BBO Discussion Forums: balancing in a new suit by a semipositive - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

balancing in a new suit by a semipositive

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-16, 23:29

After a semipositive response to strong club and a preempt by RHO, should new suits by responder be forcing in the balancing position?

Here's one for us.....1C* P 1H* (3D) P P 3H where 3H shows 5+S/4+H and 2 to 5 QPs.

Not sure the equivalent for Moscito, but maybe...

1C* P 1N* (2H) P P 3C where 3C shows 5+S/4+C and 3-5 QPs.

The responses aren't unlimited and that argues for making these bids nf, but it's possible for responder to have sufficient strength/hcps to intend to force game.

#2 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-17, 01:47

I would think it was competitive and NF, absent some special reason to think otherwise - you've already got a pretty narrow values range shown and I would think opener with extras to GF would have been forced to act but didn't in the case. Sounds like a part score auction to me.

I guess it depends on your style of what to do with a semi positive values hand that has enough shape to force to game. I would normally upgrade to a GF and let partner worry later I might be light on values if he relays out an extreme shape, but I understand others prefer a more purist approach on min QPs, etc.

#3 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-17, 18:32

Thanks, Rob. That was my inclination, but we do have hands that want to force game and presumably these would have to underbid or double or...

#4 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-17, 20:11

View Postrbforster, on 2016-January-17, 01:47, said:

I would think it was competitive and NF, absent some special reason to think otherwise - you've already got a pretty narrow values range shown and I would think opener with extras to GF would have been forced to act but didn't in the case. Sounds like a part score auction to me.

+1...given responder can cue, X or blast to game, there's sufficient ammo to argue for NF.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users