• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to discourage

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-February-02, 15:03

MP, 34, Instant

Notwithstanding that 6D is a good spot, I was curious about GIB's explanation of South's 3N bid. Sadly I do not have a screencap of all of South's options over the double.

Although non-standard, it is my general observation of GIB's bidding system that when partner is guaranteed another bid, the weakest bid that you can make (in front of partner) is Pass, and any other (immediate) action in front of partner tends to show extras, whether in values or distribution.

Mind you, I could well have had the 16 HCP promised and yet not had the controls for slam. I thought it odd that North did not at least roll out RKCB. Personally I would start with 2H where North here bid 2S.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-02, 17:26

I agree about bidding 2H the first time, but at least 3H did show some length (4+) in the suit. But we can all agree that the description of 3NT is bizarre. It says "4-" for Hearts, but if 3H showed 4, why wouldn't you raise with 4? And probably more importantly, 3H is forcing, so how can 3NT show extras? Fortunately, you had the perfect fitting minimum.

I feel so much better about this sort of discussion now that it has been acknowledged that GIB's original programmer didn't possess expert level bidding knowledge. We just accept it and await improvements.

#3 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-03, 07:15

Today I would spare some time to research this hand, however I found it is not a easy matter.

First, 2 would be better than 2, but after following bidding 2, you have to know how to bid next.

Now,how to bid next?
1- 3 ? It is a incorrect description for sure.

2- 3 is not forcing,

3- 3? It could work ?

4- Jump 4?

5- Jump 4?

6- 5?

Now,how to discourage? the best solution would be :

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-03, 07:29

If cuebid 2 at first, my basic robot would play :

Obviously,after double, south would better rebid 2nt instead of passing.
So I have to say that it is necessary for us to learn Gib CC and play it correctly.

Searching for your own mistakes is a better way to study Gib game.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users