• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tough slam to find

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-January-22, 16:58

As you can see slam is pretty good, but I think it can't be found with simple natural methods (taking suggestions though). Can you find it with your favorite system?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-January-22, 17:48

Opener can count to 11 if diamonds are not unlucky 2-2. I think he should make another move after 4S. 5D really makes Responder's hand grow up.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-January-22, 17:51

No guarantee 4 isn't a singleton.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-22, 17:55

Woolsey-style Precision:

1-1
1-2
3-4

1 = 16+
1 = 0-7
1 = 4+ spades unbalanced, may have longer minor, forcing.
2 = 5-7, exactly 3 spades.
3 = Agrees spades, forcing to game.
4 = Qbid.
6 = Slam has to be good, grand not possible barring miracles.

#5 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2016-January-22, 18:43

View Postmgoetze, on 2016-January-22, 17:51, said:

No guarantee 4 isn't a singleton.

2C-2D
2S-4D

Responder doesn't have a singleton.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#6 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-22, 19:09

I agree this is a tough slam. I think east bid fine.

West might try 5d over 4s but tough, not easy but I feel west has just enough extras to justify 5d....tougher at the table. granted I make the assumption that 4d was NOT shortness and 2d promised a random ace or king and 3s promised something more..a lot of assumptions

#7 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-22, 19:38

1 (1)....1 (2)
2 (3)....2 (4)
2 (3)...3 (5)
3 (3)...3 (6)
3 (7)....4 (8)
4 (9)...4 (10)

1: 16+ any
2: Balanced without 4 OR 5+
3: Relay
4: Balanced hand
5: 4-4 minors
6: 3=2=4=4
7: QP ask (A=3, K=2, Q=1)
8: 3 QPs; at this point we know holding must be KQ / KQ or A
9: Parity Scan
10: Odd honour parity; A and nothing else per force

Note that we could have found out the J before reaching 6 as well, but shooting for 7 seems rather excessive on this hand.

#8 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-January-22, 20:10

2-2 (canapé preempt in S / Rule of 31+, 5+ S, unbal. // P/C)
2N-3 (Rule of 31+, either 5S4H, 6+S4+H, or 1-suited w/ 6+ S // relay)
3-3 (1-suited // relay, usually 2+ S)
3-3N (short C or 6(32)2 // relay)
4-4 (6(32)2 // relay)
4-4N (6322 // RKC(S))
5-5 (1 or 4 key cards // SQ ask)
5-5N (SQ, no HK // CK ask (now hoping for AKQxxx-Axx-KQ-AK))
6-6 (no CK // to play)
P

Not particularly elegant, but it helps to know that Opener has 6+ S and that he could not have a weaker hand, point-wise, for his bidding up to and including 4.

(I've stolen the '(--- // ---)' notation from Fluffy.)

#9 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-23, 11:22

no blame for west. can't pinpoint jt of diamonds. even opposite ajxx slam's marginal without the doubleton heart (would need to cross on 3rd round of spades).

east might well have another go on general hand quality, but that depends how traditional you are with your 2c openers. i believe in 2c showing good play for game opposite xxx xxx xxx xxx and a useless 13th card (the west hand qualifies but only by a small margin - 9 tricks for 3nt).

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-23, 13:55

Homegrown read and use at your own peril. I have always been irritated no mechanism was in place to discover responder "length" in these auctions. Cue bidding has always been important and splinter (by opener) loses a lot of its accuracy when there is even a 5 card suit around much less a 6 card suit. So I chose 3n to mean P I have all side suits controlled (and I am slammish) do you have any 4+ card suits (with at least one of top 3 honors)? Note that an unlimited responder might be able to take control of the bidding just knowing that much about openers hand. It is not a cure all but vastly increases the number of hands that can be bid accurately with little/no risk and not too much to memorize. I realize opener may have a second suit but it is far more likely responder will have one than opener. Opener's inquiries begin with suit quality (until repsonder's quality is known) and followed by length. If opener skips a step then they are interested in length alone.

responder bids the appropriate suit. This hand would be bid as follows (after 3s):
3N I have all side suits controlled do you have any 1+or 2 top 3 honor side suits with 4+ cards?
4d I have 4+ dia with at least 1 of the top 3 honors (we have bypassed clubs since no honors)
4h suit quality?
5h 2 of top 3 with JT
5n how many diamonds
6c 4 note that opener can not now bid 6d as that is to play
6h A form of last train asking if responder has an unshown side K to bid 7, there will not always be room to make this bid but it must be used if 6n seems a sure thing. Failure to use it (when available) means 6n is something of a gamble.
6s I have nothing special
6n
pass when last train was not available opener should only bid 6n (vs a suit contract) when they feel it will be cold for 12 tricks responder can still bid 7 if they have an undisclosed side K.

*note that in all cases opener steps must not rebid their agreed trump suit (this is construed as a sign off) while responder should be ok with it (unless they want to take control)
responder steps are as follows and remember responder has already promised at least 1 of top 3 honors and opener has at least 1 (controls in all side suits)
1st = no extra
next step by opener asks about JT
neither
T no J
J no T
JT
2nd = 2 of top 3 No J or T
3rd = 2 of top 3 T no J
4th = 2 of top 3 J no T
5th = JT

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-25, 07:10

I am with Ken and think 5 over 4 gives an excellent description of the West hand. Also your descriptions of 2 and 4 are incomplete and have some bearing.

Finally, to nullve, I would suggest you not use 3NT as a relay, particularly in an auction with no guaranteed fit. It is also easy to rearrange a couple of cards to give a similar auction to a hopeless slam so I am not convinced this is an improvement over natural. I suspect the Moscito and IMPrecision auctions would be a lot better here (my system's auction is similar to natural except that Responder's strength is slightly more accurately known).
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#12 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-January-25, 08:17

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-January-25, 07:10, said:

Finally, to nullve, I would suggest you not use 3NT as a relay, particularly in an auction with no guaranteed fit.

Yes. So 3 guarantees a fit unless Responder is strong enough to deal with the consequences of not having one.

It is also easy to rearrange a couple of cards to give a similar auction to a hopeless slam so I am not convinced this is an improvement over natural.

I also think that a regular partnership playing standard should be able be able to bid the slam with some confidence.

I suspect the Moscito and IMPrecision auctions would be a lot better here (my system's auction is similar to natural except that Responder's strength is slightly more accurately known).

My system is less ambitious than these on slam deals.

#13 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-26, 11:01

View Postkenrexford, on 2016-January-22, 18:43, said:

2C-2D
2S-4D

Responder doesn't have a singleton.

What does responder do over 2 with eg xxx KQxxx x Kxxx?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#14 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2016-January-26, 11:41

View PostJinksy, on 2016-January-26, 11:01, said:

What does responder do over 2 with eg xxx KQxxx x Kxxx?

If you don't splinter, and then bid 4 over 4, and then hear 4 from partner, you don't bid 4 to play.

-P.J. Painter.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users