• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Definition of opponent

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-10, 18:25

On a team match a player approaches too much a table that is playing and comments about the board being played loudly enough to be heard.

It is obviously UI for his team mates, but what about their opponents?, is it AI?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-10, 23:14

Let me get this straight: this player is a member of one of the teams at the table, and he makes a comment about a board in progress?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-11, 07:19

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-January-10, 23:14, said:

Let me get this straight: this player is a member of one of the teams at the table, and he makes a comment about a board in progress?

That is indeed what he seems to be saying. Sounds pretty flagrant to me. On top of whatever ruling applies to the current board, I would try to apply an individual sanction of some kind.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-January-11, 07:28

Interesting problem. I think it has to be authorized for the non-offending side.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-11, 10:22

Law 16 provides the answer: it's UI for both sides. That law doesn't say anything about teams, only about sides, a side being two players who contstitute a partnership. Since the information is not authorizeed according to 16A, it's unauthorized and should be treated according to 16C3/2c.
That the culprit should be punished, is obvious and a penalty of 2 or 3 VP's is in order, since this is a serious offence.
Joost

#6 User is online   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-11, 12:23

View PostFluffy, on 2016-January-10, 18:25, said:

On a team match a player approaches too much a table that is playing and comments about the board being played loudly enough to be heard.

It is obviously UI for his team mates, but what about their opponents?, is it AI?

My thinking is that it is unseemly to coerce (a la L16) someone who did nothing wrong to disadvantage himself. With that in mind...

As WBF2008 stands now there is room to interpret crucial passages. For instance:

definitions- 'Opponent — a player of the other side; a member of the partnership to which one is opposed.'

Are not all other entrants, as such, members of a partnership to which one is opposed? I do think so. Reading L16A2:

Players may also take account ... of the traits of their opponents,....

provides room to contemplate that when entrants (which is to say opponents) at some other table improperly speak so loudly as to be overheard, that the anointment of authorization occurs such that it falls outside the compulsion of L16C1:

When a player accidentally receives unauthorized information ….

WBF2008 probably was not written with the above in mind, but if it were, there likely would be considerably fewer bad actors.

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-12, 11:46

View Postsanst, on 2016-January-11, 10:22, said:

Law 16 provides the answer: it's UI for both sides. That law doesn't say anything about teams, only about sides, a side being two players who contstitute a partnership. Since the information is not authorizeed according to 16A, it's unauthorized and should be treated according to 16C3/2c.
That the culprit should be punished, is obvious and a penalty of 2 or 3 VP's is in order, since this is a serious offence.

Probably more than this; isn't 1.5 VP standard for when a member of a completely unrelated team who discusses a board within earshot of a team still playing?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2016-January-12, 13:20

View PostVampyr, on 2016-January-12, 11:46, said:

Probably more than this; isn't 1.5 VP standard ...

There is nothing in the law book about standard (procedural/disciplinary) penalties in Victory Points, and no de facto standard penalty in the different Regulatory Authority regulations.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-12, 19:23

View PostRMB1, on 2016-January-12, 13:20, said:

There is nothing in the law book about standard (procedural/disciplinary) penalties in Victory Points, and no de facto standard penalty in the different Regulatory Authority regulations.

What is normal in the EBU?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2016-January-13, 07:44

View PostVampyr, on 2016-January-12, 19:23, said:

What is normal in the EBU?

For long matches, 0.5VP is the standard procedural penalty (WB 8.12.3), and 1VP is the standard disciplinary penalty (WB 8.90.2).
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users