BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding diamonds three times?! - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Bidding diamonds three times?!

#1 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-17, 12:05

I'm putting this in the Novice and Beginner section, because this is where I think it belongs.
Holding AKJ32, my partner bid not once, not twice, but three times, with no response from me (I had 4 points and a singleton ). Opponents were contesting in .
As it happens, we weren't left in 3.
Then when I queried partner's bids, partner got huffy.
Am I missing something :unsure: ?

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-17, 13:01

Which question are you asking: whether your advice was accurate or whether you were right to offer it?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-17, 14:21

According to his post, he didn't offer advice, he questioned his partner's bidding. If this was a pick-up partnership, I think that's a waste of time. If it's a regular partnership they should discuss it later.

If a regular or potentially regular partner gets huffy just because you questioned his bid(s), you should probably look for a new partner. If he's a one-timer, shrug and move on.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-17, 14:30

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-January-17, 14:21, said:

According to his post, he didn't offer advice, he questioned his partner's bidding.

You may or may not be right about that. The verbatim conversation is not given.

It is clear to me from the first part of his post that he did not agree with the bidding. Some of that may have rubbed of in the transmission. Even if it did not, you do not normally question partner's bidding with which you agree, so it would be hard to disguise disapproval and still have that conversation.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-18, 03:41

My question was in the last line of my post - and yes I think it's been answered thanks.
I agree that querying partner's play or bidding is not a very nice thing to do, but honestly I'd never get very far in bridge if I didn't do so occasionally. Sometimes I'm right - sometimes I'm wrong: I accept that. I get queries from partner myself - not very often. Not a problem.
But I don't want to be lectured on how to handle partners (all my partners are casual).
Incidentally, complete silence from my partner when I know perfectly well I've screwed up, is also off-putting. But I can't help that.

The verbatim conversation is not given.

As far as I can recall, I said something like "Sorry partner, bidding diamonds three times?" to which the reply was something like "what do you mean by that?" I did not get a chance to elaborate, even if I'd wanted to, because partner left the table.

#6 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-18, 06:14

I might get huffy too, if I made the diamond rebids in good faith, expecting with my heart shortage that if I was left in 3 it was a good sacrifice, and that it might make it more awkward for them to bid the heart game. "Don't criticise a casual partner" would be my advice to a beginner who wanted such advice, but of course I would not give that to someone who does not wish to be lectured on how to handle partners.

#7 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-18, 07:23

You will find that many players on BBO rebid 5 card suits for no good reason. It is a widespread disease.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users