• Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2016-January-22, 01:09

This came up on my iBridgeBaron

Teams, W v W, Playing 2/1.

AT96 K6 K2 AK876

P (P) ?

When I was dealt this hand I thought:

Seems a bit strong for 1NT with Aces and Kings but it is pre-emptive and bidding NT first protects the Kings.

Reversing is an option and this gets the strength and distribution across, but lets ops in and a NT contract could be wrong sided.

What's your choice, or do you have another bid?

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-22, 01:52

Just too strong in my view. Change the K to T and I would upgrade the 14 count to open a 15-17 1NTwithout batting an eyelash.

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-22, 01:58

what do you mean by reversing, opening 1 and rebidding 2? that's not a reverse. that's game forcing which is a massive overbid.

the hand is worth a 1 opener and 1 rebid. partner never passes that unless he's got total rubbish and then you can bid again to show your extra values.

however, with 2 doubleton kings, it would be a good plan if you wanted to get no-trumps in first, so it would be fine to jump rebid 2nt and show 18-19. partner can still find a spade fit.

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-22, 02:27

My plan is opening 1 then rebid 1, what else?

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-22, 06:51

Not a 1NT hand at all. 1 1red 1 or of course 1 1 3, or 1 pass. Happy to let NT be played by partner, rather by him than by me.

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-January-22, 07:10

I would definitely open 1 in 1st or 2nd seat. I could see myself bidding a tactical 1NT in 3rd if I have an understanding partner.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-January-22, 09:24

In playing strength, this hand is closer to a 2NT opening than a 1NT opening. 1 seems obvious.

A method I learned for evaluating adjustments is to multiply the number of controls (A=2, K=1) by 3 1/3. Here, that is 23 1/3. I then subtract the HCP count. That's 6 1/3. If the difference is +/- up to 1 2/3, no adjustment needed. If +/- 2 up to 5 2/3, add or subtract 1. If +/- 6-8 2/3, add/subtract 2. This one is +2, so adjusted is 19. With 5422 undervalued, and A109x only counting for 4 points, I see this as about a 19.5 HCP equivalency. Hence, closer to 2NT.

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#8 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2016-January-22, 10:07

1 for me. Too strong for 1NT and not ideal shape and no rebid issues after 1.

#9 User is online   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-22, 12:16

I'll open 1C.

I thought of NT to protect my red K's but that will be for the 2nd round, if any (1C-1D/H-2NT). I am definitely too strong for 1NT opening with a prime 17 count made of A&K, good intermediates and a 5-cd suit.

If opps intervene, I'll be able to show my S's anyway. And probably rightside the contract as well.

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-22, 12:41

At IMPS we do not want to miss game when p has that A and (club Q) or 3Q and a J type hand and opening 1c is a vastly better way to reach game then opening 1n. I would also rebid 1s if able but if p bid 1s I will go for 4s since I do not need responder to be anywhere near the top of their passed hand to make game and even if they are near bottom we might have some chances (slim). I rate this hand as roughly 19.5 in a spade contract and 18.75 for NT or hearts. So I will eventually bid 4s (if a fit exists) or 2n/3h depending on the bidding. I would be leery of raising hearts too much since p did not open a weak 2 (surely they will go to game if they did not open a weak 2 because they were to good right?).

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-22, 13:52

View Postwank, on 2016-January-22, 01:58, said:

what do you mean by reversing, opening 1 and rebidding 2? that's not a reverse. that's game forcing which is a massive overbid.

I agree with everything in favor of a 1 opener but in my partnership a jump to 2 is not game forcing. We only play that if it's a 3 level jump and this would just be a reverse since we have Ingberman (lebensohl) available.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-January-22, 14:45

If were flimsy, I'd prefer 1 NT say with something like A109x AK Kx Kxxxx.

But with the actual hand given, I'm definitely in the 1 opening camp.

As for the rebid after a 1 opener, I'd bid 2 NT. You have a 17 count hand with additional positives -- a good 5 card suit and working intermediates. That should pose no problem for finding a game if you have the tools to discover it over the 2 NT rebid.

#13 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-22, 14:59

My first thought was to open 1C and rebid 1S ovr a red response from partner. But after some thought and reading the comments I change that to 1C and rebid 2NT. After a little more thought I return to the 1S rebid. It's close.

Opening 1NT was never in the running..
Ken

#14 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-January-23, 07:58

View PostSimonFa, on 2016-January-22, 01:09, said:

This came up on my iBridgeBaron

Teams, W v W, Playing 2/1.

AT96 K6 K2 AK876

P (P) ?

When I was dealt this hand I thought:

Seems a bit strong for 1NT with Aces and Kings but it is pre-emptive and bidding NT first protects the Kings.

Reversing is an option and this gets the strength and distribution across, but lets ops in and a NT contract could be wrong sided.

What's your choice, or do you have another bid?

Spoiler

An absolute no-brainer. Open 1 and rebid 1 over any 1 level red suit response. This asks for preference and firmly
puts the spotlight on the remaining red suit. Partner should not go into NTs unless he has this suit well covered What if partner
responds 1NT over 1 ? Re bid 2 spades showing a minimum of 9 black cards and asking for cover in the
unbid suit for NTs
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#15 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-23, 09:46

36 zar points, too strong for 1nt with any fit, one club TINA

#16 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-23, 10:32

I think whatever you want to do is fine; nothing's wrong. I would open 1 but would hardly call 1NT an error.

#17 User is offline   dave_beer 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-23, 10:34

The hand is too strong for 1NT so I open 1.

My problem occurs on the next round if partner bids either 1 or 1. I play that my rebid of 1 denies the values for either 2NT or 2. I play that 2 has the same tempo as a reverse, i.e., not game-forcing but forcing for one round and guaranteeing a rebid.

This hand isn't good enough to force to game and the suit isn't good enough to be safe in 3 so I would rebid 2NT.

#18 User is offline   JmBrPotter 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bicycling, Chess, Computer Science, Go, Hiking, Learning, Military Simulation Games, Photography, Quality Improvement, Reading (SciFi, nonfiction), Statistics, Teaching, Two-Player Partial Information Games, Two-Player Total Information Games, oh! I almost forgot---Duplicate Contract Bridge playing and directing

Posted 2016-January-23, 12:19

I do not consider this hand balanced. I'm opening 1 in 2/1. If partner bids a red suit, especially hearts, my rebid will be 2NT for the reasons mentioned in the original post. My partnerships bypass minors to show a four-card major, so partner's 1 response may well include 4-5 diamonds, too. If partner responds in 1, I may mastermind the hand with a 2NT rebid. If partner raises clubs, I may take a shot with 5, but I'll probably make a game try with 2.

As my partnership does not bid 2/1, our opening bid will be 1 (4+ spades, 11-20 HCP, 1-suited {in spades} or two-suited with 4+ spades and 5+ in another suit NOT shorter than spades {same length as spades or one card longer}). My likely rebid over partner'd likely 1NT (5-6 or more HCP, no spade raise {0-3 spade cards}, and too weak to force game) is 3 (=4+-x-y=5+ shape with 16-20HCP).
:-)

Brian Potter

e-mail: ClioBridgeGuy >at< att >dot< net
URL: Bridge at the Village

Bridge is more than just a card game. It is a cerebral sport. Bridge teaches you logic, reasoning, quick thinking, patience, concentration, and partnership skills.
- Martina Navratilova

#19 User is offline   Timkin 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:photography, F1 racing. and bridge of course

Posted 2016-January-23, 14:26

What do you do after you open 1 and opponents bid and raise ? or even ?
With two short red suits, it is highly likely the opponents will easily find and bid one.
Opening 1N forces the opp to bid at the 2 level - so not so likely.
1N also defines your strength for your partner immediately.
If you play a NT contract it is right sided with the 2 kings.

#20 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-23, 19:02

View PostTimkin, on 2016-January-23, 14:26, said:

What do you do after you open 1 and opponents bid and raise ? or even ?
With two short red suits, it is highly likely the opponents will easily find and bid one.
Opening 1N forces the opp to bid at the 2 level - so not so likely.
1N also defines your strength for your partner immediately.
If you play a NT contract it is right sided with the 2 kings.

Well, after 1C-(1H) I will immediately find out of partner has spades. In fact, I will immediately find out of partner has five spades (he bids 1S) or four spades (he doubles).
After 1C-(1D) he will double with both majors. If, as it might, it goes 1C-(1D)-1H-(2D) I think I would still bid my spades to announce the suit oriented hand.

There are, of course, many things that could happen, not all of them good, but if this auction becomes competitive I do not think I will regret my 1C opening.
Ken

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users