BBO Discussion Forums: what is this double? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what is this double?

Poll: what is this double? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

What kind of double is this?

1. penalty (27 votes [77.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 77.14%

2. negative (interest in remaining suits) (8 votes [22.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

3. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-January-25, 16:13

Thing here is that east had a way to bid his hand without the double, but had he held QJ10987, 73 AK, KJ5 he could not have bid it without the double.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#22 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-26, 06:44

Absent discussion, the double is penalty (if we haven't discussed it, it's as natural as possible').

#23 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-31, 21:53

jodepp, on 2016-January-26, 06:44, said:

Absent discussion, the double is penalty (if we haven't discussed it, it's as natural as possible').

Opposite when it comes to doubles at 1 or 2 level.
It is a VERY short list and much easier to discuss doubles that are penalty at 1-2 level. Thus, if not agreed to be penalty it should be take out imo.
Unless of course you want to torture yourself with agreeing on doubles that are take-out at 1-2 level. Good luck with that.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#24 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-01, 06:55

hrothgar, on 2016-January-25, 10:28, said:

Even if I had a meta agreement that all unusual doubles are for take out, I would interpret this as penalty since this is so very very standard

If my partner is under 40 and I have that meta agreement, t/o. If partner is over 40 and I have that meta agreement, penalty. If no meta agreement I would need partner to be under 25 or under 30 and european to assume takeout :P

In all seriousness this is just one you need to discuss with a new partner (as well as 1S p p X 2S X).
The artist formerly known as jlall

#25 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-01, 07:02

Does this mean you personally prefer takeout for both of these auctions, Justin?
(-: Zel :-)

#26 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-February-01, 07:24

Caitlynne, on 2016-January-25, 08:30, said:

East had a chance to make a takeout Double of spades at his/her first turn to call and did not. This is UNEQUIVOCALLY a penalty double in the absence of a VERY RARE yet clearly discussed partnership agreement otherwise.

Penalty is the traditional meaning, but I am sure I am not the only one who has found that some people are not aware of the traditional meaning of bids. Especially if they have been playing for, say, ten years or less.

Similarly, in their live playing environment there may be a call that "everyone" plays in a non-standard or non-traditional way. A player may assume that this way is totally normal and universal.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#27 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-February-01, 08:28

Vampyr, on 2016-February-01, 07:24, said:

Similarly, in their live playing environment there may be a call that "everyone" plays in a non-standard or non-traditional way. A player may assume that this way is totally normal and universal.

Good exanples are 1NT - (P) - 2 or 1 - (P) - 4, both traditionally weak and natural but usually played differently these days.

Incidentally the traditional rules for doubles during the later were laid down by Culbertson back in the 1930s - this one comes under the "penalty if we had a previous chance to double the denomination" rule. But absolutely noone uses them any more so they are meaningless and the test you quoted an obvious overbid.

#28 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-01, 08:32

I say penalty on this one. Agree with hrothgar and others that 2NT is the scramble here.

However, doubling two of a major is iffy business. You rarely set sane opponents very much, and it is pretty ugly should they happen to make it. I would want to be pretty sure of partner's intention to leave this in.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#29 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-01, 09:52

Zelandakh, on 2016-February-01, 07:02, said:

Does this mean you personally prefer takeout for both of these auctions, Justin?

Yeah that is my preference
The artist formerly known as jlall

#30 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-February-01, 10:07

PhantomSac, on 2016-February-01, 06:55, said:

If my partner is under 40 and I have that meta agreement, t/o. If partner is over 40 and I have that meta agreement, penalty. If no meta agreement I would need partner to be under 25 or under 30 and european to assume takeout :P

In all seriousness this is just one you need to discuss with a new partner (as well as 1S p p X 2S X).

I will now put my age in my bbo profile. This could clear up many auctions.
Ken

#31 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-February-01, 15:49

PhantomSac, on 2016-February-01, 09:52, said:

Yeah that is my preference

Thank you, that is actually very useful to know, particularly with hrothgar (who is usually an excellent guide to good bidding agreements) on the opposite side. It fits with what I perceive as the modern bidding style but these auctions are such that there are enough reasons to doubt whether real experts play it like that.

#32 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-02, 04:38

While we are on the subject, what about this one 1 P P X; 2 X?

I have one partner who has the clear agreement that this auction, like the other two discussed in this thread, shows a penalty double of spades. Of course, 4th hand can leave it in if he has good hearts for his TO X....

#33 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-02, 05:19

It probably depends a lot which opponents you are facing. Strong players will have a 7-card spades here, so you are rarely getting rich by penalizing. At my local club where many 4-card majorites think they have a duty to bid any 5-card suit twice, it is obviously better to play penalty or at least optional.

But of course it is more interesting to discuss what it should mean against sane opps.

It also depends on your overcall style. If you adhere to Ulven's philosophy, most hands suitable for a take-out double would have overcalled directly, so it is probably better to play double as either optional (3244 typically) or pure penalty.

With my prefered meta-agreements this is take-out but I think penalty is standard. If I were to make specific agreements for this situation I would not be sure what to prefer.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#34 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-February-02, 11:16

Zelandakh, on 2016-February-01, 15:49, said:

Thank you, that is actually very useful to know, particularly with hrothgar (who is usually an excellent guide to good bidding agreements) on the opposite side. It fits with what I perceive as the modern bidding style but these auctions are such that there are enough reasons to doubt whether real experts play it like that.

There is no room for doubt. Just ask Caitlynne :D
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users