BBO Discussion Forums: Green against red it would be fairly easy, but... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Green against red it would be fairly easy, but...

#1 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-20, 16:09

But you are red against green :angry:, and that is why your valuable comments are welcome.

It is the last hand of the first qualificative session (out of 3) of a MatchPoint event. So far, you're above average (53-55% you assess).

Do you come in? How?

And now, pretending you didn't see my partner's hand...

3NT came after a long thinking.

Up to you...

For the record, I bid 4, and got Xed. Actually, the 3NT bid looked fishy and my minor oppostion should have told me that it would fail (although several pairs bid and made it, I guess not after a brave 2-suited overcall). But I thought I needed no more than Hxxxx KQxxx or Axxxx Axxxx to make, or that maybe I could push them to 4NT or 5m (one pair went down in 4NTX while several went down or were allowed to make in 5) which I would double more confidently. But now, I think it was a bad bid (since both contracts are likely to fail, after all partner saw we are red, right?).

Nevertheless, the contract is far from hopeless, especially on the K lead. Opponents forgot again to lead 2 round of trumps when in with the A, but unfortunately, were 4-2 and 1-3 (West 4144 Qxxx x KQxx KQxx and East 2344 AK Axx Axxx Jxxx). I escaped for down 1 (W called his partner in by dumping one of his honors so I made my J on the last trick!) but I should have been down 2 the way I played it (i.e. trying for +790 with a friendly break in one of the majors, -1 can be guaranteed by playing safe). -200 was slightly below average.

Was there a way to make it?

I apologize for this long post and multiple questions but will read your comments with great interest.

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-January-20, 16:40

its not enough for a vul vs not michaels imo, 4h with your hand seems perfectly normal, the 3n bidder could just be mucking around on a yarbrough and 5 diamonds or something
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   monikrazy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-20, 16:49

I prefer 1 overcall to michaels. Bidding michaels with less than full opening values Red vs. White is too unwieldy and dangerous for me.

With the S hand, 4H seems a little optimistic even opposite a full partner. Double seems like the best of some bad choices.

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-20, 17:00

I think anything other than 4h with the south hand is just wrong, if we double partner can just take us for a random scattering of values, not jt9x in trumps, an outside ace and a ruffing value in spades - we have a really massive hand opposite a sensible vul against not michaels
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-21, 07:30

I would bid 2 or 3 as N, depending on how frisky I was feeling. We're way too weak for Michaels, which consumes little space and gives the opps a blueprint when they inevitably play own the hand.

So as S, I'm expecting a much better hand from P and will bid 4 without much thought to alternatives.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#6 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-21, 10:58

For me Michaels is weak or strong. So i bid 1S with opening values. My partner knows not to bid on over 3N. Swap major honours and you will not be taking 3N down.
Action is marginal. The 6th spade swings it for me to bid

#7 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2016-January-21, 12:50

My regular agreements are that Michaels tends to be preemptive. My pd would know not to bid.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-21, 12:59

Jinksy, on 2016-January-21, 07:30, said:

I would bid 2 or 3 as N, depending on how frisky I was feeling. We're way too weak for Michaels, which consumes little space and gives the opps a blueprint when they inevitably play own the hand.

So as S, I'm expecting a much better hand from P and will bid 4 without much thought to alternatives.

This is style dependent and deserves you defending 3N= when a heart lead would have defeated it. For us, 2 is bad/good and is what I'd bid.

#9 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-21, 14:11

I would bid a Michaels 2D overcall of 1D, if available. You have to bid; your side could easily make a game in either major. All partner needs is AKxx in spades and a doubleton heart and game will be virtually cold. Axxx in hearts and any stiff spade honor will also have play. It is uber-timid if not insane not to bid.

At IMPs, I would Double 3NT, planning to lead the conventionally agreed card in the heart suit. At MPs, I would Pass, planning to lead the conventionally agreed card in the heart suit.

#10 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-January-21, 15:22

Caitlynne, on 2016-January-21, 14:11, said:

I would bid a Michaels 2D overcall of 1D, if available. You have to bid; your side could easily make a game in either major. All partner needs is AKxx in spades and a doubleton heart and game will be virtually cold. Axxx in hearts and any stiff spade honor will also have play. It is uber-timid if not insane not to bid.

At IMPs, I would Double 3NT, planning to lead the conventionally agreed card in the heart suit. At MPs, I would Pass, planning to lead the conventionally agreed card in the heart suit.

If partner has that hand they are raising your overcall but you probably aren't buying the hand anyway.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#11 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-22, 06:02

Cyberyeti, on 2016-January-21, 12:59, said:

This is style dependent and deserves you defending 3N= when a heart lead would have defeated it. For us, 2 is bad/good and is what I'd bid.

Then that 'deserves' them being the only pair in the room to successfully pick up the 4-1 trump split in their 6 slam.

You pays your money and takes your choice, but I would rather just preempt my longest suit and confuse two opponents and one mostly inert partner figure than give them a road map with various low-level options for entry into the auction. I use Michaels only when there's a decent chance that it's our hand.

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-January-22, 06:27

Jinksy, on 2016-January-22, 06:02, said:

Then that 'deserves' them being the only pair in the room to successfully pick up the 4-1 trump split in their 6 slam.

You pays your money and takes your choice, but I would rather just preempt my longest suit and confuse two opponents and one mostly inert partner figure than give them a road map with various low-level options for entry into the auction. I use Michaels only when there's a decent chance that it's our hand.

The honour structure is wrong, partner can easily butcher a trick on the lead by leading a spade from Ax/Kx, I can see much more of a case for 1 with KQxxxx, J109xx.

I might well pass playing what I play at this vul (we don't play straightforward Michaels, I'd have to bid 3, and our simple overcalls show more defence than this), but there's no way I'd bid 2.

#13 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-22, 18:43

Cyberyeti, on 2016-January-22, 06:27, said:

The honour structure is wrong, partner can easily butcher a trick on the lead by leading a spade from Ax/Kx, I can see much more of a case for 1 with KQxxxx, J109xx.

If partner knows that you preempt aggressively in this position (s)he won't lead from that kind of a holding unless there are no other plausible looking leads to set the contract (and at MPs, even then would prob eschew Kx).

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-January-22, 19:09

Jinksy, on 2016-January-22, 18:43, said:

If partner knows that you preempt aggressively in this position (s)he won't lead from that kind of a holding unless there are no other plausible looking leads to set the contract (and at MPs, even then would prob eschew Kx).

Do you preempt really aggressively red v green ? The day pard doesn't lead a spade from Kx is the day you had QJxxxx and an entry.

#15 User is offline   Charlie Yu 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-24, 05:12

2D would be more than enough, shape>points, and my main goal would be to land on a major partscore. 4H is worse than suicidial. 5-4 fit red vs green isn't good enough. If we can make 4H, 3NT would go down a lot, there is no point to bid 4H.

#16 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-24, 15:53

Cyberyeti, on 2016-January-22, 19:09, said:

Do you preempt really aggressively red v green ? The day pard doesn't lead a spade from Kx is the day you had QJxxxx and an entry.

If I have QJxxxx and an entry (and they're playing NT) opposite P's Kx, he's unlikely to have another plausible lead to set the contract.

#17 User is offline   Charlie Yu 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-25, 05:12

Jinksy, on 2016-January-21, 07:30, said:

Why would that be too weak for michaels, I thought ppl play Michaels as 0-8 or 16+?

#18 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-25, 05:55

People play it as all sorts of ranges - I play it as 0-37, by preference. But you still have to hope to achieve something by bidding it. Opposite a passed hand, unfavourable with both majors, it's unlikely you have a good sac if you're not making anything - which you probably aren't with a hand this weak.

Meanwhile, 2 is a far less preemptive bid than even 2. Not only can they bid 2/2 artificially, then can X or pass then act later. So you're giving up a lot of info about your hand when P prob can't make any use of it and the opps very likely can.

#19 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-January-25, 06:02

Jinksy, on 2016-January-24, 15:53, said:

If I have QJxxxx and an entry (and they're playing NT) opposite P's Kx, he's unlikely to have another plausible lead to set the contract.

He leads from his K10xxxx hoping you have Qx(x) and hoping his card in your suit is an entry, blowing a trick, declarer then knocks out your entry

#20 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-25, 06:37

Jinksy, on 2016-January-25, 05:55, said:

People play it as all sorts of ranges - I play it as 0-37, by preference. But you still have to hope to achieve something by bidding it. Opposite a passed hand, unfavourable with both majors, it's unlikely you have a good sac if you're not making anything - which you probably aren't with a hand this weak.

Meanwhile, 2 is a far less preemptive bid than even 2. Not only can they bid 2/2 artificially, then can X or pass then act later. So you're giving up a lot of info about your hand when P prob can't make any use of it and the opps very likely can.

-

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users