• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Losing connection

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-March-05, 09:48

I have found connection problems lately that weren't there previously, might have osmethng with my new computer having windows 7.

I am hosting a table (Sadly a teaching table), and then my client stops exchanging data.

It is like I am connected to the the server, but no, there is nothing new on the screen, it lets me try to chat, but I never receive anything back. So I have to reconnect, and it is even worse because I always lose my teaching table as it was somehow designed to be lost when the owner is gone instead of what happens on normal ones.

I tried with the 2 clients and same thing happens, I still have internet conection, I can surf the web while this happens, but might have some packet loss.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-March-05, 22:39

Unfortunately, teaching tables are not like normal MBC tables, which will simply assign a new host when the old host goes away. At teaching tables, the teacher is always the host and has to be there for the table to stay open.

Unfortunately, there's not much we can do any connection problems at the user end. If there were something wrong at our end, we'd know about it from our monitoring and from getting complaints from lots of users.

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-March-06, 10:21

Thanks, what bothers me is that it doesn't disconnect me, it is like it is forever trying to recover conection, and I think sometimes it manages to do so after 10-20 seconds.

When my connection failed in the past it would prompt me to the login page, this doesn't do it, so I keep wondering if it is something about a change on the client, a change on my ISP or a change in my OS.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-March-06, 15:30

If the connection isn't bad enough to completely disconnect, that's what will happen -- everything is just really slow. How many bars do you see in the connection indicator when this happens?

#5 User is offline   TrialBid 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-31, 11:17

It may be coincidence but shortly after I began using the Flash beta client, disconnects have become rampant and in all versions.

In the Flash clients my connection always shows as excellent. A steady ping to bridgebase.com shows a packet loss rate of about 0.1 percent--right through disconnects, too. Other online gaming sites seem completely unaffected.

Bridge Base Online may not be having a generic problem, but neither is there any detectable problem on my end. What's next?

Updated information: the "Just Play Bridge" option for Bridge Base is solid for hours at a time. Occasionally I'll see a connection trouble announcement, but it is resolved in seconds without disruption.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-April-01, 08:57

Just Play Bridge is a very different protocol and uses different servers from the real BBO application. So it's not surprising that connection problems for one would not be reflected in the other.

#7 User is offline   TrialBid 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-April-04, 18:22

View Postbarmar, on 2016-April-01, 08:57, said:

Just Play Bridge is a very different protocol and uses different servers from the real BBO application. So it's not surprising that connection problems for one would not be reflected in the other.

That's discouraging to hear that the free demonstration application is more robust and reliable than what we may be paying for.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-April-05, 09:48

View PostTrialBid, on 2016-April-04, 18:22, said:

That's discouraging to hear that the free demonstration application is more robust and reliable than what we may be paying for.

It's a newer design, making use of modern technologies that weren't available when we designed the original BBO server. And it also doesn't do as much, so it doesn't need all the capabilities of the main BBO server.

We can't easily redesign the real BBO application the same way, because of all the compatibility issues. JPB is a simple, standalone application.

#9 User is offline   suivant 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-August-14, 00:35

frequent lost of connection on bbo

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users