• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what is a 3 suited hand ?

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-20, 06:11

View Postkenrexford, on 2016-January-20, 05:14, said:

IMO, anything within 1 card of 4441 seems right, which includes 5440, 5431, and 4432.

The second definition I gave above could also be written as anything within 1 card of 5440 and that also seems quite reasonable. That would allow 5431s and disallow 4432s, which seems to me to match what we know of the way the regulation is policed in practise even without the term being properly defined by the ACBL. I do agree that terms used should be defined though - perhaps an ACBL member could email the relevant committee and ask what the official position is.
(-: Zel :-)

#22 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-20, 06:23

I think the thread has just about run its course, but I was really responding to someone's request to show 'evidence' So it seems clear from GCC definition that I can open 2C or 2D as a natural suit bid with as few as 3 cards....probably need to alert it...It also seems clear that I can open 2H or 2S as a natural suit bid with as few as 4 cards....so if this is this case, I see it hard to argue that a 4333 is NOT a natural 3 suited hand given the 4 card suit is a Major, as counter-intuitive as it may seem

#23 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-20, 07:25

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-January-20, 06:11, said:

The second definition I gave above could also be written as anything within 1 card of 5440 and that also seems quite reasonable. That would allow 5431s and disallow 4432s, which seems to me to match what we know of the way the regulation is policed in practise even without the term being properly defined by the ACBL. I do agree that terms used should be defined though - perhaps an ACBL member could email the relevant committee and ask what the official position is.

I'd be more inclined to view 4432 as three-suited than either 6430 or 5530, which fall within "within 1 card of 5440".

#24 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-20, 08:05

View Postcampboy, on 2016-January-20, 07:25, said:

I'd be more inclined to view 4432 as three-suited than either 6430 or 5530, which fall within "within 1 card of 5440".

Probably. The only distributions you are safe with are 5440, 4441 and 5431. It would be interesting to read what the official position actually is even when I am not in ACBLland myself.
(-: Zel :-)

#25 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-20, 09:00

View Postmgoetze, on 2016-January-19, 13:11, said:

Actually, words in the GCC mean whatever the director wants them to mean, regardless of what anyone thinks.

Thank you, Humpty Dumpty. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#26 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-20, 09:15

View Postmike777, on 2016-January-19, 17:33, said:

I see the OP asking 2 main questions.

1) is 5431 and 4432 a 3 suited hand...I showed evidence it is not.
2) is it GCC legal to play 2clbs to show any 5431 or 4432. I don't know..It would be nice to hear from some current ACBL directors on that question. I was last a director in the early seventies. :)

If I had 26 cards in my hand, I'd call the director.

From the GCC:

3. TWO CLUBS ARTIFICIAL OPENING BID indicating one of: a) a strong hand. b) a three-suiter with a minimum of 10 HCP.
5. TWO DIAMOND ARTIFICIAL OPENING BID indicating one of: a) a strong hand. b) a three-suiter with a minimum of 10 HCP.

Given that these two rules are identical, and given that opening 2 in Precision on (43)15 is legal, it seems very unconvincing to argue that opening 2 on a similar distribution (I gather that the singleton could be in any suit, but I hardly think that matters) is not legal. Either way, I would not call 4432 a three suiter, or even a two suiter. Calling a hand any kind of a "suiter" implies that you think it is better to look for a suit fit than for a NT contract. For me, if opener has a balanced hand, he should show a balanced hand. I would also say that trying to add "or a balanced hand" to your 2m opening would mean it does not fit whichever of these rules you're trying to apply.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#27 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-January-20, 14:51

1C-X("Alert")

Yes?

My partner's double might show a balanced hand, like 4432/3442/4342.

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users