BBO Discussion Forums: Please don't cut-off players who are almost finished. - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Please don't cut-off players who are almost finished.

#1 User is offline   bluff10 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-29, 08:38

Playing Robot Tournaments, its very annoying when I get 'timed-out' with just 1 or 2 tricks left to go. Today I was playing #3735 and literally had clicked the CLAIM button on the last hand when it timed-out and gave me an average. So that meant I got zero for the entire session. I missed by less than 1 second. Surely the software should be able to detect activity - i.e. if cards are being played every few seconds - and estimate proximity to being finished, and thus be able to give a bit more time in situations that appear warranted. Maybe you could warn people with a buzzer and/or a notice that says "Session Ending Soon", or some such thing.

[ BTW the Robots occasionally get 'stuck' and take a long time, i.e. 20-40 seconds,...I never had this problem in past years; it may be due to band-width issues at my end, I don't know, but it makes it harder to finish 'on time'. Can your software track these 'robot delays' and add back time accordingly? ]

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-29, 23:13

If the posted rules state that you have 30 minutes to complete 8 boards, how much additional time do you think is reasonable to give players to finish if it appears that they are progressing? I'm sure some players would argue that they are moving right along when they hit the 30 minute time limit during the auction of Board 8.

I do agree that something like 30 and 15 second warnings would be a good addition, similar to the warnings in the Express Automated Fun games.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-January-31, 00:01

View PostBbradley62, on 2016-January-29, 23:13, said:

If the posted rules state that you have 30 minutes to complete 8 boards, how much additional time do you think is reasonable to give players to finish if it appears that they are progressing?

I thnk he's just asking for a few seconds, not minutes.

#4 User is offline   bluff10 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-January-31, 18:45

I always thought 30 minutes was a 'guide' on how long it should take rather than a hard and fast 'rule'. When you are playing at the NABCs or Regionals or your local Club, they give everyone time to finish even if they go slightly over the 'time clock'.

BBO can 'see' where everyone stands, and if cards are being played cut a little slack, especially since the robots 'thinking' causes some of the delays. If nothing happens at any table for say 15 seconds then end it.

Finally if it is a 'rule' that you must finish in 30 minutes, then I think there should be a "TIIME CLOCK" on the screen showing 'time remaining' [this would be much better than a 15 or 30 second warning].

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-February-01, 10:39

View Postbluff10, on 2016-January-31, 18:45, said:

Finally if it is a 'rule' that you must finish in 30 minutes, then I think there should be a "TIIME CLOCK" on the screen showing 'time remaining' [this would be much better than a 15 or 30 second warning].

At the bottom left of the playing area is a box that says:

Score: ##% (or ## IMPs)
Clock: ##

It only has minute precision, so there's no warning in the last few seconds.

#6 User is offline   bluff10 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-February-01, 18:38

View Postbarmar, on 2016-February-01, 10:39, said:

At the bottom left of the playing area is a box that says:

Score: ##% (or ## IMPs)
Clock: ##

It only has minute precision, so there's no warning in the last few seconds.

I had never noticed that clock before. Is it something new?
I think it would be better if it had had minutes and seconds ticking, because that would draw attention to it visually.
Clock: ##.##
Calling it "TIME LEFT" might also be better. Making it bigger would also be better. Having it flash when the minutes change might also draw attention.

Thanks for bringing the clock to my attention. Its a big help even the way it is now (once you know its there).

p.s. The other 2 number are redundant as you already get that info from the scoring table. Why are they there? Remove them and make TIME LEFT bigger.

#7 User is offline   bluff10 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-February-01, 18:53

View Postbarmar, on 2016-January-31, 00:01, said:

I thnk he's just asking for a few seconds, not minutes.

To answer your question 'how much extra time do I think is needed', I think anyone who has started playing the last hand should be given time to finish provided they are playing cards at least every 15 seconds.
[Note: Why 15 seconds - because we are 'guided' at 30 minutes to play 8x13 = 104 tricks, which works out to 17.3 seconds per trick on average.]

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2016-February-01, 23:23

View Postbluff10, on 2016-February-01, 18:53, said:

[Note: Why 15 seconds - because we are 'guided' at 30 minutes to play 8x13 = 104 tricks, which works out to 17.3 seconds per trick on average.]

I suspect that a significant part of the 30 minutes should be budgeted to auctions, leaving less for the play of 104 tricks.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-February-02, 10:23

View Postbluff10, on 2016-February-01, 18:38, said:

I had never noticed that clock before. Is it something new?

No, it's been there for ages. In human tourneys it shows the time left in the round, rather than the whole tourney.

I think it would be better if it had had minutes and seconds ticking, because that would draw attention to it visually.

Maybe, but perhaps the constant updating would be distracting.

p.s. The other 2 number are redundant as you already get that info from the scoring table. Why are they there? Remove them and make TIME LEFT bigger.

You don't get the rank from the score table. And some people may prefer not to have the scores showing. In the web app you can show "Who's Online" instead, and in the mobile app you have to choose between showing scores and showing chat.

#10 User is offline   bluff10 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-February-02, 11:42

View Postbarmar, on 2016-February-02, 10:23, said:

No, it's been there for ages. In human tourneys it shows the time left in the round, rather than the whole tourney.

Maybe, but perhaps the constant updating would be distracting.

You don't get the rank from the score table. And some people may prefer not to have the scores showing. In the web app you can show "Who's Online" instead, and in the mobile app you have to choose between showing scores and showing chat.

All good points, although don't agree with the distracting point....its so small to begin with, plus I want players to be aware of it constantly as they play. Flashing it a few times each minute when it changes might accomplish what I want.

Here's another suggestion. Since I was not aware of the 'clock', or of any exacting time constraints, possibly many others aren't either. You have a standard warning message that tells players they are to play the hand when robot partner is declarer. You could add to that warning that "you have xx minutes to complete the tournament, see the 'Clock" at bottom left".

Finally I still hope you will give a grace period for players who have finished bidding are playing the last hand, so long as cards are moving say every 10 seconds. This is not a Speed-Ball contest.

#11 User is offline   bluff10 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-February-02, 11:47

View PostBbradley62, on 2016-February-01, 23:23, said:

I suspect that a significant part of the 30 minutes should be budgeted to auctions, leaving less for the play of 104 tricks.

You are correct, my oversight. So lets says 90 second/hand for the auction. That leaves 18 minutes x 60 = 1080 seconds = 10.4 seconds per trick.

#12 User is offline   bluff10 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-February-03, 09:53

View Postbluff10, on 2016-February-02, 11:42, said:

All good points, although don't agree with the distracting point....its so small to begin with, plus I want players to be aware of it constantly as they play. Flashing it a few times each minute when it changes might accomplish what I want.

Here's another suggestion. Since I was not aware of the 'clock', or of any exacting time constraints, possibly many others aren't either. You have a standard warning message that tells players they are to play the hand when robot partner is declarer. You could add to that warning that "you have xx minutes to complete the tournament, see the 'Clock" at bottom left".

Finally I still hope you will give a grace period for players who have finished bidding are playing the last hand, so long as cards are moving say every 10 seconds. This is not a Speed-Ball contest.

One final suggestion that would be easier for BBO to program. If at the end of the allotted time one or more players are still playing the last hand, then automatically extend the time until all are finished, or (pick a number)for say 60 seconds maximum, whichever comes first.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-February-03, 10:17

I wonder if the people running into the time limit are not aware that you can claim when you're declaring and you're on lead. I probably claim by trick 8 or 9 on at least 50% of hands.

The only times I ever even come close to the time limit is if I get interrupted for 10 minutes.

#14 User is offline   bluff10 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-February-03, 18:01

View Postbarmar, on 2016-February-03, 10:17, said:

I wonder if the people running into the time limit are not aware that you can claim when you're declaring and you're on lead. I probably claim by trick 8 or 9 on at least 50% of hands.

The only times I ever even come close to the time limit is if I get interrupted for 10 minutes.

Good point. I wonder if the 'Claim' button should be mentioned in addition to the 'Clock" in the stock write-up about playing the hand when you are dummy.

Remember though I sometime run out of time when the Robots are taking too much time 'thinking'. Another player told me she noticed recently long pauses caused by the Robots, so its not just my system or internet band width.

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-February-04, 10:52

View Postbluff10, on 2016-February-03, 18:01, said:

Good point. I wonder if the 'Claim' button should be mentioned in addition to the 'Clock" in the stock write-up about playing the hand when you are dummy.

Remember though I sometime run out of time when the Robots are taking too much time 'thinking'. Another player told me she noticed recently long pauses caused by the Robots, so its not just my system or internet band width.

I've never noticed the robots taking more than a couple of seconds to think.

But once in a while the robots do get stuck. This is a known problem that we've not been able to fix. But I play about a half dozen robot tourneys a day, and I hardly ever see this (the only problem I have is that I play often from unstable public WiFi hotspots, and the mobile app isn't good at dealing with temporary network slowness, so I have to restart the app when it gets stuck).

#16 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-February-04, 11:53

Play in the NABC Fast Pairs sometime and you will be more aware of the time. Otherwise not much to add.

A nice feature would be a countdown showing seconds when the clock gets under two or one minutes. This could be useful when ACBL tourneys start too.

Very opposed to a 'grace period'. Bridge is a timed event.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#17 User is offline   bluff10 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-February-05, 11:21

View PostPhil, on 2016-February-04, 11:53, said:

Play in the NABC Fast Pairs sometime and you will be more aware of the time. Otherwise not much to add.

A nice feature would be a countdown showing seconds when the clock gets under two or one minutes. This could be useful when ACBL tourneys start too.

Very opposed to a 'grace period'. Bridge is a timed event.

Agree with your countdown suggestion in final 2minutes. That would help (especially if they can make the Clock more prominent as well).

Regarding your other comments, I won't play in ACBL Fast Pairs, Speed-Ball, or the BBO Robot Races. Its not good bridge, its something else (gambling, guessing, luck, chuckles).
In any tournament or team game I play in at all levels it is common practice to give everyone time to finish any board that's been started. If you are late repeatedly they might take away 1 board and give you an 'average', or at the club level they sometimes give a "Late Play". Either way you don't get disqualified and a zero result for the entire session.

The older you get the slower your brain....lets have a civilized, friendly game and give a modest grace period. The BBO software knows when everyone is finished because they sometimes stop the Clock and post results well ahead of the Clock time running out. So obviously they can 'see' if people are playing, and it should be easy to determine if anyone is playing the last hand. If nobody is yet playing the last hand, then end it immediately.

#18 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-February-05, 14:07

I know clubs that average too, but there you've an orchestrated movement and a late pair has a cascading effect on the rest of the section.

Averaging isn't a good idea for robodoops. If I'm rolling an 80% with three boards I can just stand pat with averages and still win.

Bluff, the answer to your dilemma is an Instant Tournament. You get the outcome of a robodoop, but there's no time pressure.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-February-05, 14:08

A big difference between robot bridge and human bridge is that there's only one human at the table, which should speed things up significantly. In a f2f tournament, you need to allow time for the players to sort their hands, all of them to think about their bids and plays, agree on the result, and there will also often be some post mortem discussion. In robot games, none of that happens except for one player thinking (although instead of a post mortem discussion, I'll sometimes look at the results at the other tables). f2f tournaments generally allow 7 minutes per board; with all those time savings, 5 minutes/board seems like it should be more than enough even for a slow player.

And the 8-board non-ACBL robot duplicates allow more than 7 minutes/board -- practically glacial for online bridge.

#20 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2016-February-05, 20:05

View Postbarmar, on 2016-February-05, 14:08, said:

And the 8-board non-ACBL robot duplicates allow more than 7 minutes/board -- practically glacial for online bridge.

It appears to me, and clearly to OP, that 8-board robot dupes get 30 minutes (3.75 minutes per board), not 60 minutes (7.5 per). What are we missing?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users