• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How 2 Squeeze?

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-January-26, 16:25

1) Would you have done anything differently in the first 5 tricks?

2) What's your plan from here?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-26, 17:17

I'll cash the 2 clubs now and 2 hearts ending in dummy. We will improve our count and become more likely to have a full count (possibly ambiguity being West could be 1264 or 2263) The worst case* scenario is East started 4414 or 4513 and will need to guess whether to finesse the spades after cashing the ace of diamonds going several down if it loses to Qx. If East is known to have started with 5 spades, then the finesse will be 100%.

*that we can still make the hand, if West started with Qxx(x) in spades, we were never making it.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2016-January-27, 12:13

No at trick four is needed to retain 10. Why ? In this" particolar "situation (because is rare and difficult to manage as ending) we had to develop another trick if don't want to try a repet squeeze, if it is. Another solution is to consider that "all four suits are involved" and we can solve getting at an ending of squeeze of this type (there are five groups). One of this ending is, although of a type that i call as "equivalent form" considering that a menace where there is an impasse situation must be favoureble(=upper) positioned ( having already rectify the count and playing for a direct squeeze) (as in diamond and spade -5 discart from a long suit). Than ok for A and K in heart but one club only must be cashed and when end in dummy after it, leadin spade squeeze W for an "Asymmetric Satured Squeeze": http://post.queensu....asymmetric.html

This post has been edited by Lovera: 2016-January-28, 07:11

#4 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-27, 14:29

It took me a bit, but I see the line Lovera recommends. Question 1 was a hint that maybe we should hold off on the diamond and I considered it but it still took a while.
I'll list the play as i see it, maybe I still misunderstand.

Tricks 4-6
First three tricks go as shown, D to K heat duck, club to ace.
Cash one top spade and thwo top hearts ending on the board.

If hearts started out as 3-3 we are in fne shape since W has at most three clubs. Cash a top spade and if the Q is still out place it with E, hook the D, squeeze E in the blacks.

OK, suppose on the third hear W shows out, pitching a diamond. This is where I understand the L line to show its strength.

We now need the spade hook so take it. We assume that it wins.

If W follows to this second spade we again have seen that he has at most three clubs, we cash a spade, hook the D etc.
If W does not follow to the second spade then he started out as 1=2=6=4 and we cash the third spade to squeeze W in the minors.

At least that is what I got out of Lovera's post. Feel free to tell me I misunderstood.
Ken

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-27, 15:19

We are up to 10 tricks and with it looking like lho began life with 5/6 diamonds the spade finesse seems well above that mere 50% it began the hand with and if it works we are up to 11 tricks and if it fails at the worst we have rectified the count for a squeeze.
trick 2 spade A (assuming the Q does not fall) if lho began with 4 spades rho is squeezed in hearts clubs (unless lho was 4360 4351).
trick 3 club to A
trick 4 spade toward the J. If it holds
trick 5 heart toward the 8 rectifing count for squeeze dia 2 behind lho spade 7 behind rho (or 33 spades) noone can guard hearts or spdes 33. no entry problems and we will almost always know how to play hand when we cash the spades.

The main difference btn the 2 approaches is that this one does not go down if we take a losing spade finesse (at least not right away that is) and if we rectify the count by losing a spade we do not need to further rectify the count by losing a heart.

The temptation to play

Trick 2 spade A
Trick 3 spade K
trick 4 clus to A
trick 5 spade to J

looms large but hating the idea of going down to lho 4s to the Q when adopting the above will accommodate that holding and many more

#6 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2016-January-27, 15:29

It should be so because in this type of squeeze each unilateral act, turning, on all suits retained by the opp then the diamond winners squeeze E in spade and the remaining suits.(Lovera)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users