BBO Discussion Forums: what to bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what to bid

Poll: poll (1 member(s) have cast votes)

what will you bid

1. dbl (1 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. 4NT (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   tsankaR 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-February-01, 07:40

A
void
AKQ9xx
AKTxxx

KJxxx
Ax
Tx
Qxxxx

dealer south, west is void in

bidding is 1S-4h[west]. how to continue? should north dbl? is 4NT by north now ace asking or tell p to bid minors. 7c by south makes. 7c by north may make.

Sankar

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-February-01, 08:56

14 cards hard to analyze for the sake of this hand I am assuming only 4 clubs (which means I will get a lot of hate mail later on sigh after I have guessed wrong).

Preempts work. IMHO 4n is too important a slam search device for our most probable slam (spades) to give up for the far less likely 2 independent minor suit hands. We are not powerless in the face of this barrage as long as we are playing neg x. I personally play my neg x through 5s (I have read many like to play through 7s) so x here is designed to show the minors and they have to be pretty darn good to force opener to choose at the 5 level.

Openers hand has a lot to hate about it but that huge club fit is anything but terrible and the heart A looks like a superb card. With the spade KJ maybe being reduced to nothing opener's hand looks more like xxxxx Ax xx Qxxx. This is not the kind of (opening bid) we are proud of and therefore a simple 5c preference is called for.

responder has a monster hand but faces a problem in that the simple preference bid does not even promise support (opener could have 1/2 in the minors) yet even opposite that kind of support 6c still looks like a pretty good bet so the question becomes, is there any thing we can do to search for 7? 5N here (gsf) allows us to get to a grand if opener has as little as Qx in clubs so that seems to be the way to go and on this day Qxxx is enough to bid 7c). On another day would xxxx be enough (see preempts work)? Anyway 6h by responder shows the heart A and 6n would have shown both major suit aces in case n was right) 7c by opener settles the issue

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-01, 09:10

View Postgszes, on 2016-February-01, 08:56, said:

14 cards hard to analyze

I has been corrected in the duplicate thread gsz, so probably best to let this one die and reply there instead.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-01, 09:20

the opening hands are different and possibly continuing this thread can be useful as the approaches are different (just a thought) you can always just delete this post if you do not care:)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users