BBO Discussion Forums: Misinformation at the Club (ACBL) - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Misinformation at the Club (ACBL)

#21 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-11, 04:48

lamford, on 2016-January-10, 19:45, said:

That's how the phrase is practically always misused in my experience.

In England, a Lucas or Muiderberg two would be alerted and not described as a weak two, but described as a two-suiter with a stated point range.

True, nut I guess that's not what barmar means.

I think he means that the phrase "a weak two" is also used to describe a hand type rather than a bid. A bid that by agreement shows a 6 card suit and about 6-10 HCPs is described as "a weak two", even if it isn't a weak two.

Examples:

1-(2NT)-3: "Non forcing, something that looks like a weak two in hearts"
1NT-Pass-4 (Texas): "Transfer to hearts, 6+ hearts, typically something that looks like a good weak two in hearts"

I guess that Blackshoe is fine with the idea of the opponents explaining: 2-Dbl: "An opening without an alternative bid" and then show up with xxxxxKJxxxxxx (fine according to partnership agreement). After all, in his view "a four level opening is also an opening".

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-January-11, 09:55

Trinidad, on 2016-January-11, 04:48, said:

I think he means that the phrase "a weak two" is also used to describe a hand type rather than a bid. A bid that by agreement shows a 6 card suit and about 6-10 HCPs is described as "a weak two", even if it isn't a weak two.

Exactly. For instance, the explanation for Multi-2 is often "a weak 2 in one of the majors".

#23 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-January-11, 09:57

lamford, on 2016-January-10, 19:45, said:

That's how the phrase is practically always misused in my experience.

If a word/phrase is "misused" in the same way enough, and everyone understands that misuse, that's what it actually means. That's how language works.

#24 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-12, 05:38

Trinidad, on 2016-January-11, 04:48, said:

I guess that Blackshoe is fine with the idea of the opponents explaining: 2-Dbl: "An opening without an alternative bid" and then show up with xxxxxKJxxxxxx (fine according to partnership agreement). After all, in his view "a four level opening is also an opening".

Hm. I don't recall saying that, though I agree with it. But that has nothing to do with the explanation with which you suggest — incorrectly — that I would be fine. "Opening bid" is not a valid part of an explanation. It's too vague and too subject to misinterpretation. I would describe that double as "probably short in hearts with support for the other three suits and at least about 12 points, but he might be a little off-shape, say a doubleton heart or only 3 card support of one of the suits, or possibly a hand too strong for a simple overcall". If the call is more wide-ranging than that, I'd explain what the limits are.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#25 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-January-12, 05:43

campboy, on 2016-January-11, 03:15, said:

If someone explains an opening bid as showing an opening hand, they presumably don't merely and unhelpfully mean a hand which would open the bidding in their own methods. They must be saying something about how the hand would be treated in standard methods. And clearly that is not an opening hand (at any level) in standard methods. Nothing about the one level required here.

I would take "opening strength" as meaning "the strength required for opening at the 1-level in standard methods" and I would think that should be non-controversial.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#26 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-January-12, 14:31

helene_t, on 2016-January-12, 05:43, said:

I would take "opening strength" as meaning "the strength required for opening at the 1-level in standard methods" and I would think that should be non-controversial.

Too many undefined terms. :(
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#27 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-January-13, 10:37

blackshoe, on 2016-January-12, 14:31, said:

Too many undefined terms. :(

Yet somehow most people manage to understand it just fine.

BTW, no dictionary actually provides satisfactory definitions of words, unless the user already knows the language. Because they just define each word in terms of other words, which you might not know, either. If you keep following the definitions, in many cases I think you'll find yourself back at the word you started with.

#28 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-January-13, 19:18

<sigh> We're talking about a game here. :(
--------------------

#29 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-15, 10:30

helene_t, on 2016-January-12, 05:43, said:

It certainly should not given that this is an ACBL thread and the phrase is used in the Conventional Wisdom series (Part 14 - Opening Preempts).
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users