• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Only 3+ Clubs?

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-February-04, 07:48

MP, Instant, 34.

North can perhaps be forgiven for passing throughout if he believes the explanation of South's 2H. But in what universe does 2H promise anything less than a 5 card Club suit here?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-04, 14:59

I don't think it's fair for any of us now to continually bash the original programmer, Mr. Ginsburg, for GIB's bidding faults, especially since he's not here to defend himself. But this is a very common problem with GIB explanations, so I think we know the answer to your question, and many, many others like it.

I had a huge 0355 hand recently. 1 opened 1D and the opponents had bid to 4S by the time it got back to me. I aggressively jumped to 6C and GIB passed with 5D and 2C!. Those who bid 5C were fortunate enough to get the preference. For the record 6D was nearly cold despite ZERO high cards in partner's hand.

#3 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-04, 17:23

Who mentioned Ginsberg. Its been plenty of time since BBO bought GIB to totally re-mediate it but never done.

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-06, 05:39

" Only 3+ clubs? ", yes, Gibs have no problem on it here since Gibs don't play walsh responding. Reverse 2 was not good, bidding 2 should be a good auction.
Sorry, IMO, I strongly think such discussing on such worse bidding sequences really have no practical significance.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-February-06, 07:41

View Postlycier, on 2016-February-06, 05:39, said:

" Only 3+ clubs? ", yes, Gibs have no problem on it here since Gibs don't play walsh responding. Reverse 2 was not good, bidding 2 should be a good auction.
Sorry, IMO, I strongly think such discussing on such worse bidding sequences really have no practical significance.

If 2H was not good bidding, please post a hand suitable for 2H
And I mean in real life, not in GIB. Given that the purpose of the OP was to criticise GIB, we should not be using GIB treatment as the yardstick against which to measure what is sensible.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2016-February-06, 11:01

View Postlycier, on 2016-February-06, 05:39, said:

" Only 3+ clubs? ", yes, Gibs have no problem on it here since Gibs don't play walsh responding. Reverse 2 was not good, bidding 2 should be a good auction. Sorry, IMO, I strongly think such discussing on such worse bidding sequences really have no practical significance.

(1) Does Walsh have anything to do with this auction? (2) This is how I would have posted the question...

MP, Instant, 34.

On this auction, shouldn't North expect South to have 5+ clubs and 4+ hearts? Having already passed twice, isn't he worth a 3 bid over 2?

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-February-06, 23:20

I don't see a material difference between the presentations, other than that my post invited the "distraction" of criticism of my 2H bid to which I have no objection, as on this occasion I am content that my bid was straight down the middle standard, along with the meaning that I, if not GIB, assigned to it.

I invited Lycier to post a hand which he considers appropriate for 2H. I am still waiting.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-June-19, 01:16

Still waiting.

#9 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-21, 14:54

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-June-19, 01:16, said:

Still waiting.

Of course you were right that 2H showed longer Clubs. I don't see that Walsh, played or not, has anything to do with it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users