Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB 2/1 Free Five of a Major Request to add Free Five M to GIB

#1 User is offline   DGrusen 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-February-04, 22:35

GIB does not seem to support free five of a major as explained in Root/Pavlicek, _Modern Bridge Conventions_. In my experience, their free five of a major definitions fill some holes in slam bidding that RKCB doesn't always cover successfully. I think BBO should consider adding these treatments to the system.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2016-February-05, 14:03

Gib jumps to or raises to 5 of a major all the time. I don't believe this is defined in the specs so impossible to say if it follows Root but I doubt it. Following a very old book I doubt will be looked upon favorably.

I find often these jumps by Gib to 5M are unnecessary and lacking values for a slam try.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-February-05, 14:14

GIB just uses 5 of the agreed major just as a trump quality inquiry. It doesn't know any of the other parts of the convention, like asking for control of the opponent's suit or the one unbid suit.

Programming when to use each of these kinds of inquiries in the bidding rules seems like it would be fairly difficult. Not to mention that I'll bet most human players aren't very familiar with this -- it's more of an expert standard thing.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users