BBO Discussion Forums: Interval between deal - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interval between deal Let host set the interval

Poll: Allow host to set the interval (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Should BBO give the host the possibility create a delay between deals.

1. Never (2 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Always (3 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Only in certain clubs (1 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   badgersrul 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-January-13, 07:59

Since some of us actually like to socialize or just discuss a hand while playing bridge we think it might be nice to have the option to set a delay interval between deals. With this option there should also be an icon that the host can click on to deal before the delay interval is up.

There would need to be a notification on the open table list showing which tables have a deal delay so new players are not complaining that the table is too slow. These people make bridge less enjoyable for some of us.

Why do we need this, because it makes the site more real. Right now it is like playing a video game. The cards just keep coming at you and you have no time to think about or discuss the last hand before the next hand is dealt. The hands come continuously and very fast. This good sometimes but not all the time.

Please chime in, BBO said I should post this for consideration on the discussion forum.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-13, 08:08

Hi Badgersrul, welcom to the forum!

Personally I think that this is not necessary. It will vary by deal anyway, sometimes there is a need to discuss and sometimes there isn't.

Put in the table label, invitations or even your profile that you like to postmortem sometimes, so people who prefer to rush through to the next board are warned.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-January-13, 10:10

Welcome to the forums, badgersrul. Please notice the organization -- we have one category for discussion of bridge in general, and another for BBO-specific discussions. I've moved this thread to the BBO category.

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-January-13, 11:52

Having new cards on my screen has never stopped me from discussing the old ones when I wanted to.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-13, 12:19

Although this is a sensible suggestion, I think that the vast majority of BBO players belong to the 'faster please', 'too slow', crowd and they'd be terribly frustrated if the next deal did not immediately pop up on completion of the current one.

We all play for different reasons :)
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-13, 12:31

Whether I want a lengthy postmortem or not, probably depends on how I played the previous hand. If I've played like a pudding (alas! not an uncommon occurrence! :( ) I'll probably want to go quickly to the next hand......

#7 User is offline   westwoodfo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-February-05, 04:49

During this pandemic more people are playing “social” online Bridge with the same group. Chatting about the why’s and wherefore’s of some of the hands is what one would do face to face round the kitchen table. Each group would never impact on people randomly joining a space at a table. When one presses “Casual “ and the names being invited to the table could we not have the option to delay between hands for a minute or two...one hardly has time to see what cards partner was holding....or the opponents ?

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-05, 09:14

Set "permission required to play" on the table. That both allows you to get your "same group" in, and ensures that in case of disconnection, you don't have to deal with "sorry, our fourth is back, thanks, but can you let her back in?"; and doesn't boot dealer for not bidding in X seconds.

Then open up the history tab, if playing on a computer. On the tablet display, you'll have to switch over.

Then look at the hands, the auction, the other plays, the double-dummy analysis, discuss to your hearts' content, either on table chat or Skype/Zoom/Meet/..., and when the four of you are done, dealer can bid the next hand.

There is zero reason why cards for the next hand showing up requires you to bid them (except, as PaulG says, that more people are "faster, plz" than "discuss each hand". But if you're playing in the same kitchen group as before, then you know their proclivities, no?)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users