Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your last call?

#1 User is offline   bluerib 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-15, 20:30

You are North, dealer, holding the following hand.

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-January-15, 20:47

bluerib, on 2016-January-15, 20:30, said:

You are North, dealer, holding the following hand.
I rank
  • Pass = Partner didn't request your opinion.
  • Redouble = Shows you trust partner :) and have an undisclosed keycard :)
  • 7 = Heroic on some hands where West has AK :) Clearly informs partner that you think he's an idiot. :(

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-15, 20:49

What was 4NT? Normal Blackwood? Natural? Something else?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2016-January-15, 22:04

If you want an intelligent opinion you have to tell us EXACTLY what 4NT meant and also what alternatives PD had with his obviously huge hand.

#5 User is offline   bluerib 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-16, 03:40

nige1, on 2016-January-15, 20:47, said:

I rank[/size]
  • Pass = Partner didn't request your opinion.
  • Redouble = Shows you trust partner :) and have an undisclosed keycard :)
  • 7 = Heroic on some hands where West has AK :) Clearly informs partner that you think he's an idiot. :(

Well, this is the first time I played with this partner on the web, I took 4NT as Blackwood. My response can be taken as showing 2 aces which is strictly not true, or as a sign-off at 5C. When I heard a 6NT by partner and a Double from West, I knew that all the remaning strength was there and I took my chance by bidding 7C. As the cards lie, this decision was correct. The play for making 7C doubled is just routine. And we got a 12.40 imps.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-January-16, 04:10

bluerib, on 2016-January-16, 03:40, said:

Well, this is the first time I played with this partner on the web, I took 4NT as Blackwood. My response can be taken as showing 2 aces which is strictly not true, or as a sign-off at 5C. When I heard a 6NT by partner and a Double from West, I knew that all the remaning strength was there and I took my chance by bidding 7C. As the cards lie, this decision was correct. The play for making 7C doubled is just routine. And we got a 12.40 imps.

5 showing two aces? You and this first-time partner had extremely detailed agreements!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-16, 05:50

7 looks a bit tricky to me, on a club lead.

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-16, 08:32

Well the cards are marked by the X. Win CQ, take the heart ruffing finesse throwing a diamond, cross to CA, spade finesse. You can then play for spades 3-3 or a pointy suit squeeze against West by running the trumps. (A somewhat thin grand!)

To OP - South's jump to 4N is somewhat ill-advised. You have lots of points but no shape, so practically forcing to slam is a bad idea (picture partner with the common 12-14 bal and you don't have the 33 HCP needed for 6N). Further, you have no clue which strain is best - you could belong absolutely anywhere. Best to just start with 1D or 1H depending on agreements and let partner show more info.

ahydra

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-16, 11:55

this is not life or death. Just trust partner and if things go wrong discuss it later.

xx = 10 if p cannot make 6n when we could have had a measly 12 balanced then their bidding was truly bad. We have oodles of extras.
p = 8 you plain do not trust your partner but 6n x should still bring in a tidy sum so even pass is a pretty nice option
7c = 3 a ridiculous lack of trust and hoping/praying the opps have the "right" ace might work around 33% but you really should recognize p expects at least 1 missing ace and this pull even if it works is damaging to partnership trust and quite frankly insulting so the rhree ranking is somewhat higher than the bid deserves. I would probably start a new partner search or at a minimum ask why my partner had decided to start masterminding the bidding.

#10 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-17, 03:50

ahydra, on 2016-January-16, 08:32, said:

Well the cards are marked by the X.
Well, of course, sitting west, I wouldn't have doubled, neither time, certainly not 7. If the opponents go for a non-sacrifice seven and you have an ace, you have to assume there's a void, and the last thing you want to do is to tell declarer he's got a ruffing finesse on...

Unless of course I'm playing the Lightner double convention - but in that case what would it tell partner to do?

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-January-18, 06:12

I'm passing this hand after partner bids 6 NT. I am in no position to know what partner has bid 6 NT on. Partner has taken control of the hand and placed the contract. If it's wrong that's on partner.

If necessary, it's better to discuss in the post mortem why partner did it and went down than to try to defend why you "saved" partner and pulled defeat from the jaws of victory.

When partner does something unusual, it just may be that partner has a really good reason for doing so. Part of being a good partner is to trust and respect your partner's decisions.

#12 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-18, 06:59

bluerib, on 2016-January-16, 03:40, said:

When I heard a 6NT by partner and a Double from West, I knew that all the remaning strength was there and I took my chance by bidding 7C.

Of course.
You are missing 3 aces, but your clubs are near solid, and the only ace West could possibly have for his double must be the A.

Rainer Herrmann

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-January-19, 06:58

Hello bluerib and welcome to the BBO forums. You were extremely lucky in having a genuinely awful auction and landing on your feet at the end. Congratulations on the hand but please do not make the mistake of thinking that this was good bridge. For what it is worth, a 5 response to traditional Blackwood shows 0 or 4 aces, not 2.

rhm, on 2016-January-18, 06:59, said:

Of course.
You are missing 3 aces, but your clubs are near solid, and the only ace West could possibly have for his double must be the A.

You think the hand held is more likely than something along the lines of: KJT AKQ QT9 AQJ9? Or are you being ironic in light of the OP?

I assume noone here would have responded 4NT with the South hand but, having taken over from the wine waiter, how many would continue over 5 with the actual South hand? And if so, with what?
(-: Zel :-)

#14 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-19, 07:13

rhm, on 2016-January-18, 06:59, said:

Of course.

Rainer Herrmann

Zelandakh, on 2016-January-19, 06:58, said:

are you being ironic in light of the OP?

No I was dead serious of course. B-) :P
A super bidddng sequence to a great contract!

Rainer Herrmann

#15 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-January-19, 08:16

rhm, on 2016-January-19, 07:13, said:

No I was dead serious of course. B-) :P
A super bidddng sequence to a great contract!

OK, alles klar! :lol: As you know, irony is a little tricky in written form so perhaps a smiley would have been an idea, esepcially considering that the OP is a new poster.
(-: Zel :-)

#16 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-19, 08:45

Indeed, making doubled slams is fun. Going down in badly bid slams, not as much. On this deal you got the upside, but if you make a habit of such bidding, you will get the downside often.

And welcome to the forum!
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users