recall the early stages of our life and show a little restraint. Bad phrase, good idea.
Ken

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-26, 14:28

View Postkenberg, on 2016-March-25, 20:11, said:

Bad phrase, good idea.

Agreed. I think that is exactly OP's point.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users