• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reputations for Players?

#41 User is offline   vylette 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-15, 17:28

Being able to leave a negative vote or feedback could be too damaging or cause extra hassles for the people who run BBO. I know with ebay alone, getting a negative feedback was damaging, even if it was undisturbed.

A way to rate players might be just focus on the positive. Have a "friendly, or good player" thumbs up rating and you can only give positive points to people. So if you sit down with someone who doesn't have any positive points they are either new or something is up..

#42 User is offline   patchyfog 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-15, 17:47

Setting the completion rate for those entering the table at
95% works amazingly well as keeping rude people away. I wish
more people would do that. We could make it so these nasty
folks are all just playing with each other!

#43 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-18, 07:29

View Postgwnn, on 2016-January-15, 13:07, said:

I still find it hard to believe that because I miscounted trumps on a hand, not only will my partner give me a 1-star rating, but also ask a bunch of their friends to try to play with me and to give me 1-star reviews (or creepily messaging whoever I'm playing me to rate me low, with dubious chances of success). Are we seriously afraid of this?

Actually, they certainly will do exactly this, at least the part about giving one star. In fact you don't even need to make an error - they just need to think you did. Getting booted from a table by a raging idiot is a fairly routine occurrence in the MBC, no reason to think the one star would be any different.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#44 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-January-18, 08:17

I don't mind the 1* part from an ignorant or justifiably upset partner. I was talking more about the "evil mastermind starts a campaign to downvote me." Maybe I have too much faith in the idea, but I think the positive reviews will be genuine and the negative will be a bit overblown. It should even out in the long run (especially if you make some small tweaks, for example disregarding or partially disregarding reviews from people who keep 1*'ing everyone, and similar small adjustments). I don't buy for even one second that there will be wolf packs intentionally following people to play with and downvote en masse.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#45 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-18, 08:24

Not sure whether this was covered above, but I'd also hope that any ratings given would be relative to expectations ("exceeded expectations", "met expectations", "didn't meet expectations"); my expectations would be higher for a random who self-rated advanced than for a random who self-rated beginner.

#46 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-January-18, 11:34

View PostBbradley62, on 2016-January-18, 08:24, said:

Not sure whether this was covered above, but I'd also hope that any ratings given would be relative to expectations ("exceeded expectations", "met expectations", "didn't meet expectations"); my expectations would be higher for a random who self-rated advanced than for a random who self-rated beginner.

You can put whatever you want in the instructions, people will vote how they feel, not necessarily according to the description.

Just like self-ratings, where people ignore the explanations of what each level is supposed to mean.

#47 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-18, 13:45

Maybe, maybe not, gwnn. I do remember a certain G- however, and the popcorn-watching crew of kibitzers he engendered.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#48 User is offline   OldPlayr 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-18, 14:21

I have found robots to be by far the most enjoyable table mates on BBO. They always finish the hand, bid consistently, never complain, never give advice, and never insult anyone.

Perhaps this will change as AI implementation improves. I await the day when two robots auto-insult one another on BBO :)

#49 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-January-18, 14:58

View Postmycroft, on 2016-January-18, 13:45, said:

Maybe, maybe not, gwnn. I do remember a certain G- however, and the popcorn-watching crew of kibitzers he engendered.

Well yes, I actually thought of him too when I wrote here. Even disregarding the obvious fact that he was a huge exception, how many people did he actually play with, however? As far as I remember, he had a few close friends with whom he was playing and a bunch of kibs were following him around. Kibs would not be able to evaluate players.
      George Carlin

#50 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-January-18, 15:29

View Postbillw55, on 2016-January-18, 07:29, said:

Actually, they certainly will do exactly this, at least the part about giving one star. In fact you don't even need to make an error - they just need to think you did. Getting booted from a table by a raging idiot is a fairly routine occurrence in the MBC, no reason to think the one star would be any different.

So what you're saying is that raging idiots have a lot of friends.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#51 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-19, 04:45

But if some idiot, who has been enemy-marked by hundreds of players and not friend-marked by any of my friends, gives Csaba a thump-down, would that have any impact of my compatibility with Csaba? If so then the algorithm is just stupid.

This is a lot easier for BBO than it is for Amazon etc. BBO has plenty of data to support inference about the quality of the thumb-downs.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#52 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-19, 23:41

This seems hurt least.

From "rating of any form unnecessary" camp

View Postvylette, on 2016-January-15, 17:28, said:

Being able to leave a negative vote or feedback could be too damaging or cause extra hassles for the people who run BBO. I know with ebay alone, getting a negative feedback was damaging, even if it was undisturbed.

A way to rate players might be just focus on the positive. Have a "friendly, or good player" thumbs up rating and you can only give positive points to people. So if you sit down with someone who doesn't have any positive points they are either new or something is up..

#53 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-20, 04:04

There's a common way of keeping out the stupid trolls, by normalizing a person's ratings. The logic is that if you give everyone one star, that means they're all average, whereas if you usually give 5 and now give 3, that partner is probably bad. Granted, people could still invest the time in giving randoms 5 stars so their vote of 1 star to gwnn will have an impact.

#54 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-January-20, 04:20

As with a lot of systems, a key idea is to keep the exact details secret to make exploiting it harder.
      George Carlin

#55 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-20, 04:20

View PostOldPlayr, on 2016-January-18, 14:21, said:

Perhaps this will change as AI implementation improves. I await the day when two robots auto-insult one another on BBO :)

http://www.insultgenerator.org/
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users