• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reading ops card play Defensive carding

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2016-January-20, 05:50

I'm back to playing real world bridge after a lay off caused by work so hopefully will be getting more active here again.

Anyway, a simple question to start with ....

Club game, RHO is average in UK NGS system. MPs, RvR.

North Q932 AK84 K85 87

South 764 J52 A94 QJ54

Bidding P (P) 1D (P) 1NT All pass

Trick 1 H3 H4 HT HJ

Assuming H3 is an honest 4th highest from an honour, LHO is solid but predictable, how do you read RHO's HT?

If she had T9 would she play the nine for partner as some would? If not she has must have T7 or T6 and we can finesse with the 8.

I chose that line and RHO won the trick with the nine. At the end when I asked about it she said always hi-lo with a doubleton.

Is it best play to give count in this NT situation or play the nine to show the ten?

I think I would have played the nine that way if partner gets in they know its safe to lead a low heart.

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-20, 09:42

you made the right play. you were just unlucky that your opp accidentally false-carded because she doesn't understand count signals.

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-20, 15:14

rho has T9 or T(765) or 9(765)

While playing the T from T9 causes no harm imagine the extra damage from playing the T or the 9 from the other card combinations. Opens up the suit for 4 easy tricks for at best an almost useless piece of information. Playing the 9 from the T9 at least gives p a clue you might have the T in case they wish to continue the suit. Do not confuse this situation with following suit with a card below that of dummy/declarer where playing the top of a sequence might be of benefit.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-21, 11:00

View Postwank, on 2016-January-20, 09:42, said:

you made the right play. you were just unlucky that your opp accidentally false-carded because she doesn't understand count signals.

It is not at all an uncommon agreement at club level to play touching cards the "wrong" way round with a doubleton. The opponent may not understand your count signals but within her own system she played perfectly. For the OP, the upside is that he now knows what the agreement is and can use that information in future games given her "solid but predictable" nature.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-21, 16:42

An interesting situation. Forget the "a;ways give count" for a moment..

Suppose third hand holds T7. If declarer holds Q9 or J9 the situation is hopeless, while if declarer holds Qx or Jx with x<9 (and so x<7) the 7 is a good play.
Added[ Otoh, not so good f declarer holds 9x.

So, assuming count is not the automatic play, the T should [Added: maybe sort of] deny the 7. But not deny the other spots.

There is this idea that when attitude is obvious we give count, and that dummy seems to make attitude fairly clear. But we don't lay down useful cards for the sole purpose of giving count.

I am not sure I would have thought of it, but it seems to me this may be a case where, holding T9, third hand should play one or the other randomly. Added: This still seems right]

But yes, some always give count. Some play, third hand, the higher of touching honors. I have led from spots, Axx in dummy, declarer calls for a spot, partner produces the K, and later shows up with the Q. Fooled me! Probably fooled everyone.
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users