BBO Discussion Forums: Law 27B after an attempted transfer - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Law 27B after an attempted transfer

#1 User is offline   timjand 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-26, 03:51

Just checking my understanding of the rules (EBU club in the UK).

Bidding: 1NT - p - 2D* - 2S - 2H

2D is announced as a transfer. E, who opened 1NT, says he did not see the 2S from N.

If the insufficient bid is not accepted by S, is it OK to replace 2H with 3H without any bidding restriction on W?

3H has a more precise meaning, since 2H is automatic and means nothing.

However it is useful to W who now knows E can tolerate hearts. W bids 4H which makes.

Most other tables bid successfully to 4H.

Tim

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-26, 06:44

While the 3 bid is more precise in that it confirms a heart fit, the attempted 2 bid showed that the hand was not considered a super-accept. So I think it is close.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-26, 07:45

View PostVampyr, on 2016-January-26, 06:44, said:

While the 3 bid is more precise in that it confirms a heart fit, the attempted 2 bid showed that the hand was not considered a super-accept. So I think it is close.

Not according to Timjand, who said that 2 is an automatic response to the transfer, so presumably they are not playing "super-accepts".

#4 User is offline   timjand 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-January-26, 08:02

View PostVixTD, on 2016-January-26, 07:45, said:

Not according to Timjand, who said that 2 is an automatic response to the transfer, so presumably they are not playing "super-accepts".

It would be helpful to consider both cases.

Tim

#5 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2016-January-26, 08:54

View Posttimjand, on 2016-January-26, 08:02, said:

It would be helpful to consider both cases.

If the partnership agreement and partnership experience is that 2 is the only response to 2 then it appears that any legal call (including double) is allowed by Law 27B1(b) and does not silence partner.

If, by agreement or experience, opener may rebid above 2 with a fit for hearts, then the insufficient 2 excludes many of the hands the might correct to 3, so 3 is not a Law 27B1(b) correction; but Pass seems to have much the same meaning as 2 and would not silence partner.

In either case, is 2 artificial? I would rule that 2 is (incontrovertibly) not artificial. So 3 is allowed by Law 27B1(a) and does not silence partner.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-January-26, 10:05

View PostVixTD, on 2016-January-26, 07:45, said:

I'll bet quite a bit that whoever declared the bid "automatic" didn't even think about that exception. While it's certainly possible that the pair doesn't play them, I don't think we can necessarily assume that from the formulation of the original question.

#7 User is offline   timjand 

• PipPip

Posted 2016-January-27, 02:15

Thanks, this has been a helpful discussion.

Tim

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users