BBO Discussion Forums: Responses with a Minimum after Stayman - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responses with a Minimum after Stayman

#1 User is offline   Elyk25 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-February-11, 00:13

Q862
QT2
KJ543

Bidding in a 1NT auction after not finding a fit with stayman with responder holding a minimum can sometimes be tricky. The other day my partner held the above hand. The Auction went: P-1NT(by me)-P-2C-P-2D-P-3D-P-3NT.

We ended up in a disagreement on if 2NT is a possible bid responder can make, and what 3 would mean. My partner choose to bid 3D, and me with a minimum 1NT opener and very nice diamond support (AQxxx) decided to bid 3NT (with stoppers in all suits-- 2aces, 2kings).

Is 2NT a good bid by my partner with the hand above? should 3D be taken as invitational to game (asking if I have Diamond support) or as a signoff?

Thank you for the commentary.
:-)

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-February-11, 01:30

3 is normally game forcing, though of course you can have other agreements for hands with a 4-card major and longer diamonds, eg you transfer to diamonds and then bid a 4-card major. Now 3 can be invitational in your auction. But of course in this particular case, if it was intended as a signoff, why did partner not simply pass 2?

There is an old-fashioned method whereby one bids Stayman (with or without a major) and then bids 3 of a minor as a weak takeout. But again this cannot be the case here, since partner did not pass 2.

There seems no particular reason why partner cannot bid 2NT after the Stayman sequence, since clearly he wanted to invite. Do you not play that as natural and invitational?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-11, 03:33

If 16 points including AQxxx of diamonds is a minimum 1NT in your style then it is ok to force to game with this hand. So 3 is fine.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-February-11, 04:14

Your NT range is relevant information here. If 1NT was weak, such as is normal in the Acol Club, then Responder would do best passing 2. If the range is 15-17 then an invite would be appropriate - how to invite depends on agreements but 2NT would be the default rebid. If the range is 16-18, popular for example in the WP Club, then Responder can force to game. Again, agreements vary here but the default meaning for a 3 rebid would be natural and forcing, so that would be ok. On the other hand, a practical call for a pick-up partnership would be 3NT, thus side-stepping the issue. I would not suggest using the 3 rebid for invites or as a sign-off without a specific agreement to play it that way.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#5 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-February-11, 05:15

I'd just pass over 2D. It's going to be a great contract and I'm ok with missing game every now and then. It's tougher if you add a jack or two. Ideally I like to have some sort of shortness showing call over 1NT, if not, then it gets messy. It's actually a very natural and to me appealingly simple way of bidding (say, 3m=4+ suit, stiff in other minor, 3M=4+ suit, stiff in other major - there are better ways of arranging them but it's a start), you could consider adopting it.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#6 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-11, 10:30

As Helene T pointed out you seem to have 16 points with a 5-card suit (the opening post mentions two aces, two kings and the queen of diamonds). I'm not sure of your NT range, but if playing 15-17 wouldn't you have accepted a 2 invite and ended in 3NT anyway?

Game seems to be a reasonable chance (there is some unfortunate duplication in diamonds). What was the problem? Were the opps able to run club tricks?

#7 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-February-11, 13:33

If you play 1nt with 5 carder minors,this sort of overbidding/underbidding may crop up.

#8 User is offline   creatbid 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-February-12, 12:21

It seemed that the range of your 1nt was 16-18 when you said you had 2A, 2K and Q for the minimum. Since your pd was stopped on only with singleton and the least hcps for stayman, it's safer to pass 2 than to bid 2nt. Although 3 also promises 5+, how could your pd expect the pass was as strong as 33 absolutely became invitational trying 5, 3nt or even slams with your support and agreement. Of course, you two could stop at 3 or 4.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users