BBO Discussion Forums: continuations after pattern completion - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

continuations after pattern completion

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-06, 13:32

First topic

In the context of a strong club relay auction where a positive shows 6 QPs, if pattern is complete at 3H and we have 3S as QP ask and 4D as terminator puppet with the option to super-accept with 9....

3S-
.....3N-6
.....4C-7
.....4D-8
.....4H-9
.....4S-10

4D-
.....4H-6-8
.....4S-9

we're actually ahead by using the QP ask rather than the terminator puppet except for when we want to play 4H when partner has specifically 8 QPs.

If instead we allow a super-accept with 8 then

3S-
.....3N-6
.....4C-7
.....4D-8
.....4H-9
.....4S-10

4D
.....4H-6-7
.....4S-8

Now we're just way ahead using step one and not the terminator puppet. It also frees up the terminator puppet for something else, possibly a RKC ask.

Second topic....

When relaying a semipositive (say Moscito 3-5 QPs) and shape is shown at 3S or 3N, is it better for...

4C-QP ask
4D-terminator puppet
4H-RKC longest/highest
4S-RKC next
etc

or

4C-QP ask
4D-terminator puppet
4M-optional RKC ask
5m-slam invite

I'm interested in 4M here as invitational because there is less likelihood for slam than after a positive and hence no super-accept allowed (typically) after the 4D terminator puppet and you don't have
room then for responder to show extra.

Third topic

After relaying a semipositive (say Moscito 3-5 QPs) and you are using RKC asks, has anyone tried

S1-0 key cards
.....may ask for Q
S2-1 key card, no Q
S3-1 key card and Q
S4-2 key cards

#2 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-06, 16:35

I'll stick this in here, too. This is use of 4C after a TOSR relay auction to announce a void by asker.

"4c exclusion relay:
When responder has finished showing his shape with a bid of 3h or lower, a 4c continuation by opener shows a void and asks responder to bid 4d, after which opener will bid 4h, 4s, 4nt or 5c to show a void in responder’s longest, second, third or shortest suits (ties broken in the usual way, highest first) and ask for controls outside of the excluded suit. The responses are: 0 or 1, 2, 3, and so on, after which opener can relay for DCB in the usual way, but always excluding that suit. (So if responder has a short suit somewhere else, the DCB only covers two suits!)

There are a number of important notes about this kind of ask, so let’s jump right in.

This is basically forcing to the five-level at least, so opener must have a very good hand to do it: not just any old hand with a void and a fit. Also, opener will usually have another suit with neither of the top honors; otherwise he could just relay normally and expect to figure out where responder’s cards are. In short, as opener be extremely careful about using this toy. Even if it doesn’t lead to immediate disaster it may be inferior to the regular controls+DCB route."

#3 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-06, 18:37

Couldn't you put a two point interval in the first step? We did this when playing DCB (but we used controls and not QP). So something like this:

3H-3S;
3N = 6 or 7 QP
...4C = Relay
......4D = 6 QP, 4H now initiates DCB
......4H+ = Zooms into DCB with 7 QP
4C = 8 QP
4D = 9 QP
etc

This gets you higher with 6-7 QP, but opener can still sign off even though responder has 8 QP.

I like the idea of using a modified RKC vs a semi-positive.

#4 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-07, 00:12

View PostKungsgeten, on 2016-January-06, 18:37, said:

Couldn't you put a two point interval in the first step? We did this when playing DCB (but we used controls and not QP). So something like this:

3H-3S;
3N = 6 or 7 QP
...4C = Relay
......4D = 6 QP, 4H now initiates DCB
......4H+ = Zooms into DCB with 7 QP
4C = 8 QP
4D = 9 QP
etc

This gets you higher with 6-7 QP, but opener can still sign off even though responder has 8 QP.

I kind of like separating these. With 8 opposite 10+ and with a fit (captain can bid 3N without) our chances at the 5-level or even 4N seem pretty good. Maybe if I get burned too many times...

View PostKungsgeten, on 2016-January-06, 18:37, said:

I like the idea of using a modified RKC vs a semi-positive.

Thanks

#5 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-07, 14:14

The super accept with 9+ QPs works a lot better over 3N than it does over 4D as you observe. As a consequence, you basically always ask for QPs when the shape resolves below 3S and you plan on playing in a suit. Then the question is what should you use 4D for? Maybe the void ask or some other gadget, at least if there are a couple steps still below it available to ask for QPs.

#6 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-07, 19:23

View Postrbforster, on 2016-January-07, 14:14, said:

The super accept with 9+ QPs works a lot better over 3N than it does over 4D as you observe. As a consequence, you basically always ask for QPs when the shape resolves below 3S and you plan on playing in a suit. Then the question is what should you use 4D for? Maybe the void ask or some other gadget, at least if there are a couple steps still below it available to ask for QPs.

So you're using 9? We've been using 8 lately. I guess 8 is a little optional (we're obviously not forced to super-accept) but it seems like especially with a fit and a minimum of 18 QPs that the 5-level would be safe. Aside from the risk of getting too high, we lose a step here for PCB. OTOH, it takes a little pressure off of opener to ask QPs using 4C. Any thoughts? We had been missing some slams with 9 as our super-accept. I think TOSR requires 10 so I think they or we must be wrong here.

#7 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-08, 08:36

Thinking for the semipositives to RKC ask in the order H/S/C/D regardless of shape. Then

pattern at 3H

.....3S-QP ask
.....3N-to play
.....4C-RKC hearts
..........4D-0
..........4H-1
..........4S-2
..........4N-1 and Q, no side K
..........5C-1 and Q, side K
.....4D-terminator
.....4H-RKC spades
..........4S-0
..........4N-1
..........etc
.....4S-RKC clubs
.....4N-RKC diamonds

It gets better for pattern ending at 3C or 3D.

Also thinking to use 9 for super-accept of positives and 13 for super-accept of strong club which are +3 whether captain has bid 3N or 4D terminator (which applies at pattern end of 3S or 3N only) and use the same
4M and 5m optional RKC ask/slam invite that we do for the semipositives already. The target of 4M would be primarily 8 QP hands. What ought 5m ask for though? There is room to look for 8 QPs there so it seems like it should ask for something specific...like "We're missing 2 key cards and I don't have space to find that out". Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2016-January-09, 07:24

The idea of a modified RKC ask after a semi-positive is at the heart of my Variable Key Card Blackwood. I believe this to be the innovation of the future. That said, I think you could inprove on your structure somewhat if goong in that direction.

VKCB employs a concept of wrapping around. If your response is the highest possible, for example 2 in your structure, dedicating one bid to show that, and then requiring one bid to ask the next question, before any answers wastes the two most productive steps. Better to have the person answering go on to the next question on his own.

Thus, suppose the 2 answer only leaves room for a Jack. +4 might be 2 with the lowest Jack, +5 as 2 with the second lowest Jack, etc. Skip to slam with no Jack, perhaps.

Often, +4 is low enough that you can bump ip one. Then, +5 actually starts, in the example, the specific Jacks. You can then make room to ask for more lower. For example, VKCB allows for discovery of next-most-interesting side cards. If no trump Queen, for example, what about the King or Queen in your longest non-trump suit. Stuff like that.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-10, 08:49

Ken, I'm sure you're right.

Different topic but does anyone use an abbreviated cue bid scheme if QPs are revealed too late? Say pattern ends at 3S showing a 6430 and after a terminator 4D, RR breaks the puppet and shows 9 QPs at 4S.
We're pretty well placed just knowing pattern and QPs, but there isn't much room for locating cards.

Should we continue to use PCB here (or DCB), especially as there might still be room for a grand? Should we just ask # aces? Focus on the longest suit? Does anyone use two or more schemes depending at what point QPs are shown?

#10 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-10, 19:48

I think the original TOSR notes switched to straight ace asking with the first step (rather than QP ask) if the level of shape resolution was too high. Maybe it was if the ask was 4C or 4H, don't remember.

I do think there's some improvement to be made with QP showing schemes, specifically when you want to play in a suit, since there's a lot more space. That said, I'm not sure what the best way is to go about that and there are lots of variations - ignore the terminator and have direct game bids be optional sign offs (where opener answers QPs or maybe RKC in that suit with a very good hand, else pass), weak vs strong relay asks for QPs using the first two free steps (so they start at different levels for how much the first step "min" response showed, maybe for the strong one it goes 5/6/7/8... But for the weak one it's 5-8/9/10...), always asking for QPs so you free up cheaper RKC bids in all the suits if opener would rather have that option than a QP ask, having higher RKC asks only for better hands so the extra bids below 3N besides the first step QP ask can be stopper asks, etc, etc.

At some point, I think having any comprehensive, memorable relay asking system for honors and/or key cards gets 90% of the improvement over standard methods.

#11 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-10, 20:59

PCB takes up to two whole levels if you get a series of even responses. Practically I think I'd want to find QPs by 4C or 4D to mostly comfortably use it.

I've been noticing how often (I'd say greater than half the time) there is a slam if responder has 8 QPs to opener's minimum strong club, so I think I don't mind responder removing from 3N with 8. OTOH, if opener uses a 4D terminator, 9 would be shown at 4S (if we super-accept starting 9 in that case) so paradoxically, with a fit (opener uses 4D with a fit) we're actually on a worse start than if we had no fit or a minor suit fit and tried to sign off in 3N.

Adam has remarked that knowing number of QPs is often enough to decide whether to slam or not, and maybe knowing 9 at 4S is sufficient. Still, avoiding 4D terminator would be nice and if we have to use it, deciding whether PCB is the right continuation or not is something to think about. Maybe DCB is better there because at least you know something even if you can't scan every suit or scan every suit a second time. Maybe it isn't.

Were you thinking of low level terminators?

For example, say shape is shown at 3H.

3S-terminator puppet
.....3N-5-7
..........4C-re-ask
.....4C-8
.....etc

That seems to work. Try for shape shown at 3D.

3H-terminator puppet
.....3S-5-7
..........3N-to play?
.....3N-8

That's not as good.

3H-terminator puppet
.....3S-8
..........3N-asks
.....3N-5-7
.....4C-9

So we don't want to remember exceptions for every shape resolution step before 3N. Maybe 3N always shows the weak group.

#12 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:whippets<br>anarchy<br>relay

Posted 2016-January-10, 23:20

Never liked or used 4D end signal.
Partly a memory issue. A jump to game before shape is completely resolved is natural.
Dicey if you switch to RKC just because shape is out.

We use 4D as a mild slam try.
When shape is out but strength unknown, 4D says "Bid 4H with any minumum, bid bad trump suits upwards with a max" (Bid 4NT with a resurrect)
Max is loosely defined as +2 SPs or +1 Kontrols.

Sometimes you will have AKxxx opp xxx. Takes ages to track down whether one of those xxx is the queen. 4D does this
Say partner's 3-2-6-2 positive comes out at 3S (See other thread!)

AKJxx, AKxx, Kx, xx

Qxx, xx, Axxxxx, Ax

would be nice, if marginal. Bid 4D over 3S to check it out.
Then 4S over 4H (or pass 4S) Responder continues with actual. (And can reach grand with D-AQxxxx as well)
Note that 4C strength ask is pretty useless.

#13 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-10, 23:24

What's a "resurrect"?

#14 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-10, 23:50

I'm guessing 4N would just say "bad hearts". I kind of like this idea but would like to know more about it. In a sense you're scanning suits, stopping in a suit with nothing in it. Maybe not the best for grand slam bidding? Which is a minor consideration.

So I suppose opener's 4M shows a minimum and then optional RKC responses over that?

What if instead opener bid 4N or 5m. 5m a minimum? 4N?

#15 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-11, 00:41

View Poststraube, on 2016-January-10, 23:24, said:

What's a "resurrect"?

Continue after sign-off.
If shape is out & asker bids - say - 3NT, describer resurrects with (a good) base +4 SPs, so 9 for a positive to 1C.

#16 User is offline   shevek 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-11, 00:47

View Poststraube, on 2016-January-10, 23:50, said:

I'm guessing 4N would just say "bad hearts". I kind of like this idea but would like to know more about it. In a sense you're scanning suits, stopping in a suit with nothing in it. Maybe not the best for grand slam bidding? Which is a minor consideration.

So I suppose opener's 4M shows a minimum and then optional RKC responses over that?

What if instead opener bid 4N or 5m. 5m a minimum? 4N?

Describer doesn't know the trump suit. Say bids 4H and asker then bids 5D. This says "Bid on with extras including good diamonds". (Where "good" is defined as Hx, Hxx, HHxx, etc.
Think of it as natural Denial Cue Bidding.

after 4D
4H = min or extras with bad hearts
4S = extras, good Hs, bad Ss
4NT = 9+ SPs
5C = extras, good majors, bad clubs ....

Can also use it after SPs known. Then functions as a trump ask.

#17 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-11, 07:42

Thanks a lot. That makes a lot of sense. I suppose with a good enough hand, responder could bid 4N, learn the trump suit and bid a grand. 11 QPs. Possibly 10?

Seems like there could be a potential for a conflict. Say I want clubs to be trump and the slave hand indicates bad spades (bids 4S) and I realize that we have two quick losers in the suit. I continue to 5C and partner having good clubs raises to 6. Is that just a negligible occurrence or do you have a way of putting on the brakes? Like opener bids 4N as a puppet....

#18 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-11, 20:56

Throwing this in the mix...

4.3. Relay Termination.

The 3♠/NT things always happens in strong club openings. 3♠ / NT
This is triggered (A) by the relays stopping at 3♠, or (B) a bid of 3♥ if the relays have stopped lower.
With 8 − 11/15+ points you bid 3♠, with 12 − 14 you bid 3 NT. After either of these bids 4♦ is the Puppet Terminator (see below), 4♣/♥/♠/NT are RKB in partners longest/next longest/etc. suit (ties broken in order ♣/♦/♥/♠), see below for continuations. 3NT over 3♠ is to play.
With 15+ you bid 4♣+ over a 3N T sign off/ 4♠+ over a 4♦ puppet showing 5−, 6, 7 . . . controls after which new suits are RKB in length order again, with 5NT as an attempt to sign off in a small slam (puppets 6♣).

The 3♠ puppet
The major alternative to the scheme above is to go straight into RKB / sign off / make a quan-
tative slam try. This isn’t always available (relays reach 3♠/NT) but normally is. At this point 3♠ puppets 3NT after which :
4♣ is RKB for partner’s “third” longest suit,
4♦ is the puppet terminator (which triggers 4♥ bid),
4♥/4♠/4N T /5♣/5♦ are mild slam tries to be accepted by a decent 12 − 14 point hands. These set trumps and after 4♥ − N T keycards (controls 4−, 5, . . . ) are shown when acccepting. After acceptance it is possible to play in a lower ranked suit slam (to facilitate 4 − 4 minor suit slams where you otherwise wish to play 4 of a major).
At the same time 3NT/4♣/4♦ direct are RKB for partner’s longest / second longest / shortest suits. If 3♥ is available then it is used for range as specified above. If 3♦ is available it acts as RKB
for the longest suit with 4♣ via 3♠ keeping its place as RKB for the third longest suit and 4♣ direct being RKB for the shortest suit.
N.B. 3♦ here will nearly always be range RKB. Plenty of space to sort it all out though :)
If you aren’t giving range and stop early then 3♠ puppet is still on but all other are RKB in normal length order including 3♥.

#19 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-12, 00:15

When pattern ends at 3S or 3N...

4C-QP ask
4D-terminator puppet
.....4S=base+3
4M-nf, invites RKC responses
.....reply=base+2

Apparently many use 5m as invitational, but if general strength is desired, but if base + 2 is enough why not use 4C QP ask?

Then we can use...

4N-ace asking
5m-nf, key card asking

The next question is what the responses should show.

For 4N
...............5C=0 for a semipositive, 0 or 1 for a positive, and 0, 1, or 2 for a strong club
...............5D=1 for a semipositive, 2 for a positive, and 3 for a strong club
...............5H=2 for a semipositive (not actually possible for us), 3 for a positive, and 4 for a strong club

For 5m
...............P=0 for a semipositive, 0 or 1 for a positive, and 0, 1, or 2 for a strong club
...............raise=1 for a semipositive, 2+ for a positive and 3+ for a strong club

Any opinions? Tweaks?

#20 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-12, 08:56

We currently do not use QP/controls after our relays, but use RKC instead. However when shape is resolved opener tend to know if responder is min/max (we only play full relays after our unbalanced 1D so there's plenty of space, and also over our 15-17 1NT where opener is very limited). We also have some other relay methods, but then the full shape is not resolved. I've been thinking of using a variation of Mulberry, especially if the bidding ends at 3S or 3NT:

4C = Puppet to 4D. RKC in one of the three longest suits, or a maximal slam try.
...4D
.....4H/S/NT = RKC longest, second longest, second shortest
.....5X = Natural maximum slam try. Responder usually accepts.
4D = End signal or RKC in partner's shortest suit.
...4H
......Pass/4S/5m = To play
......4NT = RKC in responder's shortest suit.
4M = Natural slam try.
4NT = Quant
5m = Natural slam try.

I'm not sure how we would modify it if the pattern stops below 3S (which it usually does) though. Probably we won't change the method since the relays are rather cumbersome to remember already, and not that frequent.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users