Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Monster hand - slam territory? Probably dull, but I thought it interesting

#1 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-13, 03:55

In a Matchpoints game on BBO, I was dealt this 25 HCP monster (probably why I remember it!)

Dealer: East, Matchpoints, playing SAYC or 2/1

Assuming the bidding starts with two passes followed by 2 by West (or by a monster 3NT opening, if that's what you prefer), I'd love to hear how people would bid this (using any gadgets as needed)?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-13, 05:29

We're not getting beyond 5.

2-2(neg)
2(kokish)-2 (semi forced)
2N (24-25 bal)-3 (transfer)
3-3
4-?

At this point the small hand either gives up or asks aces and finds he's missing the trump KQ/AQ so signs off in 5. We break transfers very freely so E knows W doesn't have any 4 hearts or 3 and a good side 5 card suit, and W knows E doesn't 7 hearts or he wouldn't have bid 2.

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-January-13, 10:53

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-January-13, 05:29, said:

We break transfers very freely

But perhaps not freely enough?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-January-13, 16:56

View Postshyams, on 2016-January-13, 03:55, said:

In a Matchpoints game on BBO, I was dealt this 25 HCP monster (probably why I remember it!)
Dealer: East, Matchpoints, playing SAYC or 2/1
Assuming the bidding starts with two passes followed by 2 by West (or by a monster 3NT opening, if that's what you prefer), I'd love to hear how people would bid this (using any gadgets as needed)?
Depends on what gadgets you've agreed e.g.
  • 2/1: _P-2-2-2N-3-3-4-4. (Where 2 = K at most. 2N = reverse Kokish 24+ flat. 3 = Muppet. 3 = No 4CM, 4 = 6+ ).
  • Jasmine: _P-1-1-2N - and so on (Where 1 = 16+/ 1 = 0-8. 2N = 24-25 flat... ).

#5 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-January-13, 18:38

My auction is actually easier if second seat opens, say, 1S. I double with the huge hand, showing

0-4 HCP, 3+ in hearts, diamonds, clubs, or
15-18 balanced, or
11-18 takeout, or
16-18, shape appropriate for X rather than other, or
24+ HCP, any shape.

After my Son-of-RUNT double, partner presumably bids 1NT, artificial Herbert Negative, any shape.

I bid 2NT, 24+ balanced.

Partner now has three options. He could bid Texas, showing long hearts and less than 5 HCP, or Jacoby then 4H, showing the ssme thing but mild slam interest. Or, he could go all in with Jacoby 3D and a 3S cue, showing 0-4 HCP but strong slam interest.

Thus, the fact that I can actually show 24+ oppozite 0-4, and then say whethrr the 0-4 is no, mild, or strong slam interest, plus then cuebid opposite strong, is fairly good.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-January-14, 04:49

View Postkenrexford, on 2016-January-13, 18:38, said:

My auction is actually easier if second seat opens, say, 1S. I double with the huge hand, showing

Partner now has three options. He could bid Texas, showing long hearts and less than 5 HCP, or Jacoby then 4H, showing the ssme thing but mild slam interest. Or, he could go all in with Jacoby 3D and a 3S cue, showing 0-4 HCP but strong slam interest.

Thus, the fact that I can actually show 24+ oppozite 0-4, and then say whethrr the 0-4 is no, mild, or strong slam interest, plus then cuebid opposite strong, is fairly good.

Why can you not do the same in a 2 -> 2NT auction. I assume the other posters also have at least 3 options for heart-based hands. I thought the issue being raised was more how to keep spades in the picture for the times when that is right. That is an issue I do not have as my auction begins 1 - 1; 3 showing 25-26 balanced without a 4 card major, although now of course there are only 2 ways to 4 so the cue sequence option has to be sacrificed.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-January-14, 05:30

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-January-14, 04:49, said:

Why can you not do the same in a 2 -> 2NT auction. I assume the other posters also have at least 3 options for heart-based hands. I thought the issue being raised was more how to keep spades in the picture for the times when that is right. That is an issue I do not have as my auction begins 1 - 1; 3 showing 25-26 balanced without a 4 card major, although now of course there are only 2 ways to 4 so the cue sequence option has to be sacrificed.

I mean, obviously this is silly, but being able to show 24 balanced, easy. Being able to deny points, easy. But, having 3S available as a slam move setting hearts because of the opening, and knowing that all finesses will work, not so much.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-January-14, 06:02

View Postmgoetze, on 2016-January-13, 10:53, said:

But perhaps not freely enough?

Why, I don't think slam is that great on a spade lead.

#9 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-January-14, 06:33

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-January-14, 06:02, said:

Why,

Because the West hand is significantly better for a heart slam than an average 25 HCP hand. KJx AJx AKQJ KQJ is also a 25 HCP hand.

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-January-14, 06:02, said:

I don't think slam is that great on a spade lead.

I'm not sure East should move towards slam even over a superaccept, so that seems irrelevant.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2016-January-14, 07:32

View Postmgoetze, on 2016-January-14, 06:33, said:

Because the West hand is significantly better for a heart slam than an average 25 HCP hand. KJx AJx AKQJ KQJ is also a 25 HCP hand.

The second example is a really poor 25 (and I would bid as 24 if ranges split differently). You have to decide which hands you break on, we break on any 4, and 3 with a good 5 card side suit. We get definition on those hands, if we break on the hand in the OP, we lose definition on those hands.

I'm not sure East should move towards slam even over a superaccept, so that seems irrelevant.

Depends what they know about the superaccept, Ax, Axxx, AKJx, AKQ is pretty much a cold slam requiring not much more than trumps 2-1, it's nearly as good without Q.

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-January-14, 08:48

View Postkenrexford, on 2016-January-14, 05:30, said:

I mean, obviously this is silly, but being able to show 24 balanced, easy. Being able to deny points, easy. But, having 3S available as a slam move setting hearts because of the opening, and knowing that all finesses will work, not so much.

Not sure I follow about finesses work. We are talking about the general case here, right? You wrote that the auction would be easier for you if second seat opened because you could use your X->2NT sequence but I do not see why this makes it easier in comparison with the big hand opening. Whether the slam is good or not seems to me to be irrelevant to that discussion.
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-18, 16:13

I think I manage to stay off the slam and at the safe 4 level, after a good old Stayman sequence. Yes, responder has a 4 card-major, it seems like lots
didn't notice. Or maybe with such an unbalanced strength between the 2 hands, it is better to play in 6-2 or 6-3 fit (hum, on a bad day it could be 6-1 with a stiff A or K) even if partner has 4?

With my partner, we would bid something like
2 - 2 GF - aceless, 0-1 King, 0-7 HCPs,(we wrong-sided the contract but it makes no difference in this case)
2N - 3 24-26 balanced - Stayman
3 - 3 no 4cM - 5+ and 4
4 pass

I think as opener I would simply bids 4 rather than cue-bidding, to show a hand with no real extras (ok, lots of AK, but knowing 9 major cards at least opposite, the Q and J are wasted, so unless partner has M honors, slam is bad and with a maximum like Kxxx QJxxx xx xx, partner is welcome to continue bidding). Responder, with his 6th is probably not strong enough (weak suits and questionable value of the stiff Q) to make a further move facing a not-too cooperative partner.

Even if I cue 4 as opener, I would now contend with 4 over 4, having already done enough, and things probably stop there as we both lack a little something to continue (namely decent trumps or decent trump support).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users