• You cannot reply to this topic

your call IMPs red vs white

#21 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-14, 13:19

View Postgwnn, on 2016-January-13, 05:21, said:

I'm ok with 2D. Ulven indoctrinated me into not caring about suit quality that much.

Googled his blog, but which posts should I read, and what in general makes you feel he's a good source?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#22 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-14, 13:46

I'd normally bid 2, but I'm surprised there are no suggestions of 2 yet (and there are some potential CHOs at the local club who would get me to bid 2).

#23 User is offline   ulven 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Real name: Ulf Nilsson
    Semi-pro player.

Posted 2016-January-14, 14:05

View PostJinksy, on 2016-January-14, 13:19, said:

Googled his blog, but which posts should I read, and what in general makes you feel he's a good source?

http://viewsfromtheb...x-and-more.html
"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
- R. Buckminster Fuller

#24 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-January-14, 15:11

View PostJinksy, on 2016-January-14, 13:19, said:

I was convinced by his arguments. You can google his bridge results yourself.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#25 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-January-14, 15:22

what a horrible hand, I must confess at the table I may have just passed - call me chicken. But i really hate 1N it seems to have everything going against it and very little for it.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#26 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-15, 02:41

Passing against white red opps seems sweet. What could go wrong? If I pass lho will pass if we have game since he needs 6 points to respond. after his expected pass partner will balance so it's all good. if lho responds I'm well placed knowing they have 12+ opp 6+. I can just make a takeout double of hearts and play in 3 of a minor without fear of missing game.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#27 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-15, 02:46

View Postgwnn, on 2016-January-14, 15:11, said:

I was convinced by his arguments. You can google his bridge results yourself.

his arguments were made about a hand with a bad 5 card suit and 12 points. this hand has a good 17 points and a bad 5 card suit. they are such different hands it's hard for me to imagine even discussing them on the same breath. the better your hand is the more likely
you should be willing to bid even with a bad suit, this should be obvious, the biggest upside esp r/w at imps is getting to a game. if you start with a pass it is very hard to get to game later unless you bid at least twice which forces you quite high and is inconsistent.

living in fear of over calling at the 2 level with a hand this strong is just crazy. I live in fear of passing with such a great hand and letting them have make the first two bids at favorable vul. no I wouldn't overcall this hand minus an ace but that is a completely different discussion!!!
The artist formerly known as jlall

#28 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-January-15, 02:55

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-January-13, 15:15, said:

1N will come out OK unless partner has exactly 5 hearts and not enough to invite.

How about when he has QT8xxx of hearts and enough to bid game?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#29 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-January-15, 05:37

View PostPhantomSac, on 2016-January-15, 02:46, said:

his arguments were made about a hand with a bad 5 card suit and 12 points. this hand has a good 17 points and a bad 5 card suit. they are such different hands it's hard for me to imagine even discussing them on the same breath. the better your hand is the more likely
you should be willing to bid even with a bad suit, this should be obvious, the biggest upside esp r/w at imps is getting to a game. if you start with a pass it is very hard to get to game later unless you bid at least twice which forces you quite high and is inconsistent.

I know, didn't mean to say that the two situations are the same. Just that I'm OK with overcalling on that hand (well something like that hand, not necessarily that weak) so the same arguments must hold more on this one.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users