BBO Discussion Forums: Non-Jump at 3-level treated as Splinter - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Non-Jump at 3-level treated as Splinter

#1 User is offline   pons_ 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-16, 21:17

Corinne confirmed via email that GIB treats this 3H bid as a splinter (in support of Clubs). If that is true, I certainly think that interpretation by GIB should be at least revisited. I would estimate that over 95% of bridge players would NOT treat 3H as a splinter. If not true, then you have a bug.

Only NS were bidding. I was South. After my 3H bid Robot North now bid 4NT (RKC for clubs). Belatedly I clicked on 3H which was explained as 'Splinter..4+ clubs; 5+ diamonds; 1- hearts; 17+ Total Points; forcing to 3NT'

1 - 2
3 - 3

Thanks

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-16, 23:00

at the very least 3h==game force, no clear direction....deny strong hearts, tell me more partner.

so to think it shows clubs and short hearts in not a great leap.

iN ANY CASE make the most descriptive rebid you are able.

#3 User is offline   pons_ 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-17, 02:29

View Postmike777, on 2016-January-16, 23:00, said:

at the very least 3h==game force, no clear direction....deny strong hearts, tell me more partner.

so to think it shows clubs and short hearts in not a great leap.

iN ANY CASE make the most descriptive rebid you are able.

I totally agree that 3H is a game-force and usually denies strong hearts (unless it has lots of shape or extras). Certainly 'probe' or as you state, 'tell me more partner' should be GIB's default. Though it bypasses 3NT (opener did bid spades and clubs and not 2NT), 4H can be utilized as the splinter. Even if GIB took 3H as natural, at least a very good hand with 6+ diamonds and 5 hearts (admittedly rare) would be allowed to pattern out.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users