• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB missed slam

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-22, 05:12

NS play precision-style, 14-16 NT, 1M is 11-15, 5+ cards unless 4M5C. Non-expert opps.

3D is not forcing.

What would you do differently as either North or South to reach the cold grand slam?

Thanks,

ahydra

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-January-22, 07:13

would 3s by North have been NF? If so then I put a lot of the blame to the methods, but maybe south can volunteer a 5c cue - he has a pretty good hand if 4s is showing extras
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-22, 08:38

View Posteagles123, on 2016-January-22, 07:13, said:

would 3s by North have been NF? If so then I put a lot of the blame to the methods, but maybe south can volunteer a 5c cue - he has a pretty good hand if 4s is showing extras

5 is mandatory and sign off in 5 if partner doesn't bid 5. Could be wrong though, what does partner do with KJ10xxxxx, x, Jx, AK.

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-January-22, 09:01

What the heck is North thinking? 17 HCP, a 5-loser hand which requires the spade to not come in to only be 5 losers, and an unvalued critical heart Queen in the LTC, three covers for partner's suits, a self-playing spade suit, and 2...4 is the call?

If I was pushed into a completely natural call with the North hand, I would try 5.

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-22, 12:24

+1 with Ken. North has a powerhouse, almost self-sufficent S and fitting honors with partners' suits. All he is worried about is the C suit and 5S should do it (well, you could be 2 aces off if partner has KQ of C and no HA). System does not seem to help, though.

Maybe S could hide this ratty D suit when he has such a good H suit and a good tolerance for S. Rebidding 3H (6-cd suit) might then motivate N to cue?

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-26, 09:48

I still like strong jump shifts

1h
2c
3s at least 6 spades max loser suit (this is trumps)
3n spade honor should be no loser suit now
4d cue
5c splinter main difference btn splinter and a cue bid is that the cue bid would show the club A or K thus bidding 4h (even if considered last train) would show the club A or K
6s only the worst of dog openings will fail to make 6 here
7s void extra spade and pretty good heart suit for extras

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users