BBO Discussion Forums: 1NT (3 Clubs) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

1NT (3 Clubs) what does this overcall show?

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2016-February-11, 18:48

Partner bid 3 over the opps' weak No Trump. We went 3 off - -300. Partner had seven clubs with AQ missing!! I had one club. He apologised afterwards - a mad moment.
With what holding would you make a bid like this?

#2 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-February-11, 18:50

Vulnerability matters a lot, and so does the entire rest of the hand. A 7222 hand is nothing like a 7420 hand, for example.

Hands with really good suits (like KQJTxxx) and a singleton, I would always bid 3C non-vulnerable, and would probably do so r/r. Not sure about r/w.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#3 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-February-12, 02:59

View PostLiversidge, on 2016-February-11, 18:48, said:

Partner bid 3 over the opps' weak No Trump. We went 3 off - -300. Partner had seven clubs with AQ missing!! I had one club. He apologised afterwards - a mad moment.
With what holding would you make a bid like this?

To answer the question directly, and absent agreement to the contrary, long clubs. Just what your partner had apparently.

Holding 7 clubs and only making 6 tricks, it sounds to me quite possible that opps had some sort of game on. In which case -300 wouldn't have been so bad.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-12, 04:45

Your NT defence needs to be considered as a whole rather than each bid being independent. If 2 is artficial then 3 typically shows a constructive overcall with long clubs. It gets more interesting when the constructive overcall can be shown using a different route. The majority probably then use 3 as a form of weak jump overcall, although there are other possibilities (2-suiters and 3-suiters). In general though, 2 is going to be used artificially over a weak NT so the stronger (intermediate strength) hand is the one to expect.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-12, 05:03

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-February-12, 04:45, said:

Your NT defence needs to be considered as a whole rather than each bid being independent. If 2 is artficial then 3 typically shows a constructive overcall with long clubs. It gets more interesting when the constructive overcall can be shown using a different route. The majority probably then use 3 as a form of weak jump overcall, although there are other possibilities (2-suiters and 3-suiters). In general though, 2 is going to be used artificially over a weak NT so the stronger (intermediate strength) hand is the one to expect.

Also just in general, it is not a good idea to come in over a weak NT without constructive values.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users