BBO Discussion Forums: Timeliness of Rulings - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Timeliness of Rulings Eight boards matches Swiss Pairs IMPs v datum converted to VPs

Poll: Timeliness of ruling (9 member(s) have cast votes)

How long should a player have to wait to get a ruling.

1. Immediately (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. At or by the end of the hand (1 votes [11.11%])

3. At or by the end of the match (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. At lunchtime - end of round four (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

5. At the end of play - after six more rounds (2 votes [22.22%])

6. Within a day (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Within a week (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Other (please state) (0 votes [0.00%])

Are any of the options unreasonably long?

1. Immediately (0 votes [0.00%])

2. At or by the end of the hand (0 votes [0.00%])

3. At or by the end of the match (1 votes [11.11%])

4. At lunchtime - end of round four (1 votes [11.11%])

5. At the end of play - after six more rounds (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

6. Within a day (2 votes [22.22%])

7. Within a week (1 votes [11.11%])

8. Other (please state) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-February-17, 10:30

View Postszgyula, on 2016-February-17, 02:42, said:

Just one side remark: I can not interpret the 'If you knew that "everyone" in an area plays it one way...' argument. One bid is either alertable or it is not.

Some of the alert regulations refer to things like "highly unusual and unexpected" and "a weak bid that sounds strong". These can only be interpreted with respect to what most people play, since the regulations don't give any specific definition of what "sounds strong" means.

#22 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-February-18, 03:21

View Postpran, on 2016-February-16, 09:05, said:

IMHO the Director must never announce to the involved players any ruling that could be influenced by his knowledge about cards yet to be played.

Where in my post did I involve a TD ruling based on his knowledge of the cards? I was talking about a case where MI comes to light before the opening lead (in which case the TD should rule immediately, since one of the players may be allowed to change his call) and a case of MI that comes to light after the opening lead (in which case the TD should rule after the hand).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#23 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-18, 11:02

View PostTrinidad, on 2016-February-18, 03:21, said:

Where in my post did I involve a TD ruling based on his knowledge of the cards? I was talking about a case where MI comes to light before the opening lead (in which case the TD should rule immediately, since one of the players may be allowed to change his call) and a case of MI that comes to light after the opening lead (in which case the TD should rule after the hand).

Rik

How can a TD rule damage from MI without knowledge of the cards held by the player(s) involved?

MI can well be established even before the opening lead, but damage from such MI cannot be established before end of play without disclosing important information about closed hands.

If a player claims that he wants to change his call because of established MI during the auction period he should be allowed to do so, subject to possible adjustment at end of play if the Director then finds that the claim was unjustified.

#24 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-18, 17:54

Rik's reason for ruling on the question "was there MI?" in the first example has nothing to do with whether there was damage. The director need not even look at the hands. The question is answered by investigate the pair's bidding agreements.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2016-February-18, 18:11

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-February-18, 17:54, said:

Rik's reason for ruling on the question "was there MI?" in the first example has nothing to do with whether there was damage. The director need not even look at the hands. The question is answered by investigate the pair's bidding agreements.

True, but the important ruling in MI cases is what damage, if any, was caused by the MI.

#26 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-18, 20:11

View Postpran, on 2016-February-18, 18:11, said:

True, but the important ruling in MI cases is what damage, if any, was caused by the MI.

So it's not important that the last member of the NOS to call gets to change his call if he wants?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#27 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2016-February-19, 04:06

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-February-18, 17:54, said:

View Postpran, on 2016-February-18, 18:11, said:

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-February-18, 20:11, said:

So it's not important that the last member of the NOS to call gets to change his call if he wants?

I did write "true" about that part of the ruling (which is, or at least should be) routine.

We don't require the Director to the table when there is agreement on hesitations, only when a ruling is needed on the possible damage from the hesitation.

We could similarly have done without the Director to the table also when there is agreement on misinformation, and saved his presence for ruling on possible damage. However we obviously do not trust the players' knowledge on Law 21B so the Director is needed twice in such cases: first for allowing change of call and second for ruling on possible damage.

#28 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-19, 09:31

View Postpran, on 2016-February-19, 04:06, said:

I did write "true" about that part of the ruling (which is, or at least should be) routine.

It seems as if in this case it wasn't as routine as you like it to be: After all, the TD didn't know immediately whether the 2 bid required an alert. (And this is something he should know in a reasonable time, if the potential MI comes to light before the opening lead.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#29 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-February-19, 10:01

View Postpran, on 2016-February-18, 11:02, said:

How can a TD rule damage from MI without knowledge of the cards held by the player(s) involved?

In a MI case there are two rulings required: first, what the NOS can do as soon as the MI comes to light (change their last call), and second, whether and how to adjust the result. Only the latter requires knowledge of the cards.

The first is so mechanical that I suppose you didn't consider it to be a "ruling". But technically it is.

#30 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2016-February-19, 11:01

View Postbarmar, on 2016-February-19, 10:01, said:

In a MI case there are two rulings required: first, what the NOS can do as soon as the MI comes to light (change their last call), and second, whether and how to adjust the result. Only the latter requires knowledge of the cards.

The first is so mechanical that I suppose you didn't consider it to be a "ruling". But technically it is.

Precisely.
And yes, I am fully aware of the technicality.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users