• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

canape with precision responder's bid after a take out double

#1 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-February-11, 06:27

Partner and I are learning Canapé and are having pretty good success after 6 weeks thus far ( but we have a long way to go) We are starting with Ken Rexford's MICS book as the basis and there are limited published resources that I can find on the topic where the system needs to also be ACBL compliant

I am looking for suggested responses when bidding has gone 1H or 1S by Partner and is doubled (takeout)and now it is your turn to bid..

Blue Team Club system apparently uses the redouble to show 10+ and other bids to be limiting and natural, but this may be 'old=fashioned' thinking

Partner and I were using a transfer scheme of bids over the double when we were opening 5 card Majors, but this doesn't feel right where Partner may have opened a 4 card Major and also has a hidden 5 or 6 card suit.

Can I get a suggested scheme of responses for me to study and consider , where bidding has gone 1M - X - ?

Thank you

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-February-11, 06:37

View PostShugart23, on 2016-February-11, 06:27, said:

Partner and I are learning Canapé and are having pretty good success after 6 weeks thus far ( but we have a long way to go) We are starting with Ken Rexford's MICS book as the basis and there are limited published resources that I can find on the topic where the system needs to also be ACBL compliant

I am looking for suggested responses when bidding has gone 1H or 1S by Partner and is doubled (takeout)and now it is your turn to bid..

Blue Team Club system apparently uses the redouble to show 10+ and other bids to be limiting and natural, but this may be 'old=fashioned' thinking

Partner and I were using a transfer scheme of bids over the double when we were opening 5 card Majors, but this doesn't feel right where Partner may have opened a 4 card Major and also has a hidden 5 or 6 card suit.

Can I get a suggested scheme of responses for me to study and consider , where bidding has gone 1M - X - ?

Thank you

Here's what I would recommend after 1S - (X)

4S = to play
4H = to play
4D = Splinter
4C = splinter
3N = Defensively oriented raise to 4M establish a forcing pass at the 5 level
3S = value raise. 4 card support
3H = Fit showing jump. 5+ Hearts and 4 Spades
3D = Fit showing jump, 5+ Diamonds and 4 Spades
3C = Fit showing jump, 5+ Clubs and 4 Spades
2N = limit raise or better in Spades
2S = Preemptive
2H = Defensively oriented raise to 2S, 3 card support (if partner has a 4 bagger, double their 3 level contract)
2D = Xfer to hearts (could include a 3 card limit raise)
2C = Xfer to Diamonds (could include 3 card limit raise)
1N = to play
XX = Xfer to clubs (could include 3 card limit raise)

Please note: You are going to be immediately bidding to the 2 level with 3 piece support and bidding to the 3 level with 4 card support.

Make damn sure that you are good at playing your Moysians. Equally significant, you want to be going for blood if you are in a 4-3 at the two level and the opponent's balance. A lot of your best results are going to come from bad balancing decisions by the opps. You want to be doubling aggressively. (and you're going to want to maximize these results to offset those occasions where you're in a LAW breaking 3M contract)
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-11, 15:57

Thanks that is similar to what we do with 5 card Majors but I am wondering about the structure where partner is likely to have a 5 or 6 card suit and only a 4 card Major......so playing standard American where you have 5 Spades and say 4 Diamonds, the structure makes sense.....but if you are playing canapé and have 4 Spades and 6 Diamonds it doesn't 'feel' right.....

Say bidding goes 1S-X - ? an you hold Axx, Kxxxx, Jxx,xx SO you might bid 2D (transfer to Hearts) and then rebid the Spades to Play and miss your 8 or 9 card Diamond fit

Maybe Blue Team has it right where the redouble is strong and gives Opener the green light to canapé.....I just don't know

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-February-11, 17:32

View PostShugart23, on 2016-February-11, 15:57, said:

Thanks that is similar to what we do with 5 card Majors but I am wondering about the structure where partner is likely to have a 5 or 6 card suit and only a 4 card Major......so playing standard American where you have 5 Spades and say 4 Diamonds, the structure makes sense.....but if you are playing canapé and have 4 Spades and 6 Diamonds it doesn't 'feel' right.....

Say bidding goes 1S-X - ? an you hold Axx, Kxxxx, Jxx,xx SO you might bid 2D (transfer to Hearts) and then rebid the Spades to Play and miss your 8 or 9 card Diamond fit

***** happens

This type of opening style is all about getting to an acceptable contract as quickly as possible, at the cost of potentially missing your best fit.

FWIW, with the hand in question, I would never chose to show the heart suit.

1. If you show Hearts and then show spade support, you are showing a much stronger hand
2. There has already been a takeout double. RHO almost certainly has 4 hearts. Why suggest a heart contract to partner when you have a Spade fit? Plus, you can always pray that the opponents play in Hearts
3. You don't particularly want a heart lead

With this hand, I am going to bid 2H, showing a good raise to 2S with some defense.
(I prefer an immediate 2S to a transfer to Hearts)
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-11, 19:15

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-February-11, 17:32, said:

***** happens

This type of opening style is all about getting to an acceptable contract as quickly as possible, at the cost of potentially missing your best fit.

FWIW, with the hand in question, I would never chose to show the heart suit.

1. If you show Hearts and then show spade support, you are showing a much stronger hand
2. There has already been a takeout double. RHO almost certainly has 4 hearts. Why suggest a heart contract to partner when you have a Spade fit? Plus, you can always pray that the opponents play in Hearts
3. You don't particularly want a heart lead

With this hand, I am going to bid 2H, showing a good raise to 2S with some defense.
(I prefer an immediate 2S to a transfer to Hearts)

Yeah, my example was bad....I agree I don't want a Heart lead, nor ......the way partner and I play, the transfer to Hearts first and then the Spade rebid is weaker than the transfer first into Spades and then the rebid of Hearts with the former being suggestion of a lead and not a suit. Swap the A and K in my example, and I may want the Heart lead.

I also agree s**t happens, but I still think with the Opener having a longer suit in a higher frequency of hands using canapé bidding than standard, this type of scheme is going to cause more trips to the bathroom.....

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-12, 04:23

Take hrothgar's advice on this one. He has a lot of experience with this kind of system and to be honest the whole point about it is applying pressure and hitting the opps when they step out. Weaker opps will step out often but it is often difficult even for better players to make the right decisions consistently. If you are not willing to take on the risks involved, you are probably better off going back to a 5 card major system.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#7 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-12, 05:47

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-February-12, 04:23, said:

Take hrothgar's advice on this one. He has a lot of experience with this kind of system and to be honest the whole point about it is applying pressure and hitting the opps when they step out. Weaker opps will step out often but it is often difficult even for better players to make the right decisions consistently. If you are not willing to take on the risks involved, you are probably better off going back to a 5 card major system.

I am not disputing the advice at all but I am thinking there may be better alternatives...There is limited material on this topic in a canapé system and what Hrothgar is suggesting is what I do currently, or nearly so This is why I posted in the expert section..

.....But here is what I am considering.....suppose you have a Diamond-Spade canapé hand (4-5 or 4-6 distribution)...you Open 1D and get Doubled, while the rest of the room opens 1S and does not get doubled....Now suppose your partner has a fairly weak hand...maybe 3-4 Diamonds, maybe a singleton or doubleton Spade...The rest of the room in your direction is competing in Spades while you and your partner are screwing around with Diamonds and getting a low board. It seems like the transfer method of dealing with a take out double is principally tailored to 5 card Major Openings...

When one opens a 5 card Major, there is probably a very small chance, you have a longer side suit...When one opens Canape, I think I read that there is a 40% chance that Opener has a longer side suit....I think when a canapé Opener is doubled for take out, there needs to be an emphasis on exploring for the possible or probable better fit ..

Maybe I am daft in my thinking on this.....Hrothgar, are you a predominantly canapé player or a 5 card Major opener ?

#8 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-February-12, 09:54

View PostShugart23, on 2016-February-12, 05:47, said:

Maybe I am daft in my thinking on this.....Hrothgar, are you a predominantly canapé player or a 5 card Major opener ?

When I have a "serious" partnership, we are almost inevitably playing some form of MOSCITO. With this said and done, its been a few years since I have played seriously (which has quite a bit to do with the fact that MOSCITO is banned in the US). This days, when I play its largely at our game at lunch where I am stuck playing 5 card majors.

FWIW, the version of MOSCITO that I play is based on a majors first opening style where

2C shows 6+ clubs
1N = 11 - 14 balanced
1S = unbalanced with 4+ Diamonds
1H = 4+ Spades
1D = 4+ Hearts

Opener will normally chose to show a 4 card major in preference to a longer minor, but does have the option to open 2C or 1S with a 6+ card minor and a very weak 4 card holding in the major.
Alderaan delenda est

#9 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-13, 04:21

Partner and I are playing MICS (canapé) What do you (or anyone) suggest I do when I hear partner open 1D and it get's doubled and I have a singleton Spade in my hand and 8-11 HCP ? I 'know' she is sitting across from me with 6 Spades

#10 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-February-13, 05:29

View PostShugart23, on 2016-February-13, 04:21, said:

Partner and I are playing MICS (canapé) What do you (or anyone) suggest I do when I hear partner open 1D and it get's doubled and I have a singleton Spade in my hand and 8-11 HCP ? I 'know' she is sitting across from me with 6 Spades

I don't know what hand types a MICS 1 opening promises / denies, nor their relative frequencies)
(This would be a useful thing to know)

In an ideal world, can you provide a Dealer script so I can play around with the opening? Barring this, a set of 100 or so 1D openers would be good.
If neither of these is possible a written description might suffice.
Alderaan delenda est

#11 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-13, 05:51

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-February-13, 05:29, said:

I don't know what hand types a MICS 1 opening promises / denies, nor their relative frequencies)
(This would be a useful thing to know)

In an ideal world, can you provide a Dealer script so I can play around with the opening? Barring this, a set of 100 or so 1D openers would be good.
If neither of these is possible a written description might suffice.

1D opening is 10-15 HCP and shows a)long Diamonds...b)long Clubs.....c)5+ Spades and 4+ Diamonds...or d) 5+ Hearts and 4+ Diamonds

#12 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-February-13, 09:09

View PostShugart23, on 2016-February-13, 05:51, said:

1D opening is 10-15 HCP and shows a)long Diamonds...b)long Clubs.....c)5+ Spades and 4+ Diamonds...or d) 5+ Hearts and 4+ Diamonds

Still doesn't tell me that that much. For example, is the following hand a 1 opening or 2?

KQx
xxx
x
AKxxxx

What about

KQx
x
KQxxx
AKxx
Alderaan delenda est

#13 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-13, 09:19

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-February-13, 09:09, said:

Still doesn't tell me that that much. For example, is the following hand a 1 opening or 2?

KQx
xxx
x
AKxxxx

What about

KQx
x
KQxxx
AKxx

The first hand is opened 1D because you have a decent 6 card Club suit....The second hand is opened 1C because it is 16 Plus HCP...but turn the KQx of Spades to Jxx and you open it 2D.....2D hands show both Minors..usually 5-5 but can get away with 54 sometimes

#14 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-13, 09:19

View PostShugart23, on 2016-February-13, 09:19, said:

The first hand is opened 1D because you have a decent 6 card Club suit....The second hand is opened 1C because it is 16 Plus HCP...but turn the KQx of Spades to Jxx and you open it 2D.....2D hands show both Minors..usually 5-5 but can get away with 54 sometimes

2C openings show 3 suit hands...ala mini-Roman

#15 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-13, 13:34

Maybe the answer is, if partner opens 1 of a Major and is doubled, use the scheme you described above since you know at least partner has 4 cards in the Major.. If partner's artificial Diamond bid is doubled, perhaps you simply ignore the double and bid like you normally would have in the absence of the double

#16 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-February-13, 13:37

View PostShugart23, on 2016-February-13, 13:34, said:

Maybe the answer is, if partner opens 1 of a Major and is doubled, use the scheme you described above since you know at least partner has 4 cards in the Major.. If partner's artificial Diamond bid is doubled, perhaps you simply ignore the double and bid like you normally would have in the absence of the double

I don't play systems where I don't have some known anchor suit.
I really can't give much practical advice over your 1 opening.

Sorry
Alderaan delenda est

#17 User is online   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2016-February-13, 14:18

View Posthrothgar said:

I don't play systems where I don't have some known anchor suit.
I really can't give much practical advice over your 1 opening.

Sorry

I AGREE, too many possibilities in the 1 opening. We gave up the 2 mini-Roman hand, therefore 1 is always 4 or more s. Minimum 4441 hands can be handled with a 1 bid. Sometimes the best contract is 1NT.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#18 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-13, 14:29

Precision L...I know you play a strong club canapé system....when your partner's 1H or 1S is doubled , do you use a transfer scheme as has been suggested?

#19 User is online   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2016-February-13, 15:59

View PostShugart23 said:

Precision L...I know you play a strong club canapé system....when your partner's 1H or 1S is doubled , do you use a transfer scheme as has been suggested?

No, we do not use a transfer scheme over opponents takeout double.

Partner usually has (a) balanced hand with 10-13 hcp (we play a 14-16 NT), or (b) canape with longer minor, or © 6-cd or very good 5-cd major, or (d) 3 suited with or without 4-cd spades.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#20 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-13, 16:05

View PostPrecisionL, on 2016-February-13, 15:59, said:

No, we do not use a transfer scheme over opponents takeout double.

Partner usually has (a) balanced hand with 10-13 hcp (we play a 14-16 NT), or (b) canape with longer minor, or © 6-cd or very good 5-cd major, or (d) 3 suited with or without 4-cd spades.

so when bidding goes 1H -(x) - ?, what are your bids? what is a redouble ?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users