Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Passing throughout Whole stanza

#1 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-19, 17:41

I played in a 24 board match last night, split into two stanzas.

In the second stanza, my partner had a series of poor hands and mine were even worse: so much so that I passed throughout on all twelve deals!

Can anyone recall matching or bettering this 'feat'?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-19, 17:58

John Hobson and Andrew Dyson unveiled their "pass throughout" system at the Cambridge UBC in the mid 80s. I believe they scored around 60%.

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-20, 03:36

I recall having a streak of 50+ hands no better than 14 HCP at one club. Still, at least I got to bid on some of them though - for you not to have even been able to overcall the hands must have been pretty awful :-(

ahydra

#4 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-20, 03:38

Switch to a strong pass system next time.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2016-January-23, 03:41

...at the other table, the player with your cards bid on 5 of the 12 hands of the second stanza.

#6 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-23, 15:24

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2016-January-23, 03:41, said:

...at the other table, the player with your cards bid on 5 of the 12 hands of the second stanza.

Yes, on three deals he opened, vulnerable, on balanced hands with respective K&Rs of 10.05, 9.95 and 10.25. On the 4th deal his partner made a 4-card overcall which hit him with 5-card support, albeit in a weak hand. His 5th action was an unwise protection when his opponents had stopped in a part score, and he even got to declare. Given that he went for -1100, I'm happy with my decision to pass on that deal too.

#7 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-24, 14:16

View Postahydra, on 2016-January-20, 03:36, said:

I recall having a streak of 50+ hands no better than 14 HCP at one club. Still, at least I got to bid on some of them though - for you not to have even been able to overcall the hands must have been pretty awful :-(

ahydra

This set me wondering what percentage of hands a player would normally act on. Clearly, this will depend to some extent on opening bid and overcalling style (including partner's style: the more (non pre-emptive) actions partner takes, the more likely we will get into the auction on weaker hands).

Even if I only act on only 50% of hands, passing throughout for the whole stanza was a 1 in 4,096 shot. It suspect that I would act on more than 50% of hands though: our side declares approx. 50% of hands; it feels like there are probably more times that I act during the auction but end up defending than there are hands where partner declares the hand through solo bidding/hands which are passed out.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users