Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TCR suggestion

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-17, 11:39

I suspect that voluntary withdrawal from an instant tourney has a negative impact on your TCR.
I think that it should not.
Lest my conclusion not be obvious I shall argue in its favour as follows:

The reason for having a TCR is to allow table hosts or tourney hosts to inhibit players from joining if the likelihood of their staying the course exceeds a perceived limit. They may be habitual bailers, or they may have poor connections.

It may not be possible on occasion for the server to determine the reason for failing to complete, as between a poor connection or a deliberate bail. But the distinction is irrelevant (except in an Instant tourney). Both are unwelcome. And where the server is unable to determine the distinction I agree that it is reasonable to reduce the player's TCR as if he had a poor connection. And that includes Instant Tourneys - a poor connection to an instant tourney is just as likely to impact on another tourney later.

But the server should be able to detect when a player bails from an instant tourney by reason of clicking on the "withdraw" button. At that point the server should acknowledge that the reason on that occasion was not a poor connection but a voluntary bail.

The next question is whether a curtailed instant tourney, identifiably caused not by a bad connection but rather by a voluntary bail, should have any impact on the TCR as it would have in any other tourney.

The point of significance is that by bailing from an Instant Tourney you are causing absolutely no inconvenience to any other human player, contrasted with other tourney types. Accordingly, it should have no stigma attached to it. There is no reason to think that someone who regularly bails from an Instant tourney may replicate that behaviour in circumstances that would be regarded antisocial.

If I have scored 2 x zero% hands in the first two hands of an 8 board instant tourney, I may feel minded to withdraw and start afresh. BBO should encourage that, as it accelerates their income stream. Should I be encouraged to play out the next futile 6 hands just to preserve my TCR?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-January-17, 12:22

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-January-17, 11:39, said:

I suspect that voluntary withdrawal from an instant tourney has a negative impact on your TCR.
I think that it should not.
Lest my conclusion not be obvious I shall argue in its favour as follows:

The reason for having a TCR is to allow table hosts or tourney hosts to inhibit players from joining if the likelihood of their staying the course exceeds a perceived limit. They may be habitual bailers, or they may have poor connections.

It may not be possible on occasion for the server to determine the reason for failing to complete, as between a poor connection or a deliberate bail. But the distinction is irrelevant (except in an Instant tourney). Both are unwelcome. And where the server is unable to determine the distinction I agree that it is reasonable to reduce the player's TCR as if he had a poor connection. And that includes Instant Tourneys - a poor connection to an instant tourney is just as likely to impact on another tourney later.

But the server should be able to detect when a player bails from an instant tourney by reason of clicking on the "withdraw" button. At that point the server should acknowledge that the reason on that occasion was not a poor connection but a voluntary bail.

The next question is whether a curtailed instant tourney, identifiably caused not by a bad connection but rather by a voluntary bail, should have any impact on the TCR as it would have in any other tourney.

The point of significance is that by bailing from an Instant Tourney you are causing absolutely no inconvenience to any other human player, contrasted with other tourney types. Accordingly, it should have no stigma attached to it. There is no reason to think that someone who regularly bails from an Instant tourney may replicate that behaviour in circumstances that would be regarded antisocial.

If I have scored 2 x zero% hands in the first two hands of an 8 board instant tourney, I may feel minded to withdraw and start afresh. BBO should encourage that, as it accelerates their income stream. Should I be encouraged to play out the next futile 6 hands just to preserve my TCR?

If a player leaves a robot tournament using the Withdraw button TCR is not impacted.
Instant Tournaments don't count towards TCR either way (doesn't matter if you finish, withdraw or log off, TCR isn't impacted).

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-January-17, 13:21

Thank you.

The only tournaments that I have played in in the last few months have been Instant MP robot tournaments. And I have played in a lot of them. Not so much in January.

I have played occasional hands with human partners, but not in tournaments and only a tiny fraction of the total played.

How do you square my current TCR of 91% with your response above?

Perhaps successfully completed instant robot tournaments are also ignored in the tcr, along with abandoned ones?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2016-January-17, 17:59

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-January-17, 13:21, said:

How do you square my current TCR of 91% with your response above?

If you have not played 10 countable tournaments in the past 60 days, see this related thread: http://www.bridgebas...-never-changes/ . It appears that your "historical" TCR is 91%. At this point, it might be impossible to figure out where that number came from.

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2016-January-17, 18:08

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-January-17, 13:21, said:

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-January-17, 12:22, said:

Instant Tournaments don't count towards TCR either way (doesn't matter if you finish, withdraw or log off, TCR isn't impacted).

Perhaps successfully completed instant robot tournaments are also ignored in the tcr, along with abandoned ones?

Yes, that's what she said. If your suggestion is that Instant Robot Tournaments should be treated the same as other Robot Tournaments, I agree with that suggestion.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-January-17, 20:40

Ok I get it now. My tcr must have been set in stone a very long time ago. I don't recall not completing a normal robot tourney but it is ages since I played in one so it is possible

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users