BBO Discussion Forums: Jec 6feb - bd 12, going furhter - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jec 6feb - bd 12, going furhter

Poll: Jec 6feb - bd 12, going furhter (4 member(s) have cast votes)

After 1c-2c, does W already have enough for 6c?

1. mostly (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. not quite (3 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

3. yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

what does w 2d show?

1. extra, gf (1 votes [25.00%])

2. neutral, showing d stopper (3 votes [75.00%])

what does e 3nt show?

1. extra, wrt to his previous 2c call (3 votes [75.00%])

2. mimimum, wrt to latest proceeding (assume already gf) (1 votes [25.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-February-08, 22:18

bd 12

1. After 1c-2c, does W already have enough for 6c?

2. 1c-2c-2d. what does w 2d show?
(a) some would take it showing extra? only 2nt/3c shows minimum. 2d establish a gf
(b) some play it neutral? merely showing stopper and a step towards 3nt. one could still stop at 2nt/3c/4c
ps i would prefer (a), not that i know what others typically play

3. 1c-2c-2d-3nt, what does e 3nt show?
(a) e 3nt is a further step refining his previous bid (2c). leaping to 3nt shows extra (wrt to previous 2c call)
(b) e 3nt is a further step refining the latest proceeding. assuming 2d establish a gf, e 3nt shows a minimum (wrt to latest proceedings)

4. aob?

#2 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-February-09, 04:55

On what hand! seems silly bid with room to explore. I play after a normal raise in a minor 1 to 2/3 bid if another suit asks for a stop with it bid nts.3nt shows flat hand 19pts, less with solid clubs of 6/7 I suppose. May be a bit of a gamble with a hand too strong for an opening 3nt (solid minor no more than a kng outside

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-February-09, 06:36

This whole discussion seems silly to me. Here's what happened: George didn't know whether your 2!c was inverted or not. I suppose even if he did know it was inverted, which he did not, he wouldn't be sure of the follow-ups. You really shd come online before game time and agree on the basic stuff with your pickup partner when playing a strong TM against experienced partnerships.

As long as you don't have agreements, even a minimum such as what is 1m - 2m, going into postmortems of a missed slam and ATBs is useless.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-February-09, 08:02

View Postsakuragi, on 2016-February-08, 22:18, said:

No.

If 2 is weak, as suggested by the lack of alert, then 2 is ostensibly a game try.
If 2 is inverted, as suggested by the hand, the meaning of 2 depends on agreements. With a pick-up I would expect it to show a stopper but that is almost certainly not optimal. I prefer to use it to show a balanced hand.

If 2 is weak, 3NT accepts the game try and shows something in the focus suits (which suit(s) depends on the type of game tries being used).
If 2 is inverted and 2 showed a stopper, 3NT shows ~13-15 and stops in both majors.
If 2 is inverted and 2 showed a balanced hand, 3NT places the contract opposite a weak NT.

4. aob?

Agreements are important. If you expect BBF to provide a meaningful discussion then you need to tell us what agreements were in place. If agreements are in place then you need to alert the opps. If no agreeements are in place, as appears to be the case here, then expect to wind up in the wrong spot often. Finally, framing the first question in a thread as (effectively) "Was my partner an idiot?" is generally not a great approach, whether to partnership harmony or to personal development.

Edit: apparently there are 2 threads for this board with different board numbers - why? Is this partnership misunderstanding really so important as to require 2 threads?
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-12, 15:39

HEHE after the game you admitted to me that inverted minors are off after interference. However by that time I had already seen hand 1 where you bid 2c with a 6 count after interference so I had no reason to assume you were suddenly playing inverted. This game is about how well partnerships can exchange information using a VERY limited vocabulary. Show up early and do not handicap your partnerships further by making your partner guess your intentions.

By hand 10 I was doing stuff like telling the opps (transfer I hope sigh) since we seemed to be all over the place. You played pretty well overall and our partners did great so we got within spitting range. JEC does not have a ton of patience for really simple errors in the bidding so don't ruin these matches for the rest of us by not being as well prepared as reasonably possible Happy Chinese New Year.

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-February-13, 20:48

(a) some would take it showing extra? only 2nt/3c shows minimum. 2d establish a gf
(b) some play it neutral? merely showing stopper and a step towards 3nt. one could still stop at 2nt/3c/4c
ps i would prefer (a), not that i know what others typically play
(a) e 3nt is a further step refining his previous bid (2c). leaping to 3nt shows extra (wrt to previous 2c call)
(b) e 3nt is a further step refining the latest proceeding. assuming 2d establish a gf, e 3nt shows a minimum (wrt to latest proceedings)
4. aob?
IMO
1. You don't have enough time to discuss systemic details, from scratch, with a pick-up partner, so you should agree to use a BBO standard system-card. Without discussion, however, most BBOers play inverted minor raises, so that is what you should assume. On that assumption, after the 2 reply, opener should be aware of slam possibilities.
2. Without discussion, after 1 - 2 -; ??
- 2// = INV. STOP in named suit.
- 2N = BAL. MIN.
- 3 = MIN with 4+ .
- 3// = SPL
- 3N = S/O.
3. After [1CL] - 2 -; 2 - ?? - 2N, 3C, and 3N = NAT N/F, Other bids = F1.
4. I play inverted minors in many partnerships but have few detailed agreements. FWIW, I like to play that after a 2 inverted minor raise,
- 2 = STOP ASK.
- 2/ = NAT 4+ cards.
- 2N/3/3N = NAT non-constructive.
- 3// = SPL.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users