• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EU Brexit thread

#641 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-12, 16:55

View PostVampyr, on 2016-August-11, 08:52, said:

Not here, where we are building (and live in) the smallest dwellings in Europe. Most of what we are building are very small apartments which cost at least £400,000, for people whose wages are close to the lowest in Western Europe.

There are also large flats costing millions being built, but these are usually purchased by foreigners and kept empty.

We discussed this issue before, there are many places outside of London that can be had for less than 400K euros. If you cannot afford to live in London, then move! It is useless to have a job and still not be able to have a roof over your head. This will reduce the demand for housing and reduce the prices. There are plenty of open spaces to build on, people just say no, there are plenty of places to build up, but people say no, there are plenty of industrial and office space that can be converted to live in but people say no. i mean rich people are even building under the ground to live, huge underground homes and the response is more regulations to stop them.

as for my tomato comments refer back to earlier in this thread. :)

#642 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 17:00

View Postmike777, on 2016-August-12, 16:55, said:

There is something called stretching the methaphor. And you just did! Beyond it's breaking point!

#643 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 17:13

View Postshyams, on 2016-August-12, 16:03, said:

Didn't mean to upvote. Instead, I meant to say "Huh?"

I meant to upvote!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#644 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-August-12, 17:32

View Postmike777, on 2016-August-12, 16:55, said:

We discussed this issue before, there are many places outside of London that can be had for less than 400K euros. If you cannot afford to live in London, then move! It is useless to have a job and still not be able to have a roof over your head. This will reduce the demand for housing and reduce the prices. There are plenty of open spaces to build on, people just say no, there are plenty of places to build up, but people say no, there are plenty of industrial and office space that can be converted to live in but people say no. i mean rich people are even building under the ground to live, huge underground homes and the response is more regulations to stop them.

Rich people are not building huge underground homes, they are building huge underground extensions and putting in home cinemas and indoor pools.

As far as moving out of London, well you say it would reduce the demand for housing and the prices; fin a but it is not happening. The problem is mainly jobs, but also many people prefer to remain a same-nationality ghetto. And I imagine there are many other reasons.

Perhaps after Brexit we will return to doing our own manufacturing and there will be jobs all around the country. In my dreams, I know.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#645 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-12, 18:08

Fair enough V. The solution to the problem of not being able to afford to live in London is still to move.

If you have a job in london but cannot afford a roof over your head then move!

If you are an immigrant and cannot find a job or a roof over your head in London then move!

I suppose some alternatives are throw the govt out of London and replace it with one that is more job friendly/home builder friendly or give everyone a check to live on, an idea that is catching on with the progressive movement.

In any event it is up to you Brits to pick which pathway or tomatoes you prefer, good luck.

#646 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-24, 18:18

Are we in trouble yet? I mean, Brexit was supposed to lead to ruin and GLOBAL FINANCIAL INSTABILITY or did they say "might"?

Now, any major institution or central bank that flushed its CDSs etc would.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#647 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-August-25, 05:31

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2016-August-24, 18:18, said:

Are we in trouble yet? I mean, Brexit was supposed to lead to ruin and GLOBAL FINANCIAL INSTABILITY or did they say "might"?

Now, any major institution or central bank that flushed its CDSs etc would.

Brexit will not happen for a few years.

#648 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-August-25, 11:00

Fortunately, then, we will have time to adapt and the markets have probably already priced-in the event so it may not be so bad after all.

#649 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-25, 12:24

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2016-August-25, 11:00, said:

Fortunately, then, we will have time to adapt and the markets have probably already priced-in the event so it may not be so bad after all.

We are adopting the Eurozone model :). We push away any decision involving pain/downside further into the future in the fond belief that a problem ignored is a problem solved.

After all, as Keynes said, in the long run we are all dead. And obviously the dead don't care about the problems of the living.

#650 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-August-25, 12:36

View Postshyams, on 2016-August-25, 12:24, said:

We are adopting the Eurozone model :). We push away any decision involving pain/downside further into the future in the fond belief that a problem ignored is a problem solved.

After all, as Keynes said, in the long run we are all dead. And obviously the dead don't care about the problems of the living.

Are you dead sure about that? Lol Indeed it looks like they know that the next "collapse" is due soon so they just set up the bail-ins and can now wait for the inevitable.

#651 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-11, 16:16

So a few months in, let's take stock.

There have been some reports that the UK economy hasn't suffered much by Brexit. That sounds a bit like saying "Yay, my boss is still paying me for 40h a week! (After he cut my salary by 20%.)" Normally a currency devaluation like the one the GBP just suffered leads to an enormous boost, and it would be a silly thing to do while unemployment is low. With Brexit, it just about manages to keep things going about as mediocre as before.

Meanwhile, a lot of posters here assured us that voting for Brexit wasn't really about immigration, or at least not about high-skilled immigration. I am sure they were all protesting in the streets when Theresa May announced that foreign doctors may be forced out of the NHS by 2025, that companies had to produce lists of foreign workers, that it would be a hard Brexit, etc. Right? Surely Theresa May is completely misunderstanding the voting intentions of many who voted for Brexit?

Meanwhile, Theresa May is is urged to promise Nissan that there won't by EU tariffs, a promise that only the EU could make - just a small sign for the utterly weak position the UK has put itself in.

But at least the UK won't have to put up with EU refrigerator regulations any more. (Except of course no company in the world would manufacture special UK-refrigerator non-conformant with EU regulations.)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#652 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-October-11, 17:02

So, thus far, Brexit = not enough of a change to make a difference to most?

#653 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2016-October-11, 17:05

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2016-October-11, 17:02, said:

LOL.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#654 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-12, 01:31

So, in the UK nobody is complaining about the price increases for imported stuff? Or is it the oil companies' fault that fuel isn't cheaper?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#655 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-October-12, 01:59

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2016-October-11, 17:02, said:

In the same way that turning off every coal power station in the world and adding a worldwide carbon tax would be not enough of a change to make a difference to most?
(-: Zel :-)

#656 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-12, 15:19

We haven't seen any impact yet from the decision, of course. What we have seen is the pound plummeting from the obvious government policy of reducing the value of the pound to lessen the burden of debt. Or if it is not government policy, Carney should be sacked. Once upon a time we put the interest rates up when inflation was about to hit : now it seems the opposite.

What we are hearing is a lot of noise, with a number of international trading partners looking forward to reduced tariffs when we leave the EU, with JCB quitting the CBI over their petulant anti-Brexit stance, with many people threatening doom and gloom without actually dismantling their factories or whatever, but what we are feeling and actually seeing is nothing yet. As expected. Give it a couple of years and come back to this thread.

#657 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2016-October-12, 15:29

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-October-12, 15:19, said:

We haven't seen any impact yet from the decision, of course. What we have seen is the pound plummeting from the obvious government policy of reducing the value of the pound to lessen the burden of debt.

LOL.

#658 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-12, 15:31

View PostTrinidad, on 2016-October-12, 01:31, said:

So, in the UK nobody is complaining about the price increases for imported stuff? Or is it the oil companies' fault that fuel isn't cheaper?
Rik

It's the fault of your compatriots, apparently! Interesting extract from the Independent :

Tesco is running out of several leading household brands following a row over prices with its major supplier Unilever.
The food, toiletries and household goods firm have refused to supply the supermarket giant after it refused to raise prices by 10 per cent on their products.
Unilever, which is based in the Netherlands, claimed that due to the dramatic fall in the value of the pound compared to the euro and the dollar they had to put up prices.
Unilever, which controls brands such as Marmite, Dove, Comfort, Flora, Pot Noodle and Ben & Jerrys, has reportedly approached several retailers asking them to raise prices in response.
One anonymous source told the Guardian: “Unilever is using Brexit as an excuse to raise prices, even on products that are made in the UK”.

#659 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-13, 05:34

View PostfromageGB, on 2016-October-12, 15:31, said:

It's the fault of your compatriots, apparently! Interesting extract from the Independent :

Tesco is running out of several leading household brands following a row over prices with its major supplier Unilever.
The food, toiletries and household goods firm have refused to supply the supermarket giant after it refused to raise prices by 10 per cent on their products.
Unilever, which is based in the Netherlands, claimed that due to the dramatic fall in the value of the pound compared to the euro and the dollar they had to put up prices.
Unilever, which controls brands such as Marmite, Dove, Comfort, Flora, Pot Noodle and Ben & Jerrys, has reportedly approached several retailers asking them to raise prices in response.
One anonymous source told the Guardian: “Unilever is using Brexit as an excuse to raise prices, even on products that are made in the UK”.

Thanks for the info!

It seems to me that a large part of the UK public is in stage 1 of coping with grieve and loss: Denial. They want to live on as if nothing has happened.

The next stages will be anger (some people seem to be there already, at least they blame Unilever for the UK mess), bargaining (the UK ain't ready for that yet), depression (yes, the worst is still to come) and acceptance (this may take a while).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#660 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-October-13, 06:39

View PostTrinidad, on 2016-October-13, 05:34, said:

It seems to me that a large part of the UK public is in stage 1 of coping with grieve and loss: Denial. They want to live on as if nothing has happened.

I am curious to know how you perceive the demographics of the "large part of the UK public" who are "in denial". Do you mean Bremainers, or Brexiteers? Or both?

For denial to be inappropriate, there has to have been a loss to be denied. A few marmite jars missing from a supermarket shelf for a week or two because of a spat between a couple of corporations, heavyweights though they may be, does not really cut it.

My expectation is that you refer to Brexiteers. The Bremainers would generally be only too happy to believe in a perceived manifestation of loss as justifying their preference. and tend to the "I told you so" camp.

My perception of the Brexiteers is that they take a longer term view. Market fluctuations caused by market speculators is not of primary concern to them, nor were they unexpected. Incidentally, there is also a large part of the UK business world that is not doing badly at all out of the recent fluctuations. It may be rather premature to criticise them for being in denial, if the current snapshot is atypical of the position in 5 years time.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users